General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The First Time......

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005 | 11:21 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: The First Time......

about a week after i got it i rode through rush hour on a four lane interstate with my dad, it was a lot easier than i expected when i saw what was coming as i rode down the off ramp.

Old 11-04-2005 | 11:34 AM
iceburgh
Road Warrior

I didn't really have an agenda back then, I just rode. I think it was probably the first or second day I had my first bike. I rode it to work and had to access the highway to get there. I remember the first good shot of wind I got from a semi ... that woke me up real quick.

Old 11-04-2005 | 12:40 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

I was riding a bike in heavy traffic before I had a license. I had a job at 15 yoa (I'm 42 now), put an old found license plate on back of my 125, and rode across town (Ann Arbor) until I got caught. My first ticket. I just got my firt Harley beginning of October, and had some anxiety due to it's weight and the fact I hadn't been on a bike in eight years. The only problem I had was learning how far I could lean without scraping the floor boards. I think one of the problems in getting used to a big bike or any bike, if you've never rode before, is slow speeds (under 5mph). If you get stuck in stop & go traffic and aren't stable, it could make you nervous. One of my buddies never rode a bike before and bought a Heritage Classic. Had someone else ride it to his house from the dealer, then took classes on a smaller bike. He started out by riding around his residential block by himself a few times, then slowly graduated to going out in light traffic, etc. It didn't take him long before he was taking long road trips with momma on the back with no problems. YOU are the only one who can determine when you are ready for different conditions. Don't do it until YOU feel ready, as the consequences are severe. Be careful, have fun. I have not ordered the video, but several people give good reviews to the ride like a pro instruction (www.ridelikeapro.com) i think is their site.