Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 07:28 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually I speed up to quickly get out of the blind spot when passing. I constantly look around for what the other person is gonna do and keep a check on my mirrors. Every time I haven't checked my mirrors for a minute, some one flys by me scaring the **** out of me. Never fails.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:39 AM
thefixer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably would have been better for you to slow down (take a defensive position) and let the driver take the space in front of you, rather than speed up.
Then you can let them know you were there with your lights.....Maybe then they would become more observant.
Sounds like you were in the blind spot.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 AM
mccalljv
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whaap
I'm the poster anda formerMSF instructor. I admit the answer was curt but in turn the answer to your question would have had to be extremly lengthy to point out "all" the things you're doing wrong. The answer I gave, although perhaps a little cruel sounding, is the best thing you could do.
I firmly believe that the MSF course has saved my hide on several occasions.

From the course and personal experience.

1. Try to ride in fast lane, right third of lane, as stated keeps them from thinking they can squeeze in and more room to maneuver and dodge obstacles.(in CA they'll take whatever they can get)
2. Always slightly faster than the flow of traffic
3. Always in front or behind the car, never side by side, even if they don't see you and pull in they hopefully won't clip you.
4. Scan far ahead for erratic car movements, this one saved me from hitting a ladder that was in the middle of the freeway. As well as from unexpected backups/traffic jams
5. Keep as much of a cushion around you in all directions at all times. Can't stand tailgaters...

Hope the thread helps and ride safe.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:59 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I know for me, I ride the freeway everyday at 5:00am...I hang out on the left hand side of the right hand lane just doing the speed limit. Agree, here in AZ, no turn signals and just about everyone has to drive 900 miles an hour.
Couple things that just set me off - The jerkoffs that have to cut through the gorepoint and tailgators.
Always looking for the threat. If it does not happen, it is a good day. I just hang out, do the speed limit, make myself visible and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:44 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by DYNAMITE 1
Riding in the far side of a lane (IE) left of fast lane encourages drivers to get in you lane as they think there's more room. You may think thats what "saved you" but it probably caused them to enter your lane early.

^^^ What he said. In the passing lane I ride the right half. I want to be sure they can see me in their mirror.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:54 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bubbas1
I agree that I may have been in there blind spot (dosent excuse them for not checking there blind spot though).
Doesn't matter if they're right or wrong or if they checked their blind spot. What matters is that you keep your *** off the pavement. When riding you have to anticipate and counter other peoples mistakes.