General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride report....Fullface helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ride report....Fullface helmet.

I decided to buy a fullface helmet for winter riding. Back in the 70's, when I had a Yamahammer, XS650 Special, I wore a fullface helmet.

When I bought my Harley back in '97, I've worn only halfhelmets.

So, I buy a HJC CL-14 fullface helmet. When I first put it on, I felt kinda closed in. (figured out real quick there ain't no claustrophobic fullface wearers out there)

For the actual 'ride report' here it is:

The bad parts:

1. The vision is terrible. I have to turn my head so far either way to see what I saw wearing a halfhelmet. I'll get used to it.
2. I can't hear cars around me, or passing me, or hear much of anything!
3. Yeah, I can hear my exhaust, though the sound seems to be coming throught the seat, UP me and to my head.
4. After about 2 miles, my nose started to itch. No scratching, or picking, wearing this helmet.
5. The feeling of speed wearing a fullface goes completely away compared to wearing a halfhelmet. It's almost like being in a car.

The good parts:

1. Riding in 40 degree weather, my head and face was much warmer. After all, that's why I bought the fullface helmet in the first place.
2. Somehow, I felt 'safer.' Weird, but I can kinda see how crotchrocket riders go crazy with going faster. (this might not be a 'good part' after all)

I'll wear the fullface for riding temps under 50. Damn, when's SPRING?????

Old 11-04-2005, 09:11 AM
intruder400ex
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ride report....Fullface helmet.

This is so true that you feel safer with the full face its odd. I have the same helmet but for some reason it feels like it takes away from the riding experience so now i just wear a neoprean face mask and its much better.

Steve

Old 11-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Winger40
6th Gear

You should look at a full-face flipup.....best of both worlds. I have six helmets in all styles and find that I prefer the flipup. Easy one-handed operation...lots of options.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Got me a flip up. Noticed louder wind noise than I expected with a full face helmet. The point of my chin and throat still got cold. I did not realize a reduction in field of view; it is about the same as with my 3/4 helmet.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:34 PM
EK5858
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a full face flip up in the extreme cold and it works well

Old 11-04-2005, 05:02 PM
fordracing19
Advanced

I just bought a nolan n100e and really like it. I do not have a windshield so it helps on the cool mornings and nights.

Old 11-04-2005, 06:22 PM
Release
Intermediate

Flip-Ups work great, less claustrophobic than regular full-facers, probably a bit draftier than a normal full-face, but still so much better than a 1/2 or 3/4 in the cold weather.

Old 11-04-2005, 09:35 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Daytona 1/2 helmet that I use in the summer. In the winter, I put a flip visor on it until that gets too cold then I use my HD full face but I hate it. I can't wait until spring! Tim ( I also use the flip visor during love bug season)

Old 11-04-2005, 11:44 PM
toadmanor
Road Captain

I have the CL-MAX 14 which is the flip up which I use when cold and an Arai Platinum 3/4 which I use otherwise. I had to laugh when I read about nose scratching...seems my nose always needs some when using the full face.

Old 11-06-2005, 01:11 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Did 122 miles yesterday with the full face in 41 degree weather at 70 MPH. Defintietly keeps you warmer! Still needed the earplugs though![&:]

I did feel safer, and you have to use your mirrors more often, as you can't move your head around as much. Feels good to know that if you take a flop, your head will be okay!!!

joe

Quick Reply: Ride report....Fullface helmet.