General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid things HD does...............

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stupid things HD does...............

ORIGINAL: jbnl163

ORIGINAL: capt775

If your gonna own one and work on it, you gotta have the motorcycle jack. I agree about the oil filter. There's bound to be a better place.
I heard that. Ruined the carpet in my garage.

have the same problem with the green **** carpet in my living room. have to keep moving my old lazy boy, with the stuffing hanging out, to cover the oil stains on the **** after changing the oil. what we need is better carpet in these trailer houses, to save the wife the workof scrubbing the living room carpet every time the harley needs an oil change.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

How about they decide what type of bolts to use...be they phillips, hex, torx, whatever...and try to narrow it down to a couple of standard sizes. I snapped off my T27 torx bit today and do you think I can find a single 3/8" drive T27? The guy at Sears laughed at me and said "must be a Harley derby cover?" I can buy another complete set, but not the single one. He says he thinks HD is the only one using a T27!! Frustrating.

I couldn't agree more with the original poster, I can relate to every one of the things mentioned!!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:24 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

why in 06 and 08 Fatboys front fender is not offset... but in 07 it is..
why are the T/S(rear) relocation kit..for detachable bags/sissy bar.. why do they extend past the rear fender.. its fugly and 100 dollars
why did the 07 stock fatboys seat..have flaps on it that rub the back fender
why do they use shitty brake pads in their calipers that leave tons of dust and black crap all over your rotors

what else.. all them bolts n crap.. allens, torques... why cant they just use one type..

Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They do have the best kickstand in the business, though.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Thorns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A simple 1/8" pipe plug at the rear of the inner primary would be the fill and check level point.......so easy cavemen had it on their motorcycles...but, it wouldn't sell H-D gaskets. There are so many lame design points, but the really bad one is having to tear the left side of the bike apart to replace the drive belt. If it was easier to change we would be buying a new belt everyother year! Cam gears...HA! you need .001 crankshaft runout to properly install them...or you get the cam gear boogie ending up having a failure, or noise you can't stand, finally going back to chains. It would be niceif the MoCo would just grease the steering head bearings and swing arm bearingson assy., and use a little never seize on the axles. Also, the thumb screw for throttle control is so old, why won't the MoCo makeelectronic cruise control available on"all" their bikes...would sell like hot cakes! I have it on my RK, and it's the best mod yet! How about when you buy a new bike, the seat, handlebars, and pegs (or floorboards) you pick when you buy the bike,instead of buying later, and storing the stock seat, handlebars, and pegs forever in your garage. Ya know the MoCo could use some training on "how easy is it to do business with them." Everything is shoved down your throat...and you will like it! Well I do love my bike. Rant off.

Thorns

Old 07-27-2007, 11:01 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

And they could make the chrome, you know, chromier, or something.

Old 07-28-2007, 01:37 AM
spike95
Road Master

ORIGINAL: stro1965

How about they decide what type of bolts to use...be they phillips, hex, torx, whatever...and try to narrow it down to a couple of standard sizes. I snapped off my T27 torx bit today and do you think I can find a single 3/8" drive T27? The guy at Sears laughed at me and said "must be a Harley derby cover?" I can buy another complete set, but not the single one. He says he thinks HD is the only one using a T27!! Frustrating.

I couldn't agree more with the original poster, I can relate to every one of the things mentioned!!

I got mine at the local O'Reilly auto parts. They sold them individually.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

ORIGINAL: stro1965

I got mine at the local O'Reilly auto parts. They sold them individually.
I tried NAPA and Sears yesterday, I'll check O'Reilly today, thanks!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:59 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[/align]When I worked at Autozone, a guy came in one night needing a tool we did not have. I don't remember what it was, but he missed a whole weekend of riding because of it. He was ranting in the store about HD, and how screwed up it was for them to use a fastener which required a tool he did not have. I was not a harley owner at the time, so I could not fully appreciate dilema, until now. As a metric only rider at that time, I had never needed anything other than a basic set of hand tools to work on my bikes. Thank goodness my 07 Dyna has been nothing more than routine maintenance so far.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 AM
miketami
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: notorious

Think, just buy a bike and ride it without want to do other things to make it right.
Great idera, sounds to much like a honda?

Quick Reply: Stupid things HD does...............