Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 10:02 AM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Job

Originally Posted by jcsjr321
First of all Thank you for your service. What is the nature of your disability that you can ride a bike but not work? You may say its none of my business but your disability comes from the taxes all of us that are working pay in. So some of that money you are spending is mine and I would like to know why I am buying you a motorcycle. In my area this disability thing is out of hand. A friend of mine is on disability from the VA he is 66 years old was a farmer most of his life and did very well for himself. He didn't pay in to social security so when he was ready to retire he went for disability. He drives a $70000 diesel pickup, has a new mustang, has a 66 mustang that is being restored and just bought a model a. He has 300 acres of grapes that he leases out and doesn't pay property tax because he is a disabled vet. He is not disabled. He worked hard his whole life. Now he is receiving $3600 per month in (reparations) because he spent 2 years washing airplanes in Vietnam. I don't mind taking care of the vets that need help but there are too many like my friend. How about the guy living under the bridge that is to proud to ask for help? Lets rent him an apartment instead of buying toys for people that are probably capable of taking care of themselves. I'm sorry but this disability stuff is pissing me off. If your capable of riding a motorcycle you are capable of working some kind of job to pay for it.
Theres alot of difference from working a full time job and occasionally riding a motorcycle. I ride with several disabled vets there will be days were they cant ride because of thier disabilities . Alot of these guys went through hell and if they want a motorcycle let them get one. I take it your not a veteran ....

The following 3 users liked this post by razorbacksrule:
FranBunnyFFXII (09-29-2020), luckiestiff (09-29-2020), Uncle Larry (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:39 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,757 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsjr321
First of all Thank you for your service. What is the nature of your disability that you can ride a bike but not work? You may say its none of my business but your disability comes from the taxes all of us that are working pay in. So some of that money you are spending is mine and I would like to know why I am buying you a motorcycle. In my area this disability thing is out of hand. A friend of mine is on disability from the VA he is 66 years old was a farmer most of his life and did very well for himself. He didn't pay in to social security so when he was ready to retire he went for disability. He drives a $70000 diesel pickup, has a new mustang, has a 66 mustang that is being restored and just bought a model a. He has 300 acres of grapes that he leases out and doesn't pay property tax because he is a disabled vet. He is not disabled. He worked hard his whole life. Now he is receiving $3600 per month in (reparations) because he spent 2 years washing airplanes in Vietnam. I don't mind taking care of the vets that need help but there are too many like my friend. How about the guy living under the bridge that is to proud to ask for help? Lets rent him an apartment instead of buying toys for people that are probably capable of taking care of themselves. I'm sorry but this disability stuff is pissing me off. If your capable of riding a motorcycle you are capable of working some kind of job to pay for it.
This post is about as useful as an NFL player taking a knee for a cause. If you are concerned and want to make a difference, why don't you actually do something that makes a difference? Trying in a very poor way to call someone out on an internet forum isn't making a bit of difference. It's just a bunch of chest pounding. Based off your own post it sounds like you could start off by changing who your friends are.

The following 2 users liked this post by jamala00:
luckiestiff (09-29-2020), Uncle Larry (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:54 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,673 Likes on 1,663 Posts

An honest question: You say the government wants some sort of itemized list or price quote or something like that, right?

Is there any followup on that? Meaning, you tell them you're going to buy something specific, and include a specific price from the dealer, and the money gets released. And then what? Do you at some point have to go back to the government and certify that you actually spent the money on the thing you said you were going to buy?

I know nothing about this process, but the way this has been described sounds strange to me. If you've been awarded a settlement based on damages/injury/disability, it seems like that should stand alone. I don't get the idea that you need to justify the money based on what you expect to spend it on.

Maybe I'm reading you all wrong, but my "spider sense" tells me something doesn't seem right.

I'd encourage you to contact someone (at the VA maybe?) and make sure you've got all the details sorted out. Part of me wonders if you might inadvertently find yourself behind a really big eight-ball on this.

The following users liked this post:
uncle kebo (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 11:04 AM
theheder
Road Master
Received 934 Likes on 308 Posts

Go to the dealer and pick the bike you want. Make a serious offer and see what concessions they offer.

Regardless of where your cash comes from the reality is that you live in the USA - a capitalist country. If the dealer doesn't make a reasonable profit off of you, there is another buyer standing around that will take that deal in an instant if it is the bike that they want.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:06 AM
jcsjr321
Intermediate
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
This post is about as useful as an NFL player taking a knee for a cause. If you are concerned and want to make a difference, why don't you actually do something that makes a difference? Trying in a very poor way to call someone out on an internet forum isn't making a bit of difference. It's just a bunch of chest pounding. Based off your own post it sounds like you could start off by changing who your friends are.
So you calling me out is different how? I'm going to go try and make a difference. I'm going to pack my lunch and go to work so I can help this guy get the motorcycle he so desperately needs.

The following 2 users liked this post by jcsjr321:
Bricklayer (02-08-2021), theheder (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Yep. They would rather finance you. The dealer makes big bucks on financing.
I was told by a reliable source that you can finance thru HD, but pay off before six months. The dealer won't get a kick-back from finance companies. Haven't verified tho.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:22 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,874 Likes on 2,415 Posts

Not passing judgement but this is possibly the most confusing thread in the 10 years Ive been here... I dont understand the shopping reasoning (the intent of the thread) and I dont understand the government buying a Harley aspect.

Maybe im just not getting it and thats ok too...

The following 5 users liked this post by uncle kebo:
Bobjv (10-01-2020), Greg Midi (09-29-2020), Jackie Paper (09-29-2020), jamala00 (09-29-2020), Uncle Larry (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 11:24 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,694 Likes on 3,086 Posts

OP~
For buying a bike, check this site for dealer cost...www.seedealercost.com

Those prices are not exact, as they don't involve "dealer hold back" but they should put you "in-the-ballpark."

Next thing to do: Contact all the dealerships you are willing to travel to, via email. (They ALL have internet sales divisions.)
Put out your "request for OTD quote" to each dealer. Let them see all the other dealerships they'll be bidding against, to win your business. "CC" everybody, so to speak.
Spec your bike and let them bid for your business. Close the bidding process in 72 hours. Award the winning bid, via email. Make arrangements to pick-up or have your new bike delivered to your base.

Do this bid process, just like the military does. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2020, 11:25 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,316 Likes on 5,478 Posts

Go to the dealer. Do not walk in expecting to get it below cost a six pack and a hook with the deal. Under current conditions MSRP maybe the start it maybe the price. What can be worked on is some perks with the deal. Big discount on extended warranty, maybe helmet tossed in.
Discount on any changes you wish to make . Maybe even just tossed in. Dealers for the most part do not take phone call price shoppers serious.
When you go in know what you can afford, Know financing option if you need to. Set a price you will not go over and do not fall for the payment number. Look at price you pay out the door.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:30 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,726 Likes on 19,288 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
Not passing judgement but this is possibly the most confusing thread in the 10 years Ive been here... I dont understand the shopping reasoning (the intent of the thread) and I dont understand the government buying a Harley aspect.

Maybe im just not getting it and thats ok too...
Maybe this will help ??

The following users liked this post:
Ivabign (02-03-2021)

Quick Reply: How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?