Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 07:54 AM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,542 Likes on 7,746 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
OP, I think you would have less depression and stress if you had a better outlook on life. I think the education system in Seattle failed you. You were obviously taught a revisionist history, according to the below quote.

Thank you for your service. Try to open your mind to Conservatives and find a spiritual life, it will help you with your mental , and physical issues.

“FranBunnyFFXII , 09-06-2019 09:14 AM
Road Captain
I think a lot of people dont really remember that the reason we had such a good economy in the 50s~60s, and the 90s to 2000s is because we we're bombing or had already bombed out the biggest competition to our global economy, and in the 90's the Japanese economy went bad and tons of Japanese interests went bankrupt.
Other countries had no choice but to import American goods.
But then the 70s came around, and in current time, american goods are being tarrif competed out by doofus in charge, and we're gonna head for a crash, and reganomics completely ****ed over 2 generations of people, and let the medical and banking industries run rampant.
The only thing dumbshit in chief is currently doing that will help harley davidson at this time is offering to open up trade to the UK after brexit. A lot of Brits love harleys, and Boris will likely negotiate out tarrif import costs for Motorcycles and vehicals to export to the UK more easily.

But nothing's gonna fix that disparity of wealth issue, or the lack of increasing wages vs inflation without major political overhaul, and current Dipshit in chief certainly isn't interested in it.
If harley wants to sell more motorcycles, the average person needs to be able to afford one. Not just the lucky handful, or the people who decide that a motorcycle is better suited for them than a car.”
Please take the politics to the POD.

Old 09-30-2020, 09:20 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 496 Likes on 258 Posts

a friend's method is to email the sales manager at each dealership.
Tell the manager what you want, and ask for their best price.
Frankly most won't reply, because you aren't the only shopper today.

When you are ready to purchase the bike, go to the various dealership websites, read the prices AND set-up, freight, DMV fees, taxes etc...and figure out YOUR price.
I would deduct all of the add-ons, and ask for a "free 1k service"

Maybe deduct another grand. It's easier to come UP, then it is to go down, once you start talking.
Don't be afraid to just walk away if they won't budge.

Ask LOCAL people for information regarding best dealers, in your area, and of course shop middle to end of the month. Most salesmen are on so "commission/sales" program, and need to have "numbers" for the month/quarter/year.

Around here ....the best deals are on last year;s models, once the "new" bikes hit the floor.... but it's what's left in inventory

Old 09-30-2020, 10:17 AM
1999 flstf
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

this is why when people ask what i do i say im retired. or i say i make money online. tell them i'm disabled they say you don't look disabled, well you didn't look like an *** hole when you walked up but here we are .

The following 2 users liked this post by 1999 flstf:
luckiestiff (09-30-2020), on3wego (10-03-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:20 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
In a couple months I'm gonna be able to pick up a new bike but I only have a finite amount of cash to drop into it, so I want to make the best of it.
Someone told me a while back that before I make any definitive agreements at any dealership that I should shop around and call around between the dealers in my area, and get them to compete against one another to get a lower price on the bike.

I'm curious as to what that means. I live in in Seattle area and I got 3 dealerships literally within reach, and a few more HD dealerships a bit off farther. Traveling 50 miles out to get a better deal is not an issue for me.
How would you guys suggest shopping around so that I can get a really good OTD price on the bike? My intent is to pay in cash(or whatever constitutes a paid in full at time of signing).
I'm pretty much 90% intent on getting the FLFBS, but the Lowrider and Sport Glide are still on my radar. I'm pretty intent on getting a brand new bike, and not interested much in used unless it's a stellar deal.
Any buying advice you guys got I'm all ears.

And if you guys have any resources or places that you can find parts and stuff for bikes or riding gear that is discounted, regularly onsale, or their online order system skips out on the cross state sales tax, I'd appreciate any input on that.
I hate doing business that way. Feels sleazy to me. What I do is give them all a fair shot at earning my business. I make it clear to them that I WILL be buying a bike from one of them, and I ask for their best price on the exact same bike. I tell them up front that I'm talking to 3 dealerships and that the best price wins. Period. Has worked great for me in the past.

The following users liked this post:
Bandit. (02-09-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 05:10 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Opps wrong post

Old 02-08-2021, 07:42 PM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 412 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Tell the VA you’re buying a minivan, get the cash, and go shopping for a bike.
What do you think they are going to give you a check with no collateral or lean just your word.
GET REAL

Old 02-08-2021, 08:38 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,663 Likes on 11,545 Posts

[QUOTE=NORTY FLATZ;19433040]OP~
For buying a bike, check this site for dealer cost...www.seedealercost.com

Those prices are not exact, as they don't involve "dealer hold back" but they should put you "in-the-ballpark."

Next thing to do: Contact all the dealerships you are willing to travel to, via email. (They ALL have internet sales divisions.)
Put out your "request for OTD quote" to each dealer. Let them see all the other dealerships they'll be bidding against, to win your business. "CC" everybody, so to speak.
Spec your bike and let them bid for your business. Close the bidding process in 72 hours. Award the winning bid, via email. Make arrangements to pick-up or have your new bike delivered to your base.

Do this bid process, just like the military does. Good luck![/QUOTE]

Sorry buddy, but is this why the military has $800 toilet seats?

Old 02-08-2021, 08:52 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

OP, if you need an itemized list, tell them you're buying a motorcycle valued at $XXXXX.XX (MSRP) unless they need to check a VIN. Sales people, and I would think you, don't want to waste their time giving and getting price quotes. You can get the price of the bike and any optional items you want added on the Harley website.

Originally Posted by leftyjm
What do you think they are going to give you a check with no collateral or lean just your word.
GET REAL
I guess you didn't read the first post. He said he was paying cash for it when he gets his VA settlement.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:43 AM
1999 flstf
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 283 Posts

i knew this old guy that would go in to buy a new truck. strike up a great deal letting them think he was financing it. when the deal was done he would break out his check book to pay . he said every dealer would try to back out of the deal but if he stood his ground one of them would fold. he said you get a better price financing than walking in saying your paying cash right off the bat.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:18 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior

Received 412 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999 flstf
i knew this old guy that would go in to buy a new truck. strike up a great deal letting them think he was financing it. when the deal was done he would break out his check book to pay . he said every dealer would try to back out of the deal but if he stood his ground one of them would fold. he said you get a better price financing than walking in saying your paying cash right off the bat.

You’re right......Sorry

Quick Reply: How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?