General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 01:43 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

The engine might also be a springboard into other things. This is just the first offering I think. They were/are going to include a variant in the Bronx as well I believe.

Old 10-23-2020, 02:06 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

I would like to see them make a tall sport touring bike like my FJ09 (yeah beating that drum that again ) from that platform. It would be very easy to "streetify" it. But I really think it's a useful market segment that didn't truly exist before. It has the ergos of an Adventure bike but less weight. It really makes for a nimble, fun road bike that is just easy to hop on and go do whatever you want.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
'05Train (10-23-2020), Jed Clampett (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 02:14 PM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
I would like to see them make a tall sport touring bike like my FJ09 (yeah beating that drum that again ) from that platform. It would be very easy to "streetify" it. But I really think it's a useful market segment that didn't truly exist before. It has the ergos of an Adventure bike but less weight. It really makes for a nimble, fun road bike that is just easy to hop on and go do whatever you want.
As soon as I saw that there would be different iterations on the platform, my first thought was about a version similar to the R1200RT or Trophy. Interesting times, for sure! I hope they don't screw the pooch on it.

The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 02:33 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

I think it will really come down to pricing. If it's priced too high it will fail right out of the gate.

Then, of course, it actually needs to perform.

^^^^T H I S ^^^^

(and you don't need to be a swami to know how it will be priced)

nevada72 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 03:45 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ve9aa
^^^^T H I S ^^^^

(and you don't need to be a swami to know how it will be priced)
They should really get back to the old days when they put a new product out at a cheap price to get people interested. I remember when Acura first came out I bought one for a very reasonable price. Then as popularity increased they started bumping the price up. So much so that I sold my car back to the dealer for more than they paid for it.

This right here is the bullseye they need to hit -

They really only need to compete with BMW and ignore the other brands like Yamaha or Triumph. But if they are one dollar over that base GS price (for a base Pan America), they will have a very hard time selling the bike. It will be a novelty that sells a few to the Harley curious and that's about it. Then a few more will sell when the fire sale happens after production shuts down.

Considering that BMW is a premium brand, this should be a reachable goal. If they planned it any other way it will simply go down as another failed idea that had merit, but lacked planning and execution.

Old 10-23-2020, 04:38 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Shafer and white rim?
Kane Creek and Behind the Rocks. I was 8 months out after the wreck and still a little squirrely. I'd only had the bike for 2 weeks prior to the trip, so I wasn't trying to be Captain Insano. Dumped the pig a couple of times, but it wasn't terrible.

I'd love to go back and rent a smaller bike (like a 250) and go nuts on those 5/5 trails.

They should really get back to the old days when they put a new product out at a cheap price to get people interested. I remember when Acura first came out I bought one for a very reasonable price. Then as popularity increased they started bumping the price up. So much so that I sold my car back to the dealer for more than they paid for it.

This right here is the bullseye they need to hit -

They really only need to compete with BMW and ignore the other brands like Yamaha or Triumph. But if they are one dollar over that base GS price (for a base Pan America), they will have a very hard time selling the bike. It will be a novelty that sells a few to the Harley curious and that's about it. Then a few more will sell when the fire sale happens after production shuts down.

Considering that BMW is a premium brand, this should be a reachable goal. If they planned it any other way it will simply go down as another failed idea that had merit, but lacked planning and execution.
Looking at the PA it appears more targeted to the GS Adventure (the engine guard, bash plate, etc). That starts at $20,345. Depending on the Harley's options (the electronics suite, adjustable suspension, etc), it needs to be neck-and-neck with the Adventure. A loaded GS/A with bags is over $26,000. If a loaded PA is right there, then it'll do okay. If it's $30k like the Livewire.....Forget it.

Last edited by '05Train; 10-23-2020 at 04:45 PM.
nevada72 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:04 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
Kane Creek and Behind the Rocks. I was 8 months out after the wreck and still a little squirrely. I'd only had the bike for 2 weeks prior to the trip, so I wasn't trying to be Captain Insano. Dumped the pig a couple of times, but it wasn't terrible.

I'd love to go back and rent a smaller bike (like a 250) and go nuts on those 5/5 trails.

Looking at the PA it appears more targeted to the GS Adventure (the engine guard, bash plate, etc). That starts at $20,345. Depending on the Harley's options (the electronics suite, adjustable suspension, etc), it needs to be neck-and-neck with the Adventure. A loaded GS/A with bags is over $26,000. If a loaded PA is right there, then it'll do okay. If it's $30k like the Livewire.....Forget it.
Agreed on apples/apples pricing. But they need to have an entry GS type model.

You did Kane Creek on a big GS? You're more man than I am. That said we got a little lost in there so I'm not 100% sure we were on the trail the whole way. We ended up riding down a a creek (Kane I assume) and then up a fairly technical boulder garden near the end.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:08 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,689 Likes on 9,539 Posts

Just popped into the HD shop in Langley... just a smidge east of Vancouver... the Manager said he might have one for the floor by Xmas... he has 3 on the waiting list... one of the names is my own.

kngpn (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:11 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I picked Kane Creek because it was rated 2/5 difficulty. Coming from Maryland where we don't have that kind of riding, I figured I'd play it safe. If that's a 2/5, I can't imagine what the 5/5 trails are like. My whole body was sore that night....And that was 8 years ago. I wouldn't try it again now.

I would hope that if the PA takes off, the lineup mimics the BMW/Triumph range. The big PA competes with the GS/A, decontent/redesign a GS competitor, and use the smaller engine from the Bronx in a smaller frame like the GS 800.

nevada72 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 05:19 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky
Just popped into the HD shop in Langley... just a smidge east of Vancouver... the Manager said he might have one for the floor by Xmas... he has 3 on the waiting list... one of the names is my own.
That's cool Rocky. I really want this to be a great bike. I can see you do too.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form