General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 11:42 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,988 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
I think it's more a question of expectation. Short or average height riders tend to hang off one side of these bikes a bit. Two wheels plus one foot is a solid tripod platform and all you really need. Flat footing the bike on both sides is not a requirement. So I do think there is a bit of a learning curve for the traditional Harley duck footing cognoscenti.

It does require a bit of thinking before you come to a stop. Are you going to cover the back brake or are you going to cover the gearshift for a quicker and more elegant getaway? What is the camber on the road, etc...?

But the ARH should certainly make the PanAm more accessible to many people that have traditionally looked at an adventure bike and said "too high".

Of course, the trade off of a higher bike is the longer suspension travel. Which makes for a better ride.
True on the duck walk.

The Pan America does put more people in range of being able to flat foot if you get the Automatic Ride Height and the low seat, its 29 seat high, about 4 inches lower than any other ADV bike.

Originally Posted by slw210
You are supposed to stop with left foot down, it's a safety thing, stop how you like though, but flat footing is overrated. I posted videos in another recent thread, not repeating all of that here. Also, if you feel the need, there are videos online to show how short people properly maneuver the motorcycle without duckwalking, short or not, duckwalk is not necessary.

Proper stop......This tip will help you stop a motorcycle with more control - YouTube
I agree, yet more people duck walk than not if you go to anyplace with quite a few Harleys around. No need to put feet down until stopped, no need to start and leave your feat down.

Pan America is very interesting. I met and Rode with one of the Engineers on the Pan America power train this past week end. Learned a lot of interesting stuff about the bike and the testing. I'm pretty sure I'll be adding one to my stable.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:44 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
There was a video at a HD dealer where a 29 inch inseam rider flatfooted the Pan American with active suspension - it has to be running for the suspension to lower
That's good to know. I haven't seen any numbers regarding the seat height of the Pan Am with the suspension in the low position. It stands to reason that HD would try to match the seat height of the BMW R1250GS w/ Low Suspension option. It's also good that HD and BMW offer three seat thicknesses for their ADV bikes.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:56 PM
ChrisHo
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,523 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
That's good to know. I haven't seen any numbers regarding the seat height of the Pan Am with the suspension in the low position. It stands to reason that HD would try to match the seat height of the BMW R1250GS w/ Low Suspension option. It's also good that HD and BMW offer three seat thicknesses for their ADV bikes.
Found it

The following users liked this post:
RK4ME (06-07-2021)
Old 06-07-2021, 03:32 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,478 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by slw210
You are supposed to stop with left foot down, it's a safety thing, stop how you like though, but flat footing is overrated. I posted videos in another recent thread, not repeating all of that here. Also, if you feel the need, there are videos online to show how short people properly maneuver the motorcycle without duckwalking, short or not, duckwalk is not necessary.
Well, yes and no. You are "supposed" to be able to stop effectively and safely with EITHER foot down. If you stop left foot down, then you get to cover the rear brake to stop you rolling forwards or backwards. But you either need to hold the clutch in, or move your foot off the ground to select gear from neutral when you move off.

If you stop with the right foot down, then you can do your braking with the front brake, keep your left foot on the gear and simply snick into gear to move off.

I have looked at a lot of motorcycle cops (here in the UK) and they pretty much favour right for down at a stop (Google the "Hendon Shuffle"), but it certainly depends on the road surface underneath the bike when you stop, the amount of time you expect to be stopped and the gradient of the road.

Not trying to start an argument - just adding some colour.

The following users liked this post:
Marsikus (06-07-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 10:39 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Went to the races at Road America yesterday and it turned out HD was having demo rides. And yes, they had Panamericas to ride so I signed up. I’m posting from my phone so this will be brief. They hit it out of the park. They removed the three biggest issues HD has - weight/speed/ride. The PA is FAST. Faster than my FJ09 I suspect. It has to be the fastest Harley ever built. It handles curves beautifully even on knobbies. And the ride. Oh the ride! Its a dream come true for this Midwesterner who has been punished for decades by our terrible roads. Just set the mode to “dirt” and all the bumps just disappear and you float down the shitty road in absolute comfort. This alone may be enough to get me to buy.

the bike I rode -

So yes, its a winner. Having ridden and owned GSs I can say I prefer this bike hands down.

Any complaints? Minor ones. I wonder why they changed from the best turn signal buttons of any bike (one for left and one for right) to the shitty single button on the left control. That was a mistake. And its hard to activate. The other thing is the sound - not exactly soul stirring. No, Im not expecting it to sound like a straight pipe Shovel, but it sounds like, well, a Polaris.

That’s about it. The seat was in the lowest position so it was too tight for me but they told me it will go up another 1.5 inches so it should be acceptable at least.

If they move this technology into a sport tourer, I’m all in. Are you listening HD?

The following 5 users liked this post by nevada72:
'05Train (06-14-2021), Marsikus (06-13-2021), RGS88 (06-13-2021), RK4ME (06-13-2021), soldierbot (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 01:14 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Is that regular or special?

Old 06-13-2021, 02:26 PM
gscully
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsikus
Is that regular or special?
I think regular. The specials are the orange and white.

I sat on one at the dealership today. It took me three tries to get my leg over the seat. It does have a bunch of buttons. It’s a really nice bike.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:14 PM
RGS88
Road Warrior
Received 1,992 Likes on 781 Posts

Such a cool bike, really glad HD went through with it. I remember the skepticism from many (myself included) when they first started teasing this and the streetfighter concept.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:57 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,206 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by gscully
I think regular. The specials are the orange and white.

I sat on one at the dealership today. It took me three tries to get my leg over the seat. It does have a bunch of buttons. It’s a really nice bike.
No, its a special. Specials come with engine guards, center stand, etc. Orange and white is not the only color.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jed Clampett:
'05Train (06-14-2021), nevada72 (06-13-2021)
Old 06-13-2021, 06:09 PM
Hukamash
Intermediate
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Also the Specials have the bar and shield decal, Base has the "H-D" on the tank.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form