General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Mart
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 293 Posts

Ducati have just launched a 1260cc, V4 Multistrada adventure bike. 170bhp, electronic controlled suspension, radar activated cruise, one finger screen adjustment. Tank, frame and even the mirrors built to accommodate standing on the pegs. A screen that enables visor up riding at 80mph. Rides like a fast sport tourer on tarmac. £15k to 18k. BMW, KTM and Ducati have the large Adventure tourers sewn up. Be tough to challenge that as a newcomer. Harley've been talking about it for so long, their new offering is possibly already obsolete.

Unless they can chuck them out at prices that are a good saving over the competition...

Last edited by Mart; 12-04-2020 at 05:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mart:
blap (12-04-2020), s-glide76 (12-04-2020)
Old 12-04-2020, 06:31 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm loving it, can't wait to ride one.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:19 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart
Ducati have just launched a 1260cc, V4 Multistrada adventure bike. 170bhp, electronic controlled suspension, radar activated cruise, one finger screen adjustment. Tank, frame and even the mirrors built to accommodate standing on the pegs. A screen that enables visor up riding at 80mph. Rides like a fast sport tourer on tarmac. £15k to 18k. BMW, KTM and Ducati have the large Adventure tourers sewn up. Be tough to challenge that as a newcomer. Harley've been talking about it for so long, their new offering is possibly already obsolete.

Unless they can chuck them out at prices that are a good saving over the competition...

If you are referring the the 1260 Enduro, its listed as 158hp, unless thats not the bike you referred to.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:51 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Originally Posted by Mart

You're talking about the UK and the EU markets, right?

Old 12-04-2020, 10:17 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,709 Likes on 1,141 Posts

How much horsepower does one need for adventure? Personally, I prefer torque a bit lower in the rpm range than 8k. Especially if you go off road. I remember the days when Honda came out with their Elsinore 2 strokes. I had an XL175 4 stroke and a friend had, I believe, was a 125 Elsinore. We swapped rides, while out in the hills. I tried to take of on his and stalled it about 3 times. He said I needed to rev it more. That thing was gutless when below half its redline. Admittedly, I am not a ***** to the wall dirt rider, never have been, but always loved trials type riding. That bike was useless, in my opinion, for "off road riding". Prob did ok on a race track, running at redline.

Now I know these new bikes are not like that, mainly because both hp and torque are higher, but I'd be willing to bet, a lowly 50hp 883 sporty, with proper suspension, would do anything, off road, that these bikes would do. All that horsepower does not mean much in that part of the "adventure".

Sure there are some that like doing 90 in the desert, but us average humans cannot even think of that. I mean, be real. My 2014 Ultra Classic, stage 1, 103", 900lb behemoth amazes me with its power. Yesterday, fartin around, getting on the freeway, it bounced on the triple digit mark in 4th gear. Hit 5th and it popped over it, just before I eased way back on the throttle. Now come on, if my bike, approx, 90hp and prob 110lb torque, can move that beast like that, how fast can you kill yourself, with 145 or 170?

A little disappointing of the Duc, was torque topped at around 80, decent, but not super impressive, but not till like 8700 rpm. So, you get off road, get into some deep sand and you're going to rev to almost 9 grand? These sound more like sport, than adventure bikes. At least the beemer keeps its torque fairly low in the band. Hopefully the HD will also. Like the old racer saying, "horsepower sells cars, but torque wins races".

Old 12-05-2020, 12:30 AM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,747 Posts

if i were younger maybe, but i know there are a lot of rubs in here

Old 12-05-2020, 03:30 AM
Mart
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
If you are referring the the 1260 Enduro, its listed as 158hp, unless thats not the bike you referred to.
No, new bike is the V4S Multistrada.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:29 AM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer
Received 427 Likes on 193 Posts

Love the looks. Yes a fender extension is needed or would be beneficial. It will be interesting to see if the adventure crowd accepts the PA. They are even more clickish than a lot of harley guys. If they don't accept the bike as an equal and let it in the club, then it won't last.

The power issues is way overblown. Some guys who ride adventure bikes think an occasional a dirt road is "offroading" Truth is, most are used for touring on the interstate with some highways and back roads. It will need to have good range and be comfortable for that purpose. If it achieves those goals it will pick up a lot of guys who prefer to buy American but have no choice. Just like us dirt guys.

Old 12-05-2020, 08:33 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,048 Likes on 12,177 Posts

I agree that the PA puts down plenty of power. I believe it's more than the GS offers. And the KTM and Duc are overkill. Which I like. But that power will not factor off-road. It will be a lot of fun on the pavement though.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:57 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I think that most buyers of an Adventure bike will never really take the bike off road beyond the occasional trip down a gravel or fire road. Based on what I read, those who do really take off-road trips like some here are the exception rather than the rule. I think part of the attraction is knowing you can do so rather than really planning on doing so.

The following users liked this post:
GOV5 (12-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form