Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 11:09 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by rhino1250
I have read this ENTIRE thread, and its a good one. The bike, before I really liked, but now am on the fence. Having said that, I am short, and when was the last time a short guy flat footed (both feet, lol) an adventure bike at a stoplight?

With my skills, or lack of, and declining strength, I would be relegated to something I could drag out of where I just got it stuck, and I think a bike like that is too much for me.

Now, this pic above, IMHO is BUTT UGLY. Wow. Looks like something steampunk. If I ever trade off my Ultra, for and ADV bike, I am fairly lucky. Within 40 miles, in two different directions, I have an HD dealer, that also sells BMW, a Honda dealer, a Kaw dealer, and in the other direction, a KTM dealer. Would have to seriously shop around.
I have seen a lot of comparisons of these to the HD touring bikes. One thing I can say from experience, is even the 1200's+ in the line up, all weigh about what my '07 Sportster weighed, about 560 wet. I have ridden my sportster in some nasty wind, like crossing the San Mateo bridge, in San Fran, and having to fight to NOT change lanes. After having my Ultra, and riding through winds just as nasty, as the rider, I still got beat on, but the bike stayed pointed where it was supposed to be. That extra 400lbs is good for something.

Good thread, ya'all keep the good banter going. Got to say, the two best posts I saw was, #1, the BMW softtail vs the HD adventure bike, and #2, the Ray Charles welding job. I chuckled hard at both.

Old 12-01-2020, 12:26 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,346 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Ok, fine... You win. 🙃

Edit: but for the record, I wasn't comparing the bikes, I was comparing the operator to Harley BOD. My guess is they'll miss horribly.

Edit^2: I must say your faith is commendable... You must be a religious man.
I would just like to see another Ford vs Ferrari story, harley has proven in the past (sometimes) that they can compete in sports outside of their usual field of expertise. I would like to see them do something different and be good at it. They spent years developing this bike and researching what is on the other bikes, specs, what people want with these types of bikes, etc... it's not like the past where they just slapped some performance parts on an existing model and called it something new. I think they actually put a little effort in this one and I hope it's a decent bike. I know it won't be the best but I don't think it will be the worst either

The following 2 users liked this post by rhino1250:
'05Train (12-04-2020), Dan D. (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 01:25 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Cool bike! I hope it sells. These are the best photos I’ve seen of it yet. Maybe it’ll give the BMW GSA a run for the money. I think it’s good to HD competing in this arena. Several years late...but better late than never.

The following users liked this post:
Sol-Invictus (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 07:08 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
I have read this ENTIRE thread, and its a good one. The bike, before I really liked, but now am on the fence. Having said that, I am short, and when was the last time a short guy flat footed (both feet, lol) an adventure bike at a stoplight?

With my skills, or lack of, and declining strength, I would be relegated to something I could drag out of where I just got it stuck, and I think a bike like that is too much for me.

Now, this pic above, IMHO is BUTT UGLY. Wow. Looks like something steampunk. If I ever trade off my Ultra, for and ADV bike, I am fairly lucky. Within 40 miles, in two different directions, I have an HD dealer, that also sells BMW, a Honda dealer, a Kaw dealer, and in the other direction, a KTM dealer. Would have to seriously shop around.
I have seen a lot of comparisons of these to the HD touring bikes. One thing I can say from experience, is even the 1200's+ in the line up, all weigh about what my '07 Sportster weighed, about 560 wet. I have ridden my sportster in some nasty wind, like crossing the San Mateo bridge, in San Fran, and having to fight to NOT change lanes. After having my Ultra, and riding through winds just as nasty, as the rider, I still got beat on, but the bike stayed pointed where it was supposed to be. That extra 400lbs is good for something.

Good thread, ya'all keep the good banter going. Got to say, the two best posts I saw was, #1, the BMW softtail vs the HD adventure bike, and #2, the Ray Charles welding job. I chuckled hard at both.
You brought up some important points. That was a great post.

I want to emphasize the weight point. HD is marketing this as an ADV TOURER, which means you RIDE it to the ADV destination, not HAUL it. It HAS to have some weight to it, or it will get blown all over the place on a highway. Folks often forget ADV riding is comprised of a few different riding styles, AND bikes. You're not going to be able to throw his bike around like a 350 lb KTM in the backwoods and rivers of Michigan. That's not ADV, that's DUAL Sport or Enduro. If that bike doesn't weigh at close to 600 lbs, it won't compete with the BMW, in my opinion.

Rider height: Harley makes bikes ALL folks can ride. Height doesn't matter because of low seat height. All ADV bikes are TALL, by design. That stat alone eliminates a LOT of riders, so the market size is reduced already, defined by not only competition but also HEIGHT.

Competition for it: Depends on where you live. You have many different dealers, selling different brands, where you live. YOU have a lot of choice. That isn't so everywhere. Dealer support is critical. Honda is everywhere. Harley is reducing dealers.

Price and Accessories: The picture in your post showed a NAKED bike. Most of the pics I've seen have shown at least Bags on it, and some have even shown it with the TOP BOX ( not Tour Pak, get with the correct ADV lingo ). If it's going to be a Tourer also I want to see the bike priced like my Ultra Classic with ALL the accessories on it, not stripped down like a BMW GS. When you equip a BMW GS with all the things you need to travel, you add at least 5K to the BASE PRICE. I hope HD doesn't do that.

'05Train (12-04-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 07:15 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,920 Likes on 12,133 Posts

Compare the two bikes side by side and I'll tell you what jumps out at me - I would NOT want to clean that Panamerica off after a long day riding in wet red clay (as found on all the dirt roads in NW Arkansas). That radiator is going to catch a lot of debris and maybe damage. The voltage regulator will disappear under a coating of mud on all but the cleanest blacktop as well. And a drop is going to be spendy with that Panamerica. At least it looks that way. I don't think that cage will protect the tank, which looks like a one piece metal tank vs the plastic BMW one surrounded by more (replaceable) plastic.

MiniWolf (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

I think that's Rocky's bike parked in his backyard... 👍

Old 12-01-2020, 08:00 AM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer
Received 427 Likes on 193 Posts

Dayum, that is a sharp looking bike in black.

Last edited by Sol-Invictus; 12-01-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Dan D. (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Compare the two bikes side by side and I'll tell you what jumps out at me - I would NOT want to clean that Panamerica off after a long day riding in wet red clay (as found on all the dirt roads in NW Arkansas). That radiator is going to catch a lot of debris and maybe damage. The voltage regulator will disappear under a coating of mud on all but the cleanest blacktop as well. And a drop is going to be spendy with that Panamerica. At least it looks that way. I don't think that cage will protect the tank, which looks like a one piece metal tank vs the plastic BMW one surrounded by more (replaceable) plastic.

It looks like the "crashbars" are there to protect the radiator ONLY. What is that section that is welded to the bar that points forward? To protect the grips and mirrors, and body, they should be pointing out to the side, away from the bike, not forward. If not to protect the radiator, I can't imagine why they are there.
Ugly? YES, but that whole "blacked out" look does that too. I would be hard pressed to come up with anything uglier, for sure. It seems like lately HD had given us a choice of Black, Black Denim, and BLACK-ER! So at least you have 3 choices. LOL!! Maybe THAT has had a negative effect on sales too. What happened to COLOR and CHROME for your choices?

Old 12-01-2020, 08:15 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Sol-Invictus
Dayum, that is a sharp looking bike. So much better than the ugly harley orange and silver. Orange is just such a gay color. I often wonder how many more bikes they would sell if they went to a hetero color scheme for their logo.
Lol...

I hate orange too, but actually own an orange bike. Performance trumps color, and once you drink the orange Kool-Aid, it's hard to resist (not talking about Harley orange btw).

The following 2 users liked this post by Dan D.:
s-glide76 (12-04-2020), Sol-Invictus (12-01-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:33 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 632 Likes on 288 Posts

Last I heard this ADV is mainly going to be sold in Europe. They built it for Europeans.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form