Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Keith_H
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Highway riding

It does seem that while the cages are at fault for missing you and moving over into you 3 times does make one wonder if youare doing something wrong.It sounds like you either had a bad week oryou are not making yourself visible enough. Going with the flow means you are not going by them much faster than they are going traveling. Maybe too much loiter time in their blind spot?Maybe accelerate more to get by them when you approach their back corner to side areas to avoid blind spots. Purely a guess. And as for the pipes, absolutely. If they can't see me they normally hear me and look for me.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:42 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

In my area the law states that the left lane is for passing ONLY. Mind you, most drivers ignore the law.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:48 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: detailer03

How long have you been riding?

You allowed yourself to get in that position. You were in THIER blind spot. Never let a car ride side by side with you. The left lane is not safe unless you are exceeding the speed of all other vehicles. People driving during rush hour are very busy talking on the phone and drinking coffee or what ever starbucks sells.

You must be defensive all the time. The right lane with merging traffic may be the place to be. At least you know what they are going to do.

I have been riding the roads for about 30 years. Don't allow yourself to be in the blind spot. No one in AZ seems to know what directional signals are.
Very good advice! Take it to heart and it will save u. ocassionally relaxing your guard can cost you big time. Spend the least amount of time in someone's blind spot. Always have an exit strategy, and never assume they see you.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Three times in one week? Try living here in SoCal...three times a day is about normal for me....and that's when I'm in my "white elephant"...a cement mixer. Here it's a matter of how much car can force itself in how small of a space.
.......not a good idea riding in the right hand lane as described. Okay if you're in it for a short while but not for long. Here it's drivers either cutting across two lanes to get off the freeway or driver's accelerating to cut off a car ahead of them to get on the freeway....all the while talking on the phone, putting on make-up, reading a newspaper, etc.
Here it's almost expected that on a daily basis someone is going to try to take your space away from you, either by accident (not seeing you) or on purpose (looking right at you and moving over or pretending not to see you and moving over).
When I'm in the fast lane I usually ride more towards the right part of the lane...that way I can see what's happening in both my lane and the lane beside me. I can also see a driver's mirror and their car movements and still have room in my lane to adjust for whatever stupid thing they decide to do. An extra six feet of lane before your're pushed into the center shoulder has saved me from going down in gravel or getting eaten up by a concrete barricade (common in CA where there IS NO shoulder on either side of freeway)
Just my .02 ......riding for 31 years....big trucks 26 years...

Old 07-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

On the freeway I ride fast lane right wheel track been doin this for years. You don't have to worry about someone coming into you lane from the left, so by riding in the right hand wheel track it allows you to be seen much more easily by the slow lane. I also try and keep where I can see a face in there mirrors if I can.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take my bike to work sometimes, but it is never fun along my route of travel. I firmly believe that there is no "safest lane" on a multi-lane highway. My right of way has been flagrantly violated in every one of them repeatedly. I find myself changing lanes depending on how things are shaping up at the time. Sometimes the left lane is fought over ground by every wet nosed make believe race driver in his or her candy a$$ hot rod. The center lane is sometimes crossfire country. And of course the right lane has those coming on and going off without bothering to engage their brains. So, take your pick. The lesser of the evils if you will. Which lane is the safest? The one with the fewest cars. Period.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:44 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

I would suggest taking the MSF basic riders course.
And you learned what from the course that you can contribute to the thread??

Thats what I thought. Nothing against the MSF course. Just the poster.

To everyone else...thanks for the input.

I guess its a crap shoot (except for the middle lane). I agree that I may have been in there blind spot (dosent excuse them for not checking there blind spot though). I agree that defensive driving is always the best.(Thats what kept me from being taken out).

Was just wondering how others rode on the highway to keep themselves safe.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best part was you flipping the guy off. That damages the image of all bikers. Didn't you get enough of that in high school? I don't care how thin the pancake is there are two sides. What had you done wrong? In Va. the left lane is for passing, seems like maybe slower cars or bikes should be in the far right lane.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Azgunner
Tourer

I expect cagers to TRY & run me over. What do you expect. I ride rush hour freeways everyday. I like it, it's fun. Nothing like the thrill of staying alive.

I never ride next to a car and as I pass am staying conscious of where they are. I also ride the fast lanes (farthest left lane) to stay out of merging traffic as much as possible. 1) it protects my left side & 2) less stop & go. When riding in the farthest left lane I almost always ride on the right 1/3 side of the lane closest to the cars in the next lane because it keeps me in their rear view mirror line of sight much longer. Also I change lane positions to give ME the advantage to see what is ahead & around me. I fully expect and prepare/plan for what could be or could happen.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

I dont think riding at the same speed that traffic is moving is wise at all no matter what lane your in. Most of the time I like to be riding a few miles an hour faster than the traffic, I change lanes often and ride my mirrors always looking for the safest position to be in. Back before the FAX machine came down the pike, I used to do messenger work on a Kz750 in the NY Metro area.....if anything will get you used to traveling safely in traffic that will!

Quick Reply: Highway riding