General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First Time......

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005 | 07:20 PM
harleybiker
|
Tourer
Default The First Time......

How long did it take for you to venture into heavier traffic, highways, and greater distances from home? Thanks.

hb

Old 11-03-2005 | 07:28 PM
Exquzet
Advanced
Default RE: The First Time......

My first ride was about 200 miles. Rode freeways down to OC, PCH to Ortega Highway, down into Lake Elsinore area then back home. Still do the same ride today, but extend to Dana Point for lunch, and to Tom's Farm before heading home.

Old 11-03-2005 | 07:33 PM
2BKFXDL
Road Master

I think it varies for everyone.

My first time in traffic was when I was something like 14.....so I don;t really reacall

Even for former riders who took a respite the stats are something like 3-5k miles before you get back to the level of experience and comfort you were at prior to the break.

You do what makes you comfortable and no more....only you know that.

Then there are some like my Dad who had not ridden in 15 years.....goes out and buys a new Heritage Softtail Classic and the first real trip he and Mom took was around 1100 miles......not that I recommended that nor that i ever excpected to see them again but that was his was of being extreme I guess.

Old 11-03-2005 | 07:53 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer

Like the others said...it depends on your comfort level...don't push it. I took the motorcycle safety course after a 20 year absents from biking. Then I practiced around town ... not so busy roads and parking lots. Then finally I took a 300km ride through twisty mountain roads that became a busy 4 lane highway. From there I set out the next summer on some 5-6 hr rides into mixed conditions. Do what you feel comfortable doing and ride safe. [sm=goodidea.gif]

P.S I did ride two up right off because I knew that was what we would be doing so I got right at it. Now I don't know what it's like not to ride two up, but I'm okey with that. Some say don't ride two up right off...that's another personal issue.

Old 11-03-2005 | 08:58 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Take your time, enjoy the bike. Find some patient friends to ride with. Don't push yourself you will become more comfortable with distance and highways in time.

Enjoy!

Old 11-03-2005 | 09:20 PM
jason w
Intermediate

When I pulled out the dealership, of course that was several years ago on a ricer.

Old 11-03-2005 | 09:40 PM
intruder400ex
Road Captain

Due to me pressuring others a friend went down and since then I am very carefull with pressuring others.

Steve know your limits

Old 11-04-2005 | 12:19 AM
scooterbooter
Tourer

Don't judge yourself against others, only judge yourself against your own comfort level.

Having said that, when I learned to ride, I was 16 and in the UK, the course includes half a day riding around town being followed by an instructor, and that was just the compulsory basic training. At that time I went everywhere on my scoot, went on it to school and everything, so I got used to traffic in a hurry.

After a 12 year hiatus from riding, I came back to it this year. I wouldn't get on a bike before I had my MSF course, then I rode around back roads for about 3 days, and then on into town traffic. The first time I was very uncomfortable, but after a few times I felt more relaxed driving in town.
You have to feel comfortable in being able to assess road conditions and to be comfortable in being able to pull off emergency braking or swerving if needed. If you don't have that comfort level, I strongly suggest taking an MSF course, that will certainly help you learn how to identify and handle emergent road situations.

I would also suggest easing yourself in by riding around the outside of town, and also pick your time of day to be the least busy. Gain practice and confidence in a lower risk environment, before heading down the main drag at rush hour, that much is for sure.

Old 11-04-2005 | 12:27 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member

soon as i got the bike went slow and at a pace i was comfortable with. havent stopped since

Old 11-04-2005 | 02:51 AM
TennRider
Tourer

I just bought my first bike 3 weeks ago after a 20 yrs. of not riding.

day 1, back roads that I knew there would be the lease amount of traffic.
day 2, more back roads, secondary roads, but with more traffic
day 3, I was comfortable enough to take into Nashville via the interstate to a swap meet, but I did it at 9 am when there would be minimal traffic, but took back roads home (slower traffic) in the afternoon as I didn't want to deal with the idiots.

Now I just ride, but I prefer the back roads in anycase.

Just ride within your comfort zone and you'll know when its right to venture out.

Quick Reply: The First Time......