General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Highway riding

The left lane is for passing or driving fast.

If people are passiung you then you are in the wrong lane.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Kolni
Banned

And FYI, here in Cali we throw away our mirrors and never uyse turn signals. Using signals just gives the other drivers a warning to take the spot you were going for.

Yeah, we drive rather aggresively here.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:52 AM
uesque
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RandyNC

It would be great if the DMV would make it part of your driving test ...thateveryone has to learn how to ride a motorcycle...

I admit that since I have been riding my bike, I have learn so much about looking for bikes.

When I first started driving, they have been times when I just didn't see a motorcycle. Maybe I wasn't looking for one...they don't teach you very much about motorcycles at the DMV.

You start learning about bikes when you start riding them, i'm sure we have many days that we question ourselfs about riding. But we love it.

All they really want is your money for the M on your DL.
My wife had the same experience when she took the part of the MSF course where they teach about the differences between cars and bikes. She kept repeating "I didn't know that, I didn't know that" She's a better car driver for having taken the course.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Kolni
Banned

ORIGINAL: Tinkermc

I don't care how thin the pancake is there are two sides.
I LIKE that one!

Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cadman311

I have had drivers cut me off and drive in my lane. Just do not what I do. I pass them and slow down to a stop. Put the kick stand and take care of bussiness. I tell you one thing the same driver will never pull in front of me any more. Theywill pull over when I'm coming down the highwayfrom now on.
Dude, Stop in the fast lane in So. Cal at any hour and you would be dead before you got the kickstand down!

Old 07-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Always ride the fast lane and stay to the outside
Seems to me that's a big part of the problem, make you less likely to be seen.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:00 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: spike95

Careless, lazy, and selfish drivers are a sad fact of life. I just try to accelerate past a cars blind spot to minimize my time in the danger zone. Just do everything you can to remain visible to drivers that aren't going to go out of their way to look for you.
Yep

Old 07-27-2007, 11:48 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: DYNAMITE 1

Riding in the far side of a lane (IE) left of fast lane encourages drivers to get in your lane .
I agree. Always protect your lane by staying to the left of the right hand lane, and to the right of the left hand lane.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:44 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: bubbas1

ORIGINAL: whaap

I would suggest taking the MSF basic riders course.
And you learned what from the course that you can contribute to the thread??

Thats what I thought. Nothing against the MSF course. Just the poster.

To everyone else...thanks for the input.

I guess its a crap shoot (except for the middle lane). I agree that I may have been in there blind spot (dosent excuse them for not checking there blind spot though). I agree that defensive driving is always the best.(Thats what kept me from being taken out).

Was just wondering how others rode on the highway to keep themselves safe.
I'm the poster anda formerMSF instructor. I admit the answer was curt but in turn the answer to your question would have had to be extremly lengthy to point out "all" the things you're doing wrong. The answer I gave, although perhaps a little cruel sounding, is the best thing you could do.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:58 AM
assgasgrass
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twotonetom
This post is very helpful. I am having some problems riding on the highway. I'm coming back to riding after 20years. I was mainly a backroad rider in upstate NY. I now live and ride in NYC. To get upstate I have to deal with everyone trying to kill me. Moreover, my friends tell me I'm too slow. I have trouble keeping at 60mph in heavy traffic. Even on country highways at 70mph people still want to pass me. I bought a HOG because my fast day a gone. However, I believe that I need to move faster than everyone else if I want to LIVE. I need Help. My friends tell me I'm the Best Slow Rider. They think fear slows me down. I have a 07 lowrider with 2k on it. I hope it gets better I have moments on those backroads that feel great But going home tired on those highways I feel like selling the bike.

Thanks,

TOM
NYC
this post reminded me of this video clip , L&R - http://youtu.be/AY_rSpBlbg8

Quick Reply: Highway riding