General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw the Softail Standard in person Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020 | 05:33 AM
Dooley
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cap77
looks like a Honda?!?!?
maybe I'm not discriminating enough ...but it looks unmistakably like a Harley to me

I like the Low Rider better (the chrome one, not the blacked out S version)
But other than the airfilter cover, the Softail Standard looks pretty good to me

as far as fender fetishes goes...some of the Harley model fenders remind me of Honda's 305 Dream from back in the day
That duckbutt swoop on the ends has never appealed to me

..L.T.A.

The small, Honda like tank doesn't help.
The Standard and the Street Bob desperately need the fat tank.

And the fenders across the new Softail line all sit too high off the rear tire......very metric looking IMO.

I don't understand the turn into ugly Harley has been taking.

Metric cruisers have always been ridiculed for the poor job they did trying to look like a Harley.

Now, Harley is making bikes that look like a metric trying to look like a Harley.....

I don't get it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dooley:
6 gun (08-19-2020), TroubleHead Fred (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020 | 06:00 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Prot
Compare the twin cam softail standard to the M8 version.

not even close. Here’s the real crazy part you can buy a real nice low mileage TC Softail Standard for 5k and get a real Harley Motorcycle.

Old 08-19-2020 | 07:51 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
not even close. Here’s the real crazy part you can buy a real nice low mileage TC Softail Standard for 5k and get a real Harley Motorcycle.
Evo’s are going for even less. You tune the damn things by adjusting the carburetor with a screwdriver costing a couple of dollars that you can use on multiple bikes even.

My current bike is a 1995 Heritage Softail Classic.

Oh, and Dickey, you are crazy for getting rid of that Evo Softail Custom. To me it is one of the most iconic looking bikes Harley ever built. I was looking to buy one when I came across a great deal on my Heritage that I couldn’t pass up so I went that way instead.

Old 08-19-2020 | 12:08 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm curious about something.

Forget the styling considerations. When the MoCo went to the new softail frame, one of the primary benefits was incorporating what was essentially a sportbike style monoshock rear swingarm/suspension.

So, does it work? I've never ridden one of the new ones. Are they still "sloptails", or did the new design tighten them up?

Old 08-19-2020 | 12:13 PM
Mart
Road Master

The shock is a bit budget. By all accounts a good replacement shows the frame / swing arm is well designed. But, for some reason, they left a large gap around the shock so that everything gets thrown up from the road onto the electronics under the seat. 2 steps forward, one step back.

Old 08-19-2020 | 03:35 PM
Prot
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by 0maha
I'm curious about something.

Forget the styling considerations. When the MoCo went to the new softail frame, one of the primary benefits was incorporating what was essentially a sportbike style monoshock rear swingarm/suspension.

So, does it work? I've never ridden one of the new ones. Are they still "sloptails", or did the new design tighten them up?
Everything I read says they ride and handle great. One of our Evo brethren bought one after crashing his bike. He says the major complaint is it feels sterile in comparison to his Evo.

I haven’t tried one myself. Oddly enough, shortly after the corona started, my own health problems damn near went away and I am ready to ride. The only problem is so much is closed or at significantly reduced capacity plus some complex things at my job regarding exposure, quarantine, and the nature of what I do at work, I reality have to stay home and go to work and limit being in public.

Old 08-19-2020 | 05:57 PM
Ironworker69
Grand HDF Member

I liked it, simplicity isn’t for everyone

Old 08-19-2020 | 06:31 PM
Pianoman18
Tourer

I rode the first one out here in north seattle last spring. It is very small in person and very uncomfortable and I'm only 5'9". It seemed like a honda to me although at idle there was a noticeable "harley" shake that I never noticed on the Low Rider, Fat bob, Heritage, or Sport Glide. So that's something. Brakes were good and it sure zips being light. The tank is too small to hug with your legs and the gauge is a joke from the 80s. But the seat is the most gawd awful thing ever designed. Just terrible. It's rounded outward so my butt was being pushed out of the seat instead of into it. Completely bass ackwards.

I just don't know about these newer frames. It's like they decided to remove all character, form, function and soul on purpose and it makes the new bikes do nothing for me.

Old 08-20-2020 | 06:32 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior

No big twin is light. A Ducati is light.

Sheesh.

Old 08-20-2020 | 07:52 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I rode one when looking for a supplement to my RKS, something for around town and shorter trips and lighter than my Road King to throw around. I was really impressed with how smooth and punchy the power band was, even completely stock. It would've given my SE110 twin cam a run for its money. Sure it sounds different than past motors but so did every other iteration of the v-twin, remember "see no evo, hear no evo, ride no evo" and now it's highly sought after. It's all subjective anyway.

The following users liked this post:
eighteight (08-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Saw the Softail Standard in person Saturday