General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudest Legal Pipes ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:07 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,195 Likes on 1,827 Posts
Default RE: Loudest Legal Pipes ?

ORIGINAL: Finn111

I have the SE Slip-on's for my '07 FXSTC and they have the EPA/CARB stamp on the underside of the pipes.
Legal in California!
The Screamin Chicken mufflers I got in 05 aren'tEPA legal. Just looked at them and they statethey do not comply with EPA noise levels, or somesuch. Also stamped on them not for road use.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:07 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Negative on the Cats in the pipes. My '07 Heritage had no Cats on the stock pipes or on the S.E. slip ons. I live in Calif. and the bike was purchased here.
The S.E.'s are legal in Calif. they have all the necessary stampings on them. They certainly are not as loud as the S.E. II's.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No DB laws yet here in PA. I know it's just a matter of time but many staes have DB laws while many do not.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:11 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: monkyman

This is a BS law, why must you have to use an original equiptment exhaust system on a bike and not a car? Does that mean I can't get a car exhaust installed at Midas if this law was equal? I would have to get it at the car dealer?

What if I were to install quiet (same dbl as stock) baffles in my pipes, i'm still going to get a ticket for non-stock exhaust?

I can understand strait pipes being illegal, but baffled pipes should not be.
You're right. This goes back to the old "Bikers Are Scum" mentality that still pervades city councils everywhere. Denver, CO, is a prime example. For all motor vehicles, the officer must use a sound meter. EXCEPT motorcycles. If the officers feels you're too loud, and you don't have the EPA stamp, you're guilty. period. Same thing here in Colorado Springs.

It's not fair. Fair comes around once a year.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: marcss

I think in California in 2006 and everywhere else in 2007 all the stock pipes have Cats in them. So I would imagine aftermarket would have to have them too in order to be "legal" or get an epa stamp. I still think it is rediculous to put cats in theselittle two cyclinder engines. We should be encouraging people to use motorcycles instead of discouraging them. Think of the huge reduction in pollution and congestion if a majority of people were going to work on motorcycles instead of giant 8 cylinder engined SUV's!
No changes to the exhaust in 06 except Dynas which had the same O2 sensors as the 07. There are NO CATs, theO2 sensor keeps the fuel mixture at an EPA friendly 14.7:1 AFR....

CA law specifically does not actually prohibit changing the exhaust as long as all of the emissions items are still in place. It's the EPA stamp they are going for because it is the only way to tell a bike is within the noise level without buying DB meters.....I put the vehicle code for CAin the Temecula tread. https://www.hdforums.com/m_1973946/m...tm.htm#1982231

The EPAcrapis just vague enough to make turning on your bike illegal.