Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 04:33 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts
Default How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?

In a couple months I'm gonna be able to pick up a new bike but I only have a finite amount of cash to drop into it, so I want to make the best of it.
Someone told me a while back that before I make any definitive agreements at any dealership that I should shop around and call around between the dealers in my area, and get them to compete against one another to get a lower price on the bike.

I'm curious as to what that means. I live in in Seattle area and I got 3 dealerships literally within reach, and a few more HD dealerships a bit off farther. Traveling 50 miles out to get a better deal is not an issue for me.
How would you guys suggest shopping around so that I can get a really good OTD price on the bike? My intent is to pay in cash(or whatever constitutes a paid in full at time of signing).
I'm pretty much 90% intent on getting the FLFBS, but the Lowrider and Sport Glide are still on my radar. I'm pretty intent on getting a brand new bike, and not interested much in used unless it's a stellar deal.
Any buying advice you guys got I'm all ears.

And if you guys have any resources or places that you can find parts and stuff for bikes or riding gear that is discounted, regularly onsale, or their online order system skips out on the cross state sales tax, I'd appreciate any input on that.

Top Answer

09-29-2020, 06:27 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,660 Likes on 7,537 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Yep. They would rather finance you. The dealer makes big bucks on financing.
Finance it, pay for a couple of months, then payoff the loan with cash. There is no penalty for paying off the loan early. You do not have to tell them this and you might get a lower price if they think money is to be made with the financing.

Old 09-29-2020, 04:50 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 6,271 Likes on 3,164 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
In a couple months I'm gonna be able to pick up a new bike but I only have a finite amount of cash to drop into it, so I want to make the best of it.
Someone told me a while back that before I make any definitive agreements at any dealership that I should shop around and call around between the dealers in my area, and get them to compete against one another to get a lower price on the bike.

I'm curious as to what that means. I live in in Seattle area and I got 3 dealerships literally within reach, and a few more HD dealerships a bit off farther. Traveling 50 miles out to get a better deal is not an issue for me.
How would you guys suggest shopping around so that I can get a really good OTD price on the bike? My intent is to pay in cash(or whatever constitutes a paid in full at time of signing).
I'm pretty much 90% intent on getting the FLFBS, but the Lowrider and Sport Glide are still on my radar. I'm pretty intent on getting a brand new bike, and not interested much in used unless it's a stellar deal.
Any buying advice you guys got I'm all ears.

And if you guys have any resources or places that you can find parts and stuff for bikes or riding gear that is discounted, regularly onsale, or their online order system skips out on the cross state sales tax, I'd appreciate any input on that.
Mostly they’re not going to deal that much. They also deal with each other. If one doesn’t have the bike you want they call around to check inventory at other dealers.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:06 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

IMO, it's not worth the time and stress of trying to shop around for the "best" deal. People will tell you about how they were able to buy a bike below cost, because they are such good negotiators that the dealership decided to lose money on them!!! Yeah, right ....

Determine what you can afford and what bike you want. Look at their websites to see who has that bike. Make a firm but fair offer and don't budge. If they accept it, great. If not, you have to keep shopping online, or save up a few more dollars so you can pay what they need. All that back and forth is a game. If you like playing, have at it. I don't.

The following 2 users liked this post by Scout:
Hdbkstl (02-09-2021), Ivabign (02-03-2021)
Old 09-29-2020, 05:07 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,293 Posts

This is what I did when I bought my '20 Heritage Classic 114.

Go here to get an idea of dealer costs versus the MSRP. Decide what you think you're wiling to pay for the bike. Be reasonable or they're not going to deal with you. Factor in taxes, registration and any other fees you will be paying. Then, calculate your OTD price.

Contact several dealers through their website. They will either contact you through email or they will call you. That's when you can start negotiating the OTD price. I really doubt you're going to get the dealers to "compete" for your business.

One of the dealers I talked to would not budge from their prices, so I moved onto the other dealers until I got the price I was wiling to pay. Once I got a deal I was happy with, I went to the dealer, completed the paperwork and took the bike home.

Believe it or not, paying cash is not going to get you a better deal. They would rather you finance through H-D.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Ivabign (02-03-2021)
Old 09-29-2020, 05:27 AM
eighteight
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,943 Likes on 2,846 Posts

[QUOTE=FranBunnyFFXII;19432118]

And if you guys have any resources or places that you can find parts and stuff for bikes or riding gear that is discounted, regularly onsale, or their online order system skips out on the cross state sales tax,

Also investigate if any dealer includes or discounts the price of the first service visit.
Some here offer a 20% discount on any accessories / parts/ gear purchased in the 6 months following purchase.
Take the whole deal into account
YMMV

Old 09-29-2020, 05:37 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 2,898 Posts

All good advice above. Bikes are flying off the showroom floor.
if it was me I would buy sooner rather than later As I think prices are going to go up. We are already seeing it with used bikes

Old 09-29-2020, 05:52 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,757 Posts

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
if it was me I would buy sooner rather than later As I think prices are going to go up. We are already seeing it with used bikes
Plenty of bikes to be had at the 4 dealers within 30 miles of where I live. Craigslist is loaded with bikes in this area too. Prices are not going up.... Not here...

The following 2 users liked this post by jamala00:
HiDrag (02-09-2021), Iron lHorse (02-09-2021)
Old 09-29-2020, 05:58 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,900 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy

Believe it or not, paying cash is not going to get you a better deal.
Yeah this i know, but financing ends up in a higher cost over time, and it lands me with the burden of actually paying a monthly cost I do not want to under take. I'll be buying outright for that reason.
Overall cost, and no monthly. I have to spend the money I'm getting, I cant hold onto it as much as I'd like to.
The big caveat is that I'm not going to tell them I'm going to pay in cash/cashiers check until whatever papers are on the table the price is finalized and the method of payment comes up. At least that's what the car guys told me about car dealerships, is never reveal your cash purchase intent until the price is agreed upon.
I know the whole cash gets you a better deal era ended decades ago at this point.
All the people I've talked or listened to so far in terms of dealerships have all been car people, but I realized that a power-sports/Harley dealership is a notable difference from a Car lot.

Originally Posted by TracerBullet
I have to wait till the new model year comes out first, since I dont know if they're gonna release a color I want or an upgrade to the stock bike that's beneficial or not.

And Fortunately for me, Seattle is not a harley hotspot. Lots of sportbikes and ADV riders around here, cruisers are less popular. So the Dealerships I've asked about bikes thus far have been... let say a bit over enthusiastic.

The big issue for waiting right now though is that I'm a disabled vet and just won my fight with the government to actually get them to pay out what was owed to me, but since its a large amount, they wont release it all at once UNLESS, I make a case with them about why I need a large sum of money.
So I have to take the time to look things up and give them an itemized list for a vehicle purchase.
So that takes time too. Government is moving slow. So I have to submit a list and then sit on my *** and twiddle my thumbs while they take their time to release the funds.

Last edited by FranBunnyFFXII; 09-29-2020 at 06:55 AM. Reason: my grammar sucks.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:22 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,660 Likes on 7,537 Posts

You also should know that the same owner may own several dealerships in the area so they would be competing against themselves.

The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 06:23 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

Yep. They would rather finance you. The dealer makes big bucks on financing.

Quick Reply: How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?