General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So how many miles did you ride today ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023 | 02:47 PM
Steve Sportster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,096 Posts

About 175 miles from my home in Fort Wayne down to Anderson, Indiana today. Lunch at a Culvers (very crowded), turned around and headed home. Traffic was not bad on I-69. Filled up the 5-gal tank with 4.3 gal after 208 miles (rode about 45 the other day). Reserve light came on as I pulled up to the pump. 48 mpg, mostly 70 mph on Interstate.

The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Sportster:
Cosmic Razorback (07-04-2023), tmac00333 (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023 | 03:01 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,707 Likes on 3,326 Posts

Around 110 miles riding all around west central Indiana. Beautiful day here in Indiana!

The following 2 users liked this post by firehawk6:
Cosmic Razorback (07-04-2023), Steve Sportster (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023 | 03:20 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 390 Likes on 216 Posts

About a 146 up to the Summit on Rt 40 past Uniontown Pennsylvania. Got to the Summit and was going to head to Ohiopyle, but the fog and the misty rain you could barely see 40 feet in front of you. We decided to head back down the mountain into the valley where it was much clearer.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023 | 06:26 PM
wombat457
Road Master
Received 302 Likes on 188 Posts

Around 300, in my head - still waiting to get the bike back thanks to the 4th of July

Old 07-04-2023 | 06:56 PM
StoneTrekker
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,980 Likes on 955 Posts

Headed south to Kentucky and some real backroads down toward Cave Run Lake. First thing was to pack the soft Yeti with lunches, drinks, and snacks. It fits very nicely in the Tour Pak.

We rolled south through Ohio and crossed the river into Kentucky. Traffic was surprisingly light. I guess people were feeling hung over from fireworks and firewater. At Grayson, KY we stopped for a short break and some hydration. The Hogs Trough is a local favorite, and was closed so we used their lot and shot some photos for friends.

"Think they're open"?

"I don't see anyone. What's wrong with this place"?

It was too early for lunch, and besides we had that covered anyway. One last pic and back on the road.

From Grayson it was all superb 2 lane routes south and southwest to the lake. Cave Run is a big impoundment and we ride down there at least once every summer. We ate our lunch just below the enormous dam and watched a parade of cars and motorcycles cross it on the road above us.

We fueled at Morehead, KY and checked radar. Some storm cells were brewing and we figured we'd better take the slab home. At the last possible minute I made an executive decision to risk it and run a long series of 2 lane routes through classic old-Kentucky farm country and big hills. Much of the farms we passed held huge old barns which were once used to hang and cure burley tobacco. Now those barns are falling into serious disrepair and gradually being reclaimed 100+ years after being built. If barns could talk....such stories! We love farm things of course.

Our final stop was another hydration break at Vanceburg, KY...an old town established in the late 1700s at a salt lick near the Ohio River. The story has it that 2 men worked together to accomplish the town's establishment. When the land was granted to them they agreed to flip a coin for naming rights. Mr Vance lost but his partner (Baird) ended up suggesting Vanceburg sounded better than Bairdstown. Anyway...we used the shade of a huge walnut tree next to a Catholic church for our break. Built into the hillside behind the church was this memorial to Mary Magdalene. We admired the old stonework (do I need to explain?) and commented about the determination someone had to build the rock walls and entire display.

From there it was a 70 mile no-breaks ride home. We dodged one heavy rain cell and got in unscathed. 234 miles of very entertaining riding.

Happy Independence Day!

The following 2 users liked this post by StoneTrekker:
Cosmic Razorback (07-04-2023), Tommy C (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023 | 07:21 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 1,025 Likes on 503 Posts

169 leisurely miles….

Old 07-04-2023 | 07:47 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,278 Likes on 7,399 Posts

Originally Posted by StoneTrekker
Headed south to Kentucky and some real backroads down toward Cave Run Lake. First thing was to pack the soft Yeti with lunches, drinks, and snacks. It fits very nicely in the Tour Pak.

We rolled south through Ohio and crossed the river into Kentucky. Traffic was surprisingly light. I guess people were feeling hung over from fireworks and firewater. At Grayson, KY we stopped for a short break and some hydration. The Hogs Trough is a local favorite, and was closed so we used their lot and shot some photos for friends.

"Think they're open"?

"I don't see anyone. What's wrong with this place"?

It was too early for lunch, and besides we had that covered anyway. One last pic and back on the road.

From Grayson it was all superb 2 lane routes south and southwest to the lake. Cave Run is a big impoundment and we ride down there at least once every summer. We ate our lunch just below the enormous dam and watched a parade of cars and motorcycles cross it on the road above us.

We fueled at Morehead, KY and checked radar. Some storm cells were brewing and we figured we'd better take the slab home. At the last possible minute I made an executive decision to risk it and run a long series of 2 lane routes through classic old-Kentucky farm country and big hills. Much of the farms we passed held huge old barns which were once used to hang and cure burley tobacco. Now those barns are falling into serious disrepair and gradually being reclaimed 100+ years after being built. If barns could talk....such stories! We love farm things of course.

Our final stop was another hydration break at Vanceburg, KY...an old town established in the late 1700s at a salt lick near the Ohio River. The story has it that 2 men worked together to accomplish the town's establishment. When the land was granted to them they agreed to flip a coin for naming rights. Mr Vance lost but his partner (Baird) ended up suggesting Vanceburg sounded better than Bairdstown. Anyway...we used the shade of a huge walnut tree next to a Catholic church for our break. Built into the hillside behind the church was this memorial to Mary Magdalene. We admired the old stonework (do I need to explain?) and commented about the determination someone had to build the rock walls and entire display.

From there it was a 70 mile no-breaks ride home. We dodged one heavy rain cell and got in unscathed. 234 miles of very entertaining riding.

Happy Independence Day!

Nice Ride!

StoneTrekker (07-05-2023)
Old 07-04-2023 | 10:32 PM
rideonva
Road Master
Received 1,039 Likes on 521 Posts

230 miles today. Hit storms couple times around Front Royal - 1st time approaching, then, went further south on 340 and just as my pants dried out got into another one lol. Not complaining, it was a welcome temp drop. Then got on 211 and got me “oh crap” moments - leaned too aggressively into a curve, foot board scraped hard and I could feel my rear tire started to slide, decreased lean a bit and recovered. Definitely gets your attention lol.

Old 07-06-2023 | 03:52 PM
Rob Harper
Road Warrior
Received 2,523 Likes on 804 Posts

Rode down to the beach last Friday and home yesterday July 5. Did some riding while I was there. Got wet riding home yesterday. Total for the long weekend = 474.

MedicineBow (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023 | 08:30 PM
1185Wak#her18
Road Captain
Received 390 Likes on 216 Posts

Did about 75 miles today to work and back, with a couple of stops for beer, wine and cigars for the weekend.

Rob Harper (07-10-2023)

Quick Reply: So how many miles did you ride today ?