General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 06:27 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,868 Likes on 7,592 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
Yep. They would rather finance you. The dealer makes big bucks on financing.
Finance it, pay for a couple of months, then payoff the loan with cash. There is no penalty for paying off the loan early. You do not have to tell them this and you might get a lower price if they think money is to be made with the financing.

The following 11 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
BelchFire (09-29-2020), BinIdaho (09-29-2020), elPrez (09-29-2020), Greg Midi (09-29-2020), guido4198 (02-10-2021), HiDrag (02-09-2021), Jehu (02-13-2021), jmeyer58 (09-29-2020), MikeBel (09-30-2020), Redbeard (02-11-2021), theheder (09-29-2020) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-29-2020, 06:28 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,905 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Originally Posted by coolbreeze3646
Finance it, pay for a couple of months, then payoff the loan with cash. There is no penalty for paying off the loan early. You do not have to tell them this and you might get a lower price if they think money is to be made with the financing.
You know what, that's a pretty good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
Ivabign (02-03-2021)
Old 09-29-2020, 06:32 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Tell the VA you’re buying a minivan, get the cash, and go shopping for a bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ron750:
Daniel58 (09-29-2020), Uncle Larry (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 06:33 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by FranBunnyFFXII
So the Dealerships I've asked about bikes thus far have been... let say a bit over enthusiastic.
Of course they are! They want to make a sale!
As far as your other questions, you can read through the forum for days on the exact same subjects. Remember to check out the forum classifieds for gear.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:35 AM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

i read your story thank you for your service but regarding buying a bike ...did you ever buy a refrigerator or stove or car its not that different do your homework and pick out exactly what you want [please take a test ride since you have a disability ] let the local stores know what and when you want and they will compete for your business . your not walking into Mars same rules of supply and demand apply at a HD store.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:39 AM
JW0787
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would also consider which dealer has the best service in the area. If one is known to be less than stellar in providing service to their customers maybe look a little harder at the other options.

BelchFire (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:13 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,884 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Few things and sorry if this comes across harsh

* Why are you shopping a deal today for a few months out? You're wasting everyones time.
* The deal you shop today, come next week, tomorrow, an hour from now - its useless. Leave the dealer and dont return in a reasonable time, the deal is not worth the breath you wasted
* Shopping a deal and dropping name - do you think dealers dont talk? 3 months from now theyre gonna remember and you get the 'you wasted my time price'

Right now a token under MSRP is the norm as there is no supply.
You may not get what you want because there is limited supply.

I dont know but the gut Im getting is you want a 25k bike for 20k...

My .02 - go shop when your ready to buy and say 'I have x-amt to spend on a bike out the door' If they do it great if not, enjoy your Saturday going dealer to dealer.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:27 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by uncle kebo
* Why are you shopping a deal today for a few months out? You're wasting everyones time.
So I didn't put this in the first post but I did explain this a little bit farther down to someone else.
I have to submit an itemized list to the government to get them to release funds for a vehicle purchase. So I need a realistic price to give them.
I won my disability case, but because it's a lot of money the government wont release a large sum of it unless I have a good reason, with details. That reason I'm giving them is the bike.
So I need to ask about prices at local dealerships to see what they're gunning for, and put it in the list for submission.

I dont know but the gut Im getting is you want a 25k bike for 20k...
No. I currently have sitting in my note pad MSRP of Barracuda silver+local taxes which sits at $23500
I'm fine paying MSRP+tax, but if I can get it at a few bucks off then so much the better. This is a "It would be nice" thing.
Government just needs to know the price-tag. That's all.
They could release me my money a week from now for I known.
I'm just looking for info, not really intent on wasting anyone's time.

uncle kebo (09-29-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:42 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,985 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Moco has about about killed the dickering deal at the dealership level, they have cut production and are closing a large number of dealers. They are also limiting the number of bikes shipped to the remaining dealers. this had been going all summer, dealers around here have limited numbers of bike on the floor compared to the first of the year, inventories are way down. Expect MSRP for a price tag if the dealer in question hasn't jacked that up due to limited inventory which is corporates intentions in the first place. Where you'll get the " deal " is in the accessories and extra's like services you can haggle the selling dealer itno to sweeten the package for you.

The days of working it and being able to walk out and go somewhere else are gone bud, moco has had this in works for several years now.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:52 AM
FranBunnyFFXII
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Moco has about about killed the dickering deal at the dealership level, they have cut production and are closing a large number of dealers. They are also limiting the number of bikes shipped to the remaining dealers. this had been going all summer, dealers around here have limited numbers of bike on the floor compared to the first of the year, inventories are way down. Expect MSRP for a price tag if the dealer in question hasn't jacked that up due to limited inventory which is corporates intentions in the first place. Where you'll get the " deal " is in the accessories and extra's like services you can haggle the selling dealer itno to sweeten the package for you.

The days of working it and being able to walk out and go somewhere else are gone bud, moco has had this in works for several years now.
Do you think this limited inventory thing is gonna last after they new model year is released?
I know before the pandemic hit, there was a lot of people getting bikes under MSRP and dealers here in the seattle area had inventory sitting, sometimes for years.
It took them 2 years to sell the black temptest fat boy I'd go and look at every once in a while. Poor thing sat forever.

Quick Reply: How do I get the dealers to "Compete" on the price of a bike?