General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Pan America -final form

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 09:12 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

On a flat-sided bike like my V85TT or the Pan America (or the F800 GS etc) those bikes will fall over all the way, including tires sticking up in the air. My Guzzi was 100lbs lighter than a GS1250, but dang near impossible to pick up, whereas I could easily right a GS1250.[/QUOTE]

Dos Moto Guzzi not make engine /crashbars for that V85TT? I looked at the Guzzi webpage and that ADV V85TT looks great. It also has a great price at about $12-13K, with a shaft drive..no chain lubing with that model.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:22 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan D.
My advice to anyone interested in the beautiful beast... Don't get sucked in. Nobody wants a bike that large for "adventure" routes.

Can it be done? It sure can, but it's not ideal... Nor is it much fun.

If you're running 2k+ miles on highways, and a smattering here in dirt, have at it... Probably a great machine... But what's fun in that?

You load that bitch up with 100lbs of gear, and sit your (medical definition) obese *** on that bike, and venture down some unknown trail... You'll be a hurting ****.

Go to the dealer, find a ditch nearby, throw it in there head first, and retrieve it all by yourself... And if that makes you happy afterwards, or you find it "easy"... Good sir, you've found your bike.

There is nothing more enjoyable that "adventure" riding. You'll travel thousands of miles, and sweat your *** off. You'll scare yourself to death, you'll make unforgettable memories... But you'll also want to keep doing it over and over again.

I'm excited to see Harley in the ADV market, but it's kind of a shame to see them always two steps back. Nobody wants a 1200+ cc adv bike anymore... Unless it's to park at starbucks.
On a forum full of self-important chest-thumping bullshit, this post is king of little dick mountain.

If there was a word of truth in this, BMW, KTM, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and Triumph would have gotten out of the big ADV market years ago.

I took a GS Adventure 2-up across the country on both paved and unpaved roads and trails. Couldn't have done that on a DRZ....At least not comfortably. These big bikes are cumbersome in the gronky stuff when you're hell and gone from civilization, but they do just fine. And for tall guys, they're the most comfortable distance bikes you can ride.

I'll definitely be an early adopter when the PA becomes available.

The following 2 users liked this post by '05Train:
MiniWolf (10-23-2020), rhino1250 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 09:39 AM
Senecagreen
Road Captain
Received 446 Likes on 202 Posts

The motor reminds me of when you buy a little kid one of those plastic electric motorcycles to ride around the yard and it has a plastic replica of a engine in it.

Styling is so subjective I admit but todays buyers are not brand loyal enough and want looks and performance...its their thousands of dollars HD is competing for.

That doesnt look like I gotta have it.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:56 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan D.
Alright then...

You buy this, or something in that same class, and meet me at the 4 corners national park next year. We'll do the COBDR together. We might even choose Black Bear Pass as a side route. I'll take my 790, and there will be (3) T7's, and a 1090.

You keep up, and I'll pay for your coffee for a year. 🦝
Rocky is avoiding being like you by posting self love and aggrandizing with pics and stories of his adventure exploits. Anyone that knows him knows he's done plenty of "adventure" riding. The real kind. You're far from the only one here with off road ability and experience. Not knowing either of you I would pit his skills against yours any day.

Once again, it's about the right tool. If you're going to spend 90% of the time off road, get a light enduro. 50/50, get a middleweight enduro or light adv bike. 80/20 get a big GS or whatever. Obviously these ratios can be adjusted to skillset and comfort levels. That said, there's a reason the GS is BMWs all time best selling bike. And it's not because Ewan and Charlie sold them.

The following 2 users liked this post by nevada72:
'05Train (10-23-2020), Campy Roadie (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 10:19 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
On a forum full of self-important chest-thumping bullshit, this post is king of little dick mountain.

If there was a word of truth in this, BMW, KTM, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and Triumph would have gotten out of the big ADV market years ago.

I took a GS Adventure 2-up across the country on both paved and unpaved roads and trails. Couldn't have done that on a DRZ....At least not comfortably. These big bikes are cumbersome in the gronky stuff when you're hell and gone from civilization, but they do just fine. And for tall guys, they're the most comfortable distance bikes you can ride.

I'll definitely be an early adopter when the PA becomes available.

Looks like a fun time. Am jealous. Thats a dream trip for me and plan on it one of these days.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:30 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Looks like a fun time. Am jealous. Thats a dream trip for me and plan on it one of these days.
In my head I'd wanted to take Rt. 50 all the way out, then Rt. 66 most of the way back. After a pair of 1,300-mile days I realized that wasn't realistic. I'd love to have the time and funds to do it properly, as there's just so much cool stuff to see.

As much as I love my Road Glide, if I was doing another 11,000 mile trip I'd want to do it on an ADV bike.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:48 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

In my head I'd wanted to take Rt. 50 all the way out, then Rt. 66 most of the way back. After a pair of 1,300-mile days I realized that wasn't realistic. I'd love to have the time and funds to do it properly, as there's just so much cool stuff to see.

As much as I love my Road Glide, if I was doing another 11,000 mile trip I'd want to do it on an ADV bike.

Heck, I'm even starting to feel that way about my Ulysses! Almost sold the Road King because of it.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:53 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by perki48
Heck, I'm even starting to feel that way about my Ulysses! Almost sold the Road King because of it.
That's a bike I deeply regret not getting. When Buell went under the local dealer was all but giving them away. I could have picked up a Uly for around $4k, and didn't. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (10-23-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 11:11 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 21,691 Likes on 9,541 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada72
Rocky is avoiding being like you by posting self love and aggrandizing with pics and stories of his adventure exploits. Anyone that knows him knows he's done plenty of "adventure" riding. The real kind. You're far from the only one here with off road ability and experience. Not knowing either of you I would pit his skills against yours any day.

Once again, it's about the right tool. If you're going to spend 90% of the time off road, get a light enduro. 50/50, get a middleweight enduro or light adv bike. 80/20 get a big GS or whatever. Obviously these ratios can be adjusted to skillset and comfort levels. That said, there's a reason the GS is BMWs all time best selling bike. And it's not because Ewan and Charlie sold them.
For God sake’s Bob, don’t bet the farm…

That's a bike I deeply regret not getting. When Buell went under the local dealer was all but giving them away. I could have picked up a Uly for around $4k, and didn't. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
yup... Pick the wrong line and gravity doesn’t like them either...

Course it doesn’t show up in either of those pictures how damn steep those roads were, and how loose that gravel and rocks were… Which doesn’t excuse the poor lines I chose

The following 4 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
'05Train (10-23-2020), perki48 (10-23-2020), robarosa (10-23-2020), Walter White (10-30-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 11:18 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,028 Posts

I fell in love with them and considered one back in 06' but didn't get it. Finally got one last April and really regret losing the 14 years of fun I could have had. I love the thing. Harleys are enjoyable to ride but the Ulysses is just plain FUN!

And I am sure the Pan Am will be the same.

The following users liked this post:
'05Train (10-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Pan America -final form