Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Out My Newbie Gear So Far

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Check Out My Newbie Gear So Far

Welcome to the forums - watch out for "the disease"......but you got a chance since it's a nightster......

Lots of us have chromitis.......however, you might get black part syndrome.....

Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice bike there Myuser. I must be getting old. Never thought about "gear" to ride, just rode. Levis and boots to keep from burning or breaking, gloves to keep from freezing or skinning, T-shirt (jacket when colder) as not to blind the inocent, shades in the day and helmet to keep legal. Bout it.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:54 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned

ORIGINAL: ladyglide

ORIGINAL: myuserid

My first bike, completely new to motorcycling... here is what I bought so far

Bike = 2007 1200 Nightster bought last sunday

Helmet = Harley

Jacket = Joe Rocket Phoenix 4.0 (this is the exact one)

I have a pair of nice mountain biking gloves I was going to use.
Might buy a set of HD Boots or just use my old Doc Martens
Also, still need to buy some goggles... Hitting the harley shop after work tonight.

What do you think? Will the blue jacket clash too much with the orange in the bike? (I know in reality it doesnt matter much...)

Anything else im missing?
from an artistic view, blue is the compliment of orange, you coulduse an orange bandana or sumpthin' to tie it all into an attractive outfit

ride safe man!!
That cracks me up.

On the serious side, the nightser is one cool bike. Id venture to say that it is the coolet bike harley has out right now.
The Joe Rocket Jacket is a really good jacket, and it looks good in blue.
If you get goggles,please post a picture of yourself on the bike , wearing all your gear..Please??

Blackmouth, the 1200 sportster will be fine for his first bike, if hes careful. At least he didnt go out and get a 600cc sportbike or worse, a liter bike. Ive heard of guys getting ZX-14s and Hayabusas as there first bikes. Now THATS scary.
My first bike was a 700 Intercepter.
Point is, hell be fine.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Sam

Give the guy a break, he's excited about his bike...... they're just yankin' your chain myuserid.Wear what you like, Harley boots are very comfortable (made by Wolverine) and will outlast the Doc Martens. The Nightster is a cool looking bike, as for gear, you'll find things you like and dislike "after" you've bought them, used themand can't return them...............just the nature of the beast
Exactly. The mesh jacket is okay for the warmer weather but do get yourself a nice warm BLACKLEATHER jacket before the weather starts to turn. Hint, hint. Make sure that it covers the top of you back pockets or it makes for a cold small of the back.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:50 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 240 Posts

My first bike, I bought a jacket almost identical to yours. Wore it twice........ Got a black leather (non harley) jacket. Had some boots I used for awhile but ended up getting good boots from cruiserworks.com (best I've seen). I went a step further and got a full face helmet. That lasted a couple of weeks before I went to a half. After 5 different half helmets, I just got a DOT carbon fiber half from carbonfiberhelmets.com. We all make mistakes the first time. Wear what you like but I don't think you'll like that jacket much.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:00 PM
INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tripper

Give the guy a break, he's excited about his bike...... they're just yankin' your chain myuserid.Wear what you like, Harley boots are very comfortable (made by Wolverine) and will outlast the Doc Martens. The Nightster is a cool looking bike, as for gear, you'll find things you like and dislike "after" you've bought them, used themand can't return them...............just the nature of the beast
Exactly. The mesh jacket is okay for the warmer weather but do get yourself a nice warm BLACKLEATHER jacket before the weather starts to turn. Hint, hint. Make sure that it covers the top of you back pockets or it makes for a cold small of the back.
The Joe Rocket Phoenix he got has a zip in liner. I dont know if its a wind/rain or insulated liner though. I think you can purchase the other liner seperately. So there should be no need to buy leather, unless he feels he has to wear it to "fit in" with the rest of the Pirates.

<EDIT> I just checked and hes from southern Florida, so there should be no need for him to need insulated gear or leather.

I have a TourMaster Intake on back order right now, I picked it over the Joe Rocket because it Has 3 liners. One for winter. I think The Joe Rocket has a rain liner.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:11 PM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain

Except for the last comment about his stuff matching, I don't see anything wrong with the man's post. All of the items that he has mentioned are recommended for riding (except for the rocket jacket).

Old 07-27-2007, 05:12 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: INDEPENDENTBIKEWORKS

ORIGINAL: Tripper

The Joe Rocket Phoenix he got has a zip in liner. I dont know if its a wind/rain or insulated liner though. I think you can purchase the other liner seperately. So there should be no need to buy leather, unless he feels he has to wear it to "fit in" with the rest of the Pirates.

<EDIT> I just checked and hes from southern Florida, so there should be no need for him to need insulated gear or leather.

I have a TourMaster Intake on back order right now, I picked it over the Joe Rocket because it Has 3 liners. One for winter. I think The Joe Rocket has a rain liner.
Yup, no need for leather. Heavy duty rain gear is in order though.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 PM
lawhd
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ladyglide

from an artistic view, blue is the compliment of orange, you coulduse an orange bandana or sumpthin' to tie it all into an attractive outfit

ride safe man!!
Did you say BLUE & ORANGE.....

GO GATORS!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

Fantastic bike. The jacket however looks a mite Metric. Black leather is the best but I like the medium weight for Spring and Fall riding. I no longer ride in the dead of winter.
Harley boots are comfortable and not too expensive. I wear goggles that go over spectacles cause I'm near sighted and it keeps the wind off my eyeballs as well. I wish I could wear my RX sunglasses but too much wind gets in and my eyes constantly water-not good.
Marsh

Quick Reply: Check Out My Newbie Gear So Far