General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston/New Orleans-good route?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007 | 12:30 AM
spike95
|
Road Master
Default Houston/New Orleans-good route?

I just wondered if anyone knows a nice route to take from Houston to New Orleans. I'm looking for something with a little less traffic,but not too terribly far off course. Anyone have a nice route? Thanks for your help guys!

Spike

Old 07-30-2007 | 06:41 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Houston/New Orleans-good route?

I don't know many back ways from Houston to Lake Charles but once in Lake Charles you can take SR14 down through Abbeville then hit Hwy 90. Down through Houma and then on to New Orleans. I have ridden it several times and it is a nice ride but I have not ridden it since Katrina/Rita so I don't know the shape of the roads now.

Old 07-30-2007 | 07:06 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior

This may take you too far off course but it's a decent ride, plan on it being an all day affair.

Take I-10 to Winnie and pick up hwy 73 into Port Acres.

Take West Levee road that will turn into hwy 82. This is the long stretch, stay on hwy 82 into LA, it will also be named the Creole Nature Trail. You'll do a lot of up and down but the road will keep going east.

Follow it into Abbeville and pick up hwy 14 untiljustwest of New Iberia.

Get on US 90E and it will bring you all the way into New Orleans.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2007 | 02:34 PM
Philip1228
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

I don't know many back ways from Houston to Lake Charles but once in Lake Charles you can take SR14 down through Abbeville then hit Hwy 90. Down through Houma and then on to New Orleans. I have ridden it several times and it is a nice ride but I have not ridden it since Katrina/Rita so I don't know the shape of the roads now.
We ride this often and the roads are pretty good. Especially through the New Iberia, Franklin area. The last two governers are from thier so you know thats were the money is for infrastructure.

Old 07-31-2007 | 06:05 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Philip1228 We ride this often and the roads are pretty good. Especially through the New Iberia, Franklin area. The last two governers are from thier so you know thats were the money is for infrastructure.
Thanks for the info. Been quite awhile since we have been over that way. Will have to make a trip that direction.

Old 07-31-2007 | 06:40 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member

why would anyone want to go to NO? Crime is up, murder is up, it smells like a sewer. Good place to get bike stolen.

Old 07-31-2007 | 10:22 AM
RoadkillRon
Cruiser

I- 10 has construction in Beaumont and from Lake Charles to LA-165. I know a back road from Houston's Geo. Bush Airport. FM-1960 in Humble, Huffman, Dayton, then hwy 90 thruLiberty, Devers, Nome, China, to I -10.

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:19 AM
spike95
|
Road Master

"why would anyone want to go to NO? Crime is up, murder is up, it smells like a sewer. Good place to get bike stolen."

...because my best friend lives there now and because, despite the criminals, I love New Orleans. My buddy lives in a nice part of Gretna where I'm not so worried about parking my bike.Besides, I live in Houston and myarea has been overrun with Katrina evacuees. I don't even want to get started on how I feel about that... Going to New Orleans would probably be a nice break from them! Thanks for all your help, guys!

Old 07-31-2007 | 11:50 AM
ride99fxd
Cruiser

I don't remember the numbers, but you go north to Livingston, then east into LA, then south to Lake Charles. Scenic ride, but that may be too far out of your way.

Old 07-31-2007 | 01:12 PM
Philip1228
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: RoadkillRon

I- 10 has construction in Beaumont and from Lake Charles to LA-165. I know a back road from Houston's Geo. Bush Airport. FM-1960 in Humble, Huffman, Dayton, then hwy 90 thruLiberty, Devers, Nome, China, to I -10.
I like FM-1960 as well. Better than interstate imo. As far as visiting New Orleans, it is not a bad place to visit, just would not live thier. A new company has taken over cleaning up the streets in the quarter since the hurricane and it is much better. They wash it down and pick up the trash. Smells better too. The last two visits my wife and I had there on the bike was real nice. We went the the Audaban(sp?) house and ate oysters on the half shell with some coooooooold beer. Then we went listen to some jazz in one of the cornor bars and had some more cooooooold beer. Pretty good time. I would worry more about my bike being stolen in Houston and taken South b4 N.O. All the thugs are thier now with the illegals.[sm=lol.gif]

Quick Reply: Houston/New Orleans-good route?