Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,287 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Default RE: Highway riding

ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

On the freeway I ride fast lane right wheel track been doin this for years. You don't have to worry about someone coming into you lane from the left, so by riding in the right hand wheel track it allows you to be seen much more easily by the slow lane. I also try and keep where I can see a face in there mirrors if I can.
Yup and I'll add I'm always moving up through the traffic not keeping pace or going slower.
I'd rather be passing than being passed.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I ride in the far left lane on the highway, I ride in the right track groove right where I can see the face of the driver in front of me in his side mirror. I think most people in cars, trucks, etc. look in the mirror when they are ready to change lanes,but are too busy to look over their left shoulder. I don't seem to have problems with people not seeing me and I am always "on guard". Ride Safe.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:05 PM
RandyNC
Tourer

It would be great if the DMV would make it part of your driving test ...thateveryone has to learn how to ride a motorcycle...

I admit that since I have been riding my bike, I have learn so much about looking for bikes.

When I first started driving, they have been times when I just didn't see a motorcycle. Maybe I wasn't looking for one...they don't teach you very much about motorcycles at the DMV.

You start learning about bikes when you start riding them, i'm sure we have many days that we question ourselfs about riding. But we love it.

All they really want is your money for the M on your DL.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Bluerose

I ride to work daily too. Even in mySUV I have been nearly run off the road several times by inattentive people. Today I got cut off by a woman that was in the wrong lane....she knew she was in the wrong lane and did it on purpose to save that 2 seconds drive time...it would not have mattered what I was driving.

I have seen my Hubby leading a group of 4 ridersalmost run of the road by a girl that was just zoning out. I watched and she never turned her head....She just came over on us.

Some days/weeks are just like that....Nothing you can do....That said:

I ride in the fast lane or HOV lane all the time riding in the fast lane...I stay in theright groove which is supposed to discourage lane sharing and I try to make sure I'm not ina blind spot. Like the others said make yourself as visible as possible safely. I have gone as far asyelling into the windowof a guy that never looked and started moving over on me in heavy traffic. Anything to focus thier attention to me. Remember you are invisible and do everything you can to be visible.

Ride Safe!!!!!

Old 07-26-2007, 10:52 AM
Weezie30
Tourer

Were you in Sacramento? Cause that's the norm here.

The one thing I did see today that was above and beyond just about scared the **** outta me today. I was in the fast lane, moving along at about 75 or 80 and I glanced in my review. On theshoulder of the road, passing the vehicles in the left lane is a Caddy doing at least 90. All I can think is that he's going to whip over in front of me and clip me or at the very least spray me with rocks and road debrie (sp?) from the shoulder. Thank goodness that I hadn't started to pass the vehicle to myright and slightly infront. I was able to slip in right behind him as the caddywhipped in the spot I had just vacated. It scared the heck out of me!

Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Twotonetom
6th Gear

This post is very helpful. I am having some problems riding on the highway. I'm coming back to riding after 20years. I was mainly a backroad rider in upstate NY. I now live and ride in NYC. To get upstate I have to deal with everyone trying to kill me. Moreover, my friends tell me I'm too slow. I have trouble keeping at 60mph in heavy traffic. Even on country highways at 70mph people still want to pass me. I bought a HOG because my fast day a gone. However, I believe that I need to move faster than everyone else if I want to LIVE. I need Help. My friends tell me I'm the Best Slow Rider. They think fear slows me down. I have a 07 lowrider with 2k on it. I hope it gets better I have moments on those backroads that feel great But going home tired on those highways I feel like selling the bike.

Thanks,

TOM
NYC

Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 AM
hdtwice
Road Master

Okay, slight thread thrift for humurous story.....
I have this buddy who used to always tell me how much he "used" to ride, and how he much he knows about motorcycles, etc. Well, one day he gets a bike and I want to take him for a tour of some great rideing places. He says sure and off we go. Everything seems fine on the surface streets, then....we get on the freeway.Right after getting on the freeway, I noticed he has this really tense look about him. You know, arms stiff, head totally straight and not moving at all, back locked straight. Right then, I knew his mouth had overloaded his *** and this was his first time on the freeway. I slowed us both down, got him to follow me to the next exit. After asking him if it was his first time on the freeway, he admited it and still had that shook up look. I laughed my *** off at him and have never let him forget it, that's what buddies do! Now he's a seasoned rider and good to go these days.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM
warthawg
Tourer

1. I’m always watching the traffic in the next lane over, if it slows down, they're coming over whether they see you or not.
2. I'm always planning an escape strategy.

Paranoid, you bet!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
gargoyle
Banned

Go to big lots and buy two or three chep 1 inch wrenchs and tape them under your gas tank when someone cuts you off just peel it off and flip it over your shoulder. if the cops stop you just say it must have came out you tool bag when you shifted lanes to miss them.[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 07-27-2007, 11:39 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had drivers cut me off and drive in my lane. Just do not what I do. I pass them and slow down to a stop. Put the kick stand and take care of bussiness. I tell you one thing the same driver will never pull in front of me any more. Theywill pull over when I'm coming down the highwayfrom now on.

Quick Reply: Highway riding