General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 11:04 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,048 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
I think that most buyers of an Adventure bike will never really take the bike off road beyond the occasional trip down a gravel or fire road. Based on what I read, those who do really take off-road trips like some here are the exception rather than the rule. I think part of the attraction is knowing you can do so rather than really planning on doing so.
Yup. The typical "Jeep" scenario. Most of them only see off-road when they miss the driveway.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
GOV5 (12-06-2020), MiniWolf (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 11:16 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I'm guessing that those European ADV bikes need the extra HP in case they find themselves on the Autobahn. Americans (usually) only need to keep up with 80 - 85 mph traffic.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:20 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,661 Likes on 9,534 Posts

I took my name off the list for the Pan Am for this year… I’m gonna spend some money on my Electraglide instead… I’ll revisit the whole idea after the ‘Rona is over.

Old 12-05-2020, 11:27 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

I used to occasionally drive the autobahn. Of course that was in '74 and in a '54 VW beetle. Lol. Believe me I STAYED in the right lane. Even then I got flashed at. I was like, what? There are no more lanes. If that road is kept up like CA freeways, I wouldn't feel safe over 85 anyway. Nothing like a nice 2" high transition when going over an over pass. There's one near me on hey 101 that will literally lift me off my seat on my Ultra, if I am doing over 60.

Sorry, back to the PA.

Old 12-05-2020, 12:02 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,048 Likes on 12,177 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
I took my name off the list for the Pan Am for this year… I’m gonna spend some money on my Electraglide instead… I’ll revisit the whole idea after the ‘Rona is over.
I'm surprised. Why the change?

Old 12-05-2020, 12:22 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm surprised. Why the change?
several reasons... one is that the Commercial driving school industry in BC is going to have a huge change made in it mid 2021... also, I am changing around our Car division significantly... I am hiring new staff to accommodate the changes and what I think will be a pretty big uptick in our intake right across the board... so I need to keep my eyes on the prize at the office... I also think that the border will NOT open up until the 'Rona is under control in both the US and in Canada... the needle starts to roll out in Jan... but it will take all of the winter, spring, and summer to get it into wide circulation... and a closed border means I wont be heading south... and If I do get to get away, Newfoundland is looking good, and what better for that road trip than Darla... another one is that my daughters mother is not doing well with her Cancer, so I am not even sure how much motorcycling I will get in next year... I will keep the PanAm on the back burner, but have already booked some work on the eGlide for Feb... exhaust, cams and a tuner... I will get my local guy to do the work... I have started a thread over in the M8 section that i will run during the event... that should be "some fun for '21"... I need the diversion from work.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 01:14 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Yup. The typical "Jeep" scenario. Most of them only see off-road when they miss the driveway.
Don't know about your area but If I had a dime for every time I see one of these spare wheel covers on a brand new shiny Jeep Wrangler, I would be rich. Not sure where they wander or why anyone with think you might be lost on your way to the local grocery store.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:41 PM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,898 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Don't know about your area but If I had a dime for every time I see one of these spare wheel covers on a brand new shiny Jeep Wrangler, I would be rich. Not sure where they wander or why anyone with think you might be lost on your way to the local grocery store.
Same I see here in Abu Dhabi often, people buy big offroad trucks pretending they are going for dune bashing, and... never leave a highway

Old 12-05-2020, 03:20 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I've owned big Adventure bikes and Harleys for the last 20 years (polycyclinder Japanese bikes for the last 30). Big adventure bikes are really just touring bikes with good suspension travel for crappy roads, can haul big loads, and cover big miles. They really suck on loose stuff, gravel, and sand because of their weight. It is really a hard challenge to make a do it all adventure bike.

Big weight for the highway
Low weight for the trails
Tubeless for the highway
Tubes for the trails
Multi cylinder for the highway
Single cylinder for the trails
6-7 gallons of fuel for the highway
2-3 gallons of fuel for the trails
Shaft drive for the highway
Chain for the trails

It's almost impossible to find the right compromise. I currently have (in addition to my Road King) a ST1100 Tenere Yamaha and I'm about to buy a 700cc Tenere. 3 bikes to cover my needs and that's a low number for me (I'm usually around 6 but I've been has high as 12).

Seeing knobbies and a chain on the bike makes me wonder if Harley knows how it will be used? 2000 miles on the highway and those knobbies will be gone.

I hope they do well on the Pan-America but it's hard to beat a 1200cc Tenere for what it is but Yamaha will doesn't have the cachet of HD or BMW.

The following 3 users liked this post by ssls6:
Marsikus (12-05-2020), Sol-Invictus (12-06-2020), Walter White (12-07-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 03:25 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

I bought my jeep… So I don’t need to buy a snow shovel. I doubt I have 20 miles even on dirt roads on it... I haven’t owned a 2 Wheel Drive vehicle in the last 18 years.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (12-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form