General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 09:53 PM
HockeyCoach
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Questioning whether or not adventure bikes are good for this or that really isn't the point. The point is they are a very successful category of bike. The GS may have saved BMW from extinction. Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, and to a lesser extent, others have learned that they can sell a shitload of bikes in this category regardless of who uses it where. And the aftermarket for these bikes is massive.

So the real question is - Did Harley Davidson get it right as far as making a competitive bike in the heavy adventure category?

No one can answer that yet. It certainly looks as capable as any bike out there. The numbers seem to indicate that it will be competitive. If I were in the market for such a bike I would at least test ride one and price shop vs the competition.
I think you've got it exactly right.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 02:02 AM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,129 Posts

What happens if one takes motocross stunts on ADV too seriously
(GS is often called “Goose”)

Old 12-15-2020, 09:27 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

I'm in awe at the climate and trail difference between Calif and say the midwest. This is where I ride, it's just 15 mins from my house. 8 trails, this is one of the easier ones but you can see, no Pan America is going to make the cut. A lot of this is mountain side, if you fall, you fall hundreds of feet hopefully sliding

Marsikus (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 10:22 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,065 Likes on 12,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I'm in awe at the climate and trail difference between Calif and say the midwest. This is where I ride, it's just 15 mins from my house. 8 trails, this is one of the easier ones but you can see, no Pan America is going to make the cut. A lot of this is mountain side, if you fall, you fall hundreds of feet hopefully sliding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA-29OseaF0
Other than the technical part and endless drop offs we do have single track much like that. Our drops are 50 feet at most but it's still enough to wreck your day. Most of our single track is in tight pine forests with lots of sand. Some of the more popular (or easier to get to anyway) ones are deeply rutted like the one shown in Michigan. Those are a major pita and I don't enjoy them. Unless you have a really high clearance you end up duck walking the bike through those sections because the pegs are dragging through the rut and you can't even keep your feet on them. It's absolutely no fun and very slow going. Then the mosquitos and ticks, but don't get me started.

We do have trails much like the California one shown as far as the technical part. Unfortunately it's Mountain Bike or hiking only. I broke my hand going over the bars on a downhill technical section much like the one in the vid.

Oldskewl (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 10:47 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts
Old 12-15-2020, 11:51 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan D.
I will say that KTM is a bike that rides lighter than it is. By that I mean the 790 and bigger bikes are more trail worthy than they would appear to be. I recall two instances where I was greatly impressed.

One time was on a technical section of the TAT in Arkansas. I was on my 525exc which made short work of anything there. But another guy was on a 990 Adventure. He was able to pick through some very steep drop off, rock gardens, clear fallen trees, and cross rocky creeks right behind me. Granted, he was a very skilled rider. But there was no way my big GS would have made it through that stuff.

Another time was on a trail up in northern Wisconsin and upper Michigan. It was a fast, sandy trail with some moderate climbs. The guy behind me was on a KTM Super Enduro 950. Man.....that is one helluva bike. Kind of stupid, but in a very cool way. I may end up having one someday. Anyway, we were blasting hard up a climb at speed and then he just disappeared. Turns out he hit a step (basically a sharp rise in the trail that looks like a curb) on the climb and looped his bike into the weeds. We spent a while putting it back together so he could limp it back to camp, but it was pretty tweaked. The point is, out of maybe a dozen other bikes ranging from DRZs, DR650s, WR250s, and a Honda 650XR (yeah, the good 650) this was the only guy on my tail light the whole way. That bike was impressive.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:55 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

Arguably the best bike KTM ever made...

Old 12-15-2020, 12:03 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Other than the technical part and endless drop offs we do have single track much like that. Our drops are 50 feet at most but it's still enough to wreck your day. Most of our single track is in tight pine forests with lots of sand. Some of the more popular (or easier to get to anyway) ones are deeply rutted like the one shown in Michigan. Those are a major pita and I don't enjoy them. Unless you have a really high clearance you end up duck walking the bike through those sections because the pegs are dragging through the rut and you can't even keep your feet on them. It's absolutely no fun and very slow going. Then the mosquitos and ticks, but don't get me started.

We do have trails much like the California one shown as far as the technical part. Unfortunately it's Mountain Bike or hiking only. I broke my hand going over the bars on a downhill technical section much like the one in the vid.

I Couldn't find videos of the double diamond trails. I've done them a couple times but not in the last 8-10 years. My body can't hold up through the brutal tree climbs, rock climbs and ruts. I don't think you ever get out of 2nd gear on those diamond trails. Guys with dozens of years experience get life flighted out of there all the time. I took my son who was racing enduro class on those diamond runs and we turned around. I had my trails bike and could do it no problem but my legs lock up after a couple hours anymore.

nevada72 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 12:42 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
I Couldn't find videos of the double diamond trails. I've done them a couple times but not in the last 8-10 years. My body can't hold up through the brutal tree climbs, rock climbs and ruts. I don't think you ever get out of 2nd gear on those diamond trails. Guys with dozens of years experience get life flighted out of there all the time. I took my son who was racing enduro class on those diamond runs and we turned around. I had my trails bike and could do it no problem but my legs lock up after a couple hours anymore.
Yeah, we don't have anything like that here. The only place I've ridden where I had to turn around was in Moab. on Poison Spider. There's some rock sections that you damn near have to be a trials rider to get over rock walls.

Here's a section that was a combination of some mild rock stuff and some pretty good sand holes. The last part of the vid I'm doing about 80 MPH (according to the gps - I couldn't look down). I wish the sound was better. One could use a big GS maybe......but the suspension and wheels would have been beat to ****. The exc I was on had a superb suspension that soaked up everything. And it was light enough to float over the sand. In the vid the bike is off the ground for much of it at the end.

Last edited by nevada72; 12-15-2020 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
Dan D. (12-15-2020), Oldskewl (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

I did some google and found it. It's trail 6 at Foresthill. My son was 13 when we rode this and he couldn't do it. Takes a lot of skill and strength.
For reference trail 6 is about 24 miles long, you're DONE when you get back to the truck

This shows some good stuff.

This guy little less experience. I've done this in both soaking rain and mud and during 100+ temps. Nice to have a Rekluse.

Double Diamond.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oldskewl:
Dan D. (12-15-2020), Marsikus (12-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form