General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice wanted on buying a vintage bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 08:27 AM
Phideux
Tourer
Received 124 Likes on 73 Posts

If you are mechanically inclined, go for it. Old Harleys are incredibly simple machines, easy to work on. Plus parts are pretty easy to get. I have a Shovel and an Ironhead.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:46 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,285 Likes on 1,320 Posts

ha ha. Get a vintage bike like an EVO. My EVO is my NEW bike.

So I have two vintage bikes. An ironhead and a shovel. When I got the shovel, It was about 6 months or so before I rode it and it was in pretty good shape. All I had to do was rewire the thing, battery, brakes, tires, complete primary rebuild, and some other misc. messes. The EVO is my daily rider. I like to take the shovel out on Sunday afternoons out in the County. I always have a big smile on my face while I'm lumping along on it. And what about the ironhead? Well, i'm calling in a Priest for that thing. I spend more time working on it than riding it. They say shovels are harder to work on; get an ironhead. Not for me. I just get the shovel. It's straight forward and everything makes sense.

My advice is to get as close to a stock bike as you can. And make sure this will be your second bike.

carl

Old 04-06-2021, 07:04 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts

This thread helps immensely to my new post with a similar aim...

Old 04-07-2021, 09:20 AM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

go for it. it builds character.

The following users liked this post:
GBHH (04-09-2021)
Old 04-07-2021, 09:30 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Phideux
If you are mechanically inclined, go for it. Old Harleys are incredibly simple machines, easy to work on. Plus parts are pretty easy to get. I have a Shovel and an Ironhead.
Hmm, I found a 73 Ironhead basket case and wished I looked for a Shovel. I need to replace the cam cover and learned that RARE special tools are required for installation of the cam bushings as well as just knowing how to do the task. Maintenance manuals are terrible and experienced mechanics are getting hard to find. There are a lot of videos, but each one does it different. Ironheads are notorious for cracked primary cases because gasket seal gets in the bolt holes, which creates cracks when the bolts are torqued down. That requires a good welder/machinist to fix the case. Or just clean up a lot of oil leaks. I don't know, but I find that I'm going two steps back for every step forward on this bike. Funny enough, basket case Ironheads aren't all that much cheaper than a running Ironheads that needs a little tender loving care. I would look for Shovel.

Beary

Old 04-07-2021, 02:49 PM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,922 Likes on 3,290 Posts

I love all this "rare" & "vintage" talk about shovels. lmao.

One thing I will say, building a shovel would be the most satisfying and by far more reliable than a pan or nunk. Prepare to put $10K in a basket case, not including paint if you want a daily rider.