General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how many miles did you ride today ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2024 | 09:28 AM
phil48315
Road Warrior
Received 1,639 Likes on 510 Posts

Nothing today or the next few days....

The following users liked this post:
pgreer (03-22-2024)
Old 03-24-2024 | 06:29 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 6,223 Likes on 2,251 Posts

I got about 100 miles in today to "burn in" the new plugs before dropping it off for the dyno tune tomorrow.
It was a nice day, but still a little chilly here in SoCal.
I'm glad it wasn't raining today.
I averaged 27MPG on today's ride.
I wonder how much better it will get after the tune?
Supposed to rain again next weekend so if I can't ride, I'll just clean it and maybe get the tourpack dialed back in.

Old 03-24-2024 | 06:39 PM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,917 Likes on 818 Posts

After a week of snowy wintery weather, I finally got a chance to test ride the shift pawl replacement, and carb swap/rebuild. Put in around 125 miles in the low 40s/high 30s, but sunny at least! .

The carb performed flawlessly. I was able to run the revs trough all the gears, and there was no fuel starvation behaviour. I guess my original carb was screwed up for quite a long time...I first experienced the running out of fuel at high revs thing in 2022! The weather is supposed to get better as the week goes on, so I'm going to track my fuel economy, and see if the jetting seems off. I had put a 48 pilot and 200 main in to try to richen things up, but now I am thinking it may be TOO rich, so I'm going to see what's what. Not that it really matters. Next week, the CV44 I have will be getting installed.

The transmission shifts like butter. Better than I can remember, actually. Makes me think the pawl weld was breaking over a fairly long period of time before finally letting go. Not sure if this is pawl related, or I just finally NAILED my clutch adjustment, but the transmission slips into neutral with almost zero effort now. Also, the first gear "clunk" is pretty much gone! The icing on the cake: no leaks!!

Another thing I was testing out today, was the Gerbing EX-Pro heated pants I bought on sale during the winter. Like the heated socks, these are a game changer. Along with the Warm and Safe heated base layer shirt, California Heat gloves, and Reaper's heated grips, I was out in high 30s/low 40s with a strong headwind most of the time, running highway speeds, for 3+ hours, and I was completely comfortable. I can easily ride all day long in these temps now. The pants, like the socks, didn't need to be cranked up to keep my legs toasty. In fact over about 1/2, they got too hot (like the socks). I have a dual wireless controller for the shirt and gloves, and I got a single wireless controller for the pants and socks, which was a good decision on my part. I had the shirt and gloves pegged, but the pants/socks at half. If I had just used the dual controller, I would have either had cold hands or burning legs and feet! When I used to wear fleece lined jeans, and my heavy FCL leather overpants, eventually my legs would get cold. No matter which "arctic" socks I wore, my toes would always wind up getting very cold, and the Gerbing heated gloves always allowed my fingertips, and thumb to eventually get cold. The California Heat ones have kept my hands toasty all over for the duration.

So, al in all, today was a good one!

Cheers!

Last edited by Clammy; 03-24-2024 at 06:53 PM.
07UltraGuy (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024 | 06:50 PM
Rusty Springs
Road Captain
Received 558 Likes on 318 Posts

About 5 gallons worth today.

07UltraGuy (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024 | 08:17 PM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,039 Likes on 521 Posts

137 miles today. Temperature was in the 40s but sunny and no wind. Great day, was trying new mount for my Insta360 and catching some blooming.
On my way back; Rt 9 returning to VA.

07UltraGuy (03-24-2024)
Old 03-28-2024 | 07:58 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 390 Likes on 216 Posts

Just 50 miles round trip to work and back.

Weather in Pittsburgh has been spotty.

Old 03-30-2024 | 02:16 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,967 Likes on 990 Posts

177 miles from the Villages to Ponce Inlet, Florida for lunch on a perfect riding day.

Old 03-30-2024 | 02:48 PM
DaveyFB
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,089 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Originally Posted by rideonva
137 miles today. Temperature was in the 40s but sunny and no wind. Great day, was trying new mount for my Insta360 and catching some blooming.
On my way back; Rt 9 returning to VA.
What Insta360 do you have ? Mount ?
Just bought the Ace Pro, need to mount it

Old 03-30-2024 | 03:30 PM
MilsurpShooter
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,842 Likes on 6,376 Posts

About 80 Miles. Was supposed to be more, sadly, but it didn't work out that way.

Headed up north to get lotto at a place which is one of the luckiest in my state. Ain't a quick trip, but it was not a bad day. 58 degrees, windy, but with a hoodie, my vest, and my leather jacket and gauntlet gloves, more than enough to keep the chill out. Putted around town, did some errands. Jumped on a local parkway headed up, figured I'd stop and get gas before I crossed the bridge, as the place where the lotto store isn't exactly the nicest.

Filled up, geared back up, hit the starter and *click, click, click*. Well crap. Tried again, got it to turn over twice but didn't catch before going back to the clicking. Walked it over to a parking spot and let it sit for a minute. Got something to drink out of the gas station, sat and had a smoke before tried it one last time. No go.

Fished my tools out of the saddlebag, took the bolt for the seat off, popped the thumb screw for the pan and started checking the wires, hoping something worked its way loose. Nope, everything tight as when I installed the battery.

Thankfully, a friend of mine lives about 5 minutes down the road from the gas station. Gave him a call, said he was on his way out the door in about 20 minutes, so good timing on my part. Brought a jump pack, had to do some maneuvering to get the clamps on the terminals, but we made it work. Bike started right up. Fancy jump pack he has, tells you the voltage and the like, voltage climbed to 14 and danced between that and 14.2 so we knew it was charging.

Bought him a cup of coffee, and we were both on our way. I headed back south to get the bike home. No problems. Too late today to go and get the battery from anywhere. I'm off Monday and Tuesday, so will take care of it then.

I'm just glad it didn't crap out in the parking lot of the lotto place. Where it chose to crap out, well I've got about 4 or 5 different people within 10 minutes of the gas station I could have called, thankfully.

Old 03-30-2024 | 06:00 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 608 Likes on 442 Posts

Just got back from a 100 mile ride. Temps in the mid to upper 60's. Nice ride thru farm country. Felt great to be back on 2 wheels.

Quick Reply: So how many miles did you ride today ?