General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Houston/New Orleans-good route?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007 | 03:23 AM
spike95
|
Road Master
Default RE: Houston/New Orleans-good route?

Navychief. I was studying my map tonight and that Hwy 82 route looks really interesting. I was wondering what the quality of the road is, are there a lot of traffic signals, places for gas/food?Roughly how long does it take you to make it from Port Acres to Abbeville? This will be my girlfriend's first long ride so I'm trying to keep it within reason. I am still trying to perfect my bike for mild distance riding. I've done mainly barhopping and commuting on it up until now. I've got some time off work so now I'm itching to do the traveling I haven't had time for since I got the bike.

Old 08-01-2007 | 05:29 AM
TraumaKing
Banned
Default RE: Houston/New Orleans-good route?

ORIGINAL: spike95

"why would anyone want to go to NO? Crime is up, murder is up, it smells like a sewer. Good place to get bike stolen."

...because my best friend lives there now and because, despite the criminals, I love New Orleans. My buddy lives in a nice part of Gretna where I'm not so worried about parking my bike.Besides, I live in Houston and myarea has been overrun with Katrina evacuees. I don't even want to get started on how I feel about that... Going to New Orleans would probably be a nice break from them! Thanks for all your help, guys!
Other than the storm the crime is the same the city is a cest pool and always has been ! It was the murder capital of the U.S. for some time prior to the storm , noe it's being used as an excuse! They keep the Quarter up for tourists but let's not fool ourselves about NOLA it is the city that care forgot and has been that way since I was a child as I was raised and went to school there, Gretna is on the west bank and that place is 10 times worse than the east bank! Especialy Algiers and the Fisher housing projects!

The interstate is okay at best ( I-10) but Hwy 90 ( Chef Mentuer) in east N.O pot holes and missing roadway are a normal occurence ( even before the storm). New Iberia, Thibideaux, Homa and Lafeyette are descent places and somewhat desolate between the town and personally find the area relaxing. Stay out of the city and suburbs, Kenner, Metarie and lower Jefferson Parrish. The Lakefront is a nice area and beautifull ride and is away from the inner city scum.

Another route you may want to go is Airline Hwy ( 61) through Baton Rouge that is a fairly layed back route.