General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 07:13 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather Riding

my best suggestion is leave the thing in the garage
you take it out in that kind of weather and make it made it is
going to cost you money
here in so. cal 50 is way to cold..

Old 12-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same problem, so I mentioned it to my wife. I'll let you know what Santa brings. Merry Christmas, Tim

Old 12-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lee....

The first thing that came to mind after reading your riding gear list was the younger brother in A Christmas Story when his mom was dressing him to go outside and play.....his arms were stuck out to the side and he couldn't put them down.

Hey Clammy...

Thanks for that info. I've been thinking about getting those Gerbing glove inserts but never pulled the trigger on them. My fingers are the only thing that gets cold......to the point of having to run them under water when I get to work. Looks like I'll be ordering a pair.

Brian

Old 12-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cohiba_Joe

Hey Lee....

The first thing that came to mind after reading your riding gear list was the younger brother in A Christmas Story when his mom was dressing him to go outside and play.....his arms were stuck out to the side and he couldn't put them down.

Brian
Brian,

Hah, hah, hah, I feel a whole lot like the Michelin Man.

Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Us CA rider is a bit spoiled we think it cold when it's 60
ORIGINAL: grumpy irish again

my best suggestion is leave the thing in the garage
you take it out in that kind of weather and make it made it is
going to cost you money
here in so. cal 50 is way to cold..

Old 12-22-2005, 10:19 PM
05RdKing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear the hood over my head that tucks down into my jacket frt & back, under-armor (bottom), chaps (sometimes Harley rain suit bottom over chaps on really cold day), Harley 11" boots, t-shirt, shirt (or sweatshirt here), insulated flannel shirt, heavy insulated vest, leather jacket, harley gauntlet gloves with latex gloves on first (doctor gloves), windshield on my '06 Softail Std and my Road King, Harley lowers on the Road King with some deflectors I fabricated out of thin aluminum just above the lowers to stop all wind coming in under the windshield.
Not like some who say they ride in any weather, I really do ride my Harley's EVERY day leaving at 4:30 to 5:30 in the morning, except 2 days when there was still snow on the road (I NEVER see anyone else on the road on a bike when it's cold). On the coldest days I take the Road King (so far the coldest day was around 4 degrees). I really am comfortable for the most part on the 30 mile ride to work, with my fingers & toes getting cold on the coldest days; I warm my hands on the engine while I'm riding - just be careful doing this - I damn near set my glove on fire once from holding it on the open rear exhaust pipe (not covered by a heat shield). I also keep my bikes in the basement, so I'm all dressed and just push them out the door in the morning - this makes it easier to get started in the morning, since I REALLY need to cool down from all the stuff I'm wearing before I get out the door! And no, I do not look like I can't move - this stuff to me is just right.
Yesterday I ordered the Gerbing gloves, socks, and pants, because I'd like to not wear so much, and I don't like my fingers & toes getting cold.

Hey Clammy, I just got my '06 Softail as #2 HD - it's almost the same as your Night Train except for the all black, drag bars, and a couple little things - it's a GREAT bike, and I'm going to put the NT drag bars on - I sat on a Night Train and these bars feel perfect. Now I know why you waited so long for your bike - these Softails are really nice!!

jim[&:]

Old 12-22-2005, 10:21 PM
redscout
Road Captain

There's a lot of sack in this forum... I guess I'm the pu$$y boy. I've worn Carharts, vests, leathers, longjohns, hooded sweats until I was the kid from Christmas Story, and 35 or so is the best I can do... And then for a short time. Sort of ruins the fun for me to be shivering my marbles off...

My hat's off to you hard-timers. I'll jump in the Jeep and go 4-wheeling when it gets below 35 (and most of the time, below 45). Must be the thin blood of old age...

Old 12-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: redscout

There's a lot of sack in this forum... I guess I'm the pu$$y boy. I've worn Carharts, vests, leathers, longjohns, hooded sweats until I was the kid from Christmas Story, and 35 or so is the best I can do... And then for a short time. Sort of ruins the fun for me to be shivering my marbles off...

My hat's off to you hard-timers. I'll jump in the Jeep and go 4-wheeling when it gets below 35 (and most of the time, below 45). Must be the thin blood of old age...
Heck, I guess so. I'm 65 and I'll go riding unless there is ice or snow in the roadway/

Old 12-22-2005, 11:58 PM
redscout
Road Captain

Yep... I'm lame...

But as much as I like the bikes, I like other things too... When it gets cold, the Jeep has a whole 'nuther excitement factor. Glad I can afford both.

Now if I lived in SOCAL, I doubt I'd even own a 4 wheeler.

You guys are tough... I'm not as tough as I am a hedonist.... Works for me.

Old 12-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Tripper

ORIGINAL: redscout

Heck, I guess so. I'm 65 and I'll go riding unless there is ice or snow in the roadway/
Oh, I forgot to add Kat, my wife, comes with me a lot of the time. She tends to keep my back warm. We're planning on a local "Frosty ***** and Chilly ****" run on January 1.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Riding