General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 08:25 AM
Hecklerboy
Road Warrior
Received 893 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
I’m excited to see the PanAm and possible demo one.
I follow these threads because I’m intrigued by ADV bikes and their possibilities. However at this point in my life I don’t see one in my near future because my wife loves to ride with me, which is not a bad thing, and these style bike don’t seem to be good for two up. So for now I have to live vicariously through yours and Rockys posts and random videos of others headed down forest roads to awe inspiring vistas.
Don't let that turn you off.
Couples ride two up all the time on adventure bike.

The following 4 users liked this post by Hecklerboy:
CanadianRocky (10-29-2020), ChrisHo (10-29-2020), FatboysFatboy96 (10-29-2020), Marsikus (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 08:42 AM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Adventure bikes are even better than cruiser for two-up. They have capable suspension, enough spacious seats, better legs position.
Only one issue, that it may be hard to climb high into passenger place over panniers and top case.

The following 3 users liked this post by Marsikus:
'05Train (10-29-2020), FatboysFatboy96 (10-29-2020), Geoff (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 10:25 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

I follow these threads because I’m intrigued by ADV bikes and their possibilities. However at this point in my life I don’t see one in my near future because my wife loves to ride with me, which is not a bad thing, and these style bike don’t seem to be good for two up. So for now I have to live vicariously through yours and Rockys posts and random videos of others headed down forest roads to awe inspiring vistas.
If she can't ride with you:

Old 10-29-2020, 10:35 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Out of all the bikes I've owned, my wife loved being on the back of the GS/Adventure the most....And she's 5'2".

Given the choice, I'd take an ADV bike over any cruiser/bagger on a cross-country trip.

Old 10-29-2020, 10:43 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,687 Likes on 9,539 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
that’s a good video… The one thing I like about my Decker is the back rest… It makes it more comfortable for me to ride having that support… I’m hoping that the PanAm has one… We’ll see

Old 10-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Marsikus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4,899 Likes on 2,129 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
that’s a good video… The one thing I like about my Decker is the back rest… It makes it more comfortable for me to ride having that support… I’m hoping that the PanAm has one… We’ll see
Unlike cruisers, adventure bikes have forward slope of seat, so passenger does not tend to roll down from the bike Also, topcase usually serves as a backrest.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:31 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,687 Likes on 9,539 Posts

Originally Posted by Marsikus
Unlike cruisers, adventure bikes have forward slope of seat, so passenger does not tend to roll down from the bike Also, topcase usually serves as a backrest.
I dont carry passengers... as a matter of fact, the seat on my 2017 Electragide, now 40,000 miles, has NEVER had an *** on it... it is space I use for my camping gear... but... I use the backrest on it every-time I ride it... If one is not available for the PanAm, it wont be a deal breaker for me... I will just do what I did before... not have one for short hops, and put enough gear on the seat so I have one for that.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:42 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

My take on it is, if you were riding from NY to California, you and your passenger would probably be more comfortable on an Ultra or Gold Wing. But very few people ride these distances on the touring bikes they purchase. Very few people I would wager even travel any appreciable distance on them to begin with. ADV bikes are not inherently uncomfortable and you can easily put in six or eight hour days without issue. They are just not AS comfortable. The surprising thing most people probably discover out about ADV bikes is the weather protection they offer. It doesn't look like it but they offer quite a bit of protection from rain and wind--I am pretty covered from the front on my VStrom and rain is no issue. And the ADV bike offers a more organic and 'pure' experience -- you are not being shrouded by plastic, fairings, and all that stuff. You feel like the bike is an extension of you rather than you sitting on a huge machine.

Riding solo most of the time I would take an ADV over a full dress bagger any day if I had to pick between the two. And they are just more fun to ride, more nimble, more sporty, better suspension etc...There is a reason this segment is exploding. People are figuring out you don't need huge *** touring bikes with mega fairings to travel cross country and you can go off the beaten path. In fact when I purchased the ST a few weeks ago, a guy was trading in his 2018 Gold Wing for one of the new Africa Twins. We were talking about it and his new bike and his reasons were exactly what I just stated--he basically grew bored with the big SUV bikes and a ride on his friends GS sealed it. Those who dont really think much of these bikes need to test ride one before ruling the segment in or out. You will probably be surprised. A lot of people just think--those bikes look dorky..then they ride one..then next thing they are wondering which one to buy...

Last edited by MiniWolf; 10-29-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2020, 11:47 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

😁

Old 10-29-2020, 11:51 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 890 Posts

The Pan America will probably prove to be HD's biggest mistake. They'll get customers to try adventure bikes, and they'll soon realize that they love them... And never buy another Harley again. 🤣

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (10-29-2020)

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form