General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Highway riding

I ride the bike to work almost every day in the summer. Never had to much of a problem except for the last 3 times out. Cruising along in the fast lane and damned if a cagedosent comeright over into my lane each time. No turn signal and for sure no checking there blind spot. Each time I gassed the bike so I wouldnt get hit. I showed them though..I flashed my brights at them. (missed the horn). Let them know they are #1 and kept going on down the road.
So lets hear if I am doing something wrong. Dont think so but I figured I would ask just in case.

Always ride the fast lane and stay to the outside. (This is what has saved me from getting ran into the last 3 days..had enough time to speed up to avoid collision) Riding with the flow of traffic.
Dont want to ride the center lane because then I would have to worry about the idiots coming from both lanes into mine.
Dont ride in the slow lane (except to exit) because its to slow, merging traffic, and the idiots that realize they areabout to miss there exit at the last minute want to shoot over.

Never had a problem before with this and I dont believe I have changed my riding style.
They say things run in 3 so I believe I met my quota for awhile.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:58 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Highway riding

I would suggest taking the MSF basic riders course.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:08 PM
detailer03
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long have you been riding?

You allowed yourself to get in that position. You were in THIER blind spot. Never let a car ride side by side with you. The left lane is not safe unless you are exceeding the speed of all other vehicles. People driving during rush hour are very busy talking on the phone and drinking coffee or what ever starbucks sells.

You must be defensive all the time. The right lane with merging traffic may be the place to be. At least you know what they are going to do.

I have been riding the roads for about 30 years. Don't allow yourself to be in the blind spot. No one in AZ seems to know what directional signals are.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

on my way into work this morning, 25 miles each way on I95, I pretty much do the same things you stated and for the same logic. I might add two things:
1. to avoid any possible road debris, always ride in tread area/lane of cagers (preferably left of center)
2. pray for safe travels.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:13 PM
spike95
Road Master

Careless, lazy, and selfish drivers are a sad fact of life. I just try to accelerate past a cars blind spot to minimize my time in the danger zone. Just do everything you can to remain visible to drivers that aren't going to go out of their way to look for you.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

And if you're coming up on a car to pass, try to watch their wheels to see if they're looking to change lanes. This seems to help me.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:16 PM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: detailer03

No one in AZ seems to know what directional signals are.
Same in NY. I call it the Lost Art of the Turn Signal . .

Old 07-25-2007, 03:18 PM
DYNAMITE 1
Tourer

Riding in the far side of a lane (IE) left of fast lane encourages drivers to get in you lane as they think there's more room. You may think thats what "saved you" but it probably caused them to enter your lane early.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:35 PM
bulldogmoe7
Ultimate HDF Member

i dont believe in the saying make yourself "invisible" make yourself as visible as possible. never ride in a cars blind spot, its either in front of them or behind them. never beside them. if i am in a 2 lane road. and there is a car way behind me or way in front of me. i wont let that happen. it is harder for the potential car that will pull out to "not" see me ifi am along. therefore i pull up behind the car in front of me, not to close though. be seen as much as possible. also the fast lane is ment for fast drivers, why not slow it down and take the left side of the center lane. at this view point you can see what is going on on all sides. what is coming on to the highway and what is passing you in the fast lane. if you are in the center lane you have a lane on each side incase somthing pops up and you need to change.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get louder pipes!

Quick Reply: Highway riding