General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt drive and gravel roads

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:02 AM
kong79
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt drive and gravel roads

I asked this awhile back on the Sportster side, but I thought I would throw this out on the general forum. I'm looking at purchasing a Sportster to ride to work. I currently ride a Kawa KLR 650 dualsport which is almost perfect for the 7 miles of blacktop and 3 miles of gravel road each way to work. Would you ride your Harley on a gravel road everyday, and has anyone had problems with their belt drive sucking up rocks and tearing it up? I don't have the room in my garage for two bikes and don't have time to ride both so keeping the KLR and buying a Sportster is not an option. Thanks for any responses.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:22 AM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Belt drive and gravel roads

I've been on quite a few gravel roads and havn't had any trouble with my belt. They are specifically designed to be able to take a rock pushed through them and still hold. If you are really concerned about it you can buy aspare belt kit that is a split belt that you can easily install on the side of the road that will get you home or to the dealer...

RE

Old 07-25-2007, 08:29 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The KLR and the Sportster are two totally different bikes. If the bike you have now is "perfect" for the task you've answered your own question!!

Personally I wouldn't subject my Harley to gravel roads on a regular basis. That includes the concern for a rock/stone getting in the belt.

Old 07-25-2007, 08:47 AM
mkultra
Tourer

I ride a mile each way on dirt going to work and coming home and have never had a problem. Now thats not to say i never will but it is not a real concern i have. I see a lot of people riding with open primarys and have asked a few if they ever had problems and the most common answer was it chewed up the left pant leg at times. If this is a deciding factor in your purchase i would not worry about it.

mike

Old 07-25-2007, 09:03 AM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I grew up on gravel roads and wouldn't want to drive my Harely on them, but given the choice of no Harley! Drive slow enough to avoid throwing rocks up and a lot of dust. I would suggest buying stock in your favorite cleaners, because your bikes gonna need a bath daily.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:16 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride over 2 miles each way to hit chip road , never had a problem , no worries my friend , you'll be fine

Old 07-25-2007, 09:18 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

While I know that it happens I just never worried about it. My drive is 1/4 mile of iron ore gravel, and I regularly ride on a couple dirt roads. I s'pose that someday I'll damage a belt, but it ain't happened yet.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:22 AM
sixpointbull
3rd Gear

I run 3 miles of gravel each way everyday, no problems so far. The bike doesn't kick up that much dust and gravel- it does get dirty/dusty but not nearly as bad as you might think. Street tires aren't exactly rock throwers- I suppose if you put a set of knobbies on you might have an issue then.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:03 AM
kong79
Advanced

Hey Whaap, your right, they are two totally different bikes and the KLR is just about perfect for the type of riding I do, but lust has reared it's ugly head. I started riding when I was 15 and I'm 47 now and with the exception of a ten year break, I've had one bike or another continuously. I've lusted after a Sportster since the first time I walked into a Harley shop when I was 21. I bought the KLR with dreams of some "adventure" trips and camping but due to work and a busy home life, it aint happen'n. In fact I rarely get out to ride except to work. So the Sportster would work for the kind of riding I'm doing now. I've just heard some horror stories about the belt drive so that's why I'm asking.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:08 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I understand. I have the 1200 C. They are great bikes. If you want one bad and are willing to take it nice and easy on dirt and gravel, why not. I'll bet you wont be happy till you get one. Good luck and, by the way, welcome from Tucson.

Quick Reply: Belt drive and gravel roads