General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Riding

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:38 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Cold Weather Riding

Need a little help with cold weather riding gear. I have been commuting to work on my '05 Dyna with windshield. The rode is about an hour and a half each way. In the morning the temp has been around the upper thirties/low forties. My fingertips are going numb after a half hour. I have tried various gloves with minimal success so far. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. A friend mentioned heated grips this morning.
Also, what are you guys using to stop fogging on full face helmet visors.

Thanks

Mike

Old 11-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,865 Likes on 808 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather Riding

I just got some Gerbing's gear, and does it ever make a difference!! I got the full jacket liner and glove liners with the dual controller so that I can control the heat to my hands seperately from the jacket. The hookup is easy, and the glove liners allow me to wear my regular leather gaunlets (in which my hands FREEZE fast). I went for about an hour's ride last night when it was in the 40s, and the only thing that go cold were my legs and feet.

As for fogging, I don't wear a full-face lid, but my goggles have that problem. I use FogTech and it works great.

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 11-04-2005, 11:49 AM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to have a Dyna and I discovered that much of the wind that was making me cold was coming from underneath. Lower wind deflectors would really help. From a couple friends and a few threads on this forum, I have learned that heated grips are not that reliable. I would go with heated gloves instead. Can't help with the visor other than to say that I sometimes crack mine open just a smidge to help with the fogging...but that can defeat the purpose of staying warm.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

I have an 05 FXDI with HD windshield with a 45 minute commute to work.

Yesterday morning temps were in the 20's and I was fine.

You can't beat electric gear if you don't mind spending the money and time to hook them up.

I wear GORE-TEX® Pinnacle Gloves with a pair of silk liner (also from Cabela) underneath. Occasionally my hands will be a little chilled but never too cold.

Cabelas

One other thing I do is to put my gloves (leather side down) on the heater to pre warm them. That way I start off with topasty warm hands.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:24 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

One minor word of caution. When buying electric jacket liners, gloves, socks, pants, etc, check the output of your alternator. Dynas (I have one) aren't your normal touring scoot. If you overload the alternator with too much stuff, you will start drawing from the battery...may not start when you want to go home.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:45 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some thin rubber gloves (the kind doctors wear). Wear them under your regular gloves. Also, put something over your head. You keep your head and body extra warm and your hands will be a lot warmer.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:51 AM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested in heated clothing but not willing to spend the HUGE $$$ to buy it? Check this out... http://www.shadowriders.org/faq/electricvests.html

Old 12-22-2005, 05:18 PM
KWigley
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got some Harley gloves ad I ride in the teens. My hands have never gotten cold. I just finished 1317 miles and they bever got cold.

I had some deer hunters tell me to weare panty hose under my long johns and leather,but I'm afriad i will lay it down and wind up in a hospital with them on.

Old 12-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Danester
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some deer hunters tell me to weare panty hose under my long johns and leather,but I'm afriad i will lay it down and wind up in a hospital with them on
now that's some funny SH%T!

Old 12-22-2005, 05:59 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've ridden in the middle teens to the high fifties with the following gear:

silk socks/heavy wool socks/insulated hiking boots
Slik longjohns
thermal longjohns
blue jeans
leather chaps
longsleeved t-shirt
heavy cotton rugby shirt
heavy lined leather jacket
woolen scarf
hood covering head, throat, and mouth.
full face helmet (to keep faceplate from fogging up I just crack it when moving slow or stopped)
Thinsulate gauntlets (do not get the Gore Tex kind unless you want cold fingers)

Yes it is cold under 20* and yes it is hot starting at 60*, but other than that it's fairly comfy.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Riding