General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use Wiley-X Eyewear?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Urban Coyote
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Wiley-X Eyewear?

I was looking at the Wiley-X line of motorcyle glasses and goggles and want to know what lense color would be excellent for both night-time and bright Arizona sun daytime riding. Or is having two pair or exchangable lenses better, one for daytime and one for nighttime?

Are the light adjusting lenses good for all day and night driving?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Anyone use Wiley-X Eyewear?

i use them, in the day i use the tinned ones and at night i change them out. they are great in the rain they dont fog. i used them in iraq for a year and loved them awesome in a sand storm. the removable head band in great.
my wife uses bobsters with yellow lens which she likes and never has to change them. they dont fog either in the rain.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:01 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine with the light adjusting lenses. They don't get as dark as I'd like on really suuny days. I picked up a set of dark green and clear lenses from ebay for $15.00 for the two sets. I keep all of them in my bag. When it's really dark there's nothing better than clear lenses. Love the glasses though. Wiley-X SG-1.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:31 AM
Megalomania
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is important to you that the lenses be dark, you probably won't be satisfied with the light adjusting lenses. I have used the SG-1s in Iraq and wear the JP-2s on the bike. They're good. I wasn't satisfied with their ability to keep debris out of my eye though - I'm a contact wearer. I'm waiting on a pair of Panoptix to arrive in my mailbox.

P.S. I disagree that they don't fog. They do fog.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:24 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I wear the Wiley X SG-1 with prescription lenses. They do fog up reallyquick if you are stopped, but clear up really quick with a little breeze in your face. I have only the clear lenses but apparently my eyes ane not very sensitive to brite sun because I don't even own any sunglasses and my eyes never bother me when riding, golfing, or fishing, no matter how brite the sun is.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:46 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup agree with the comments above. Light adjusting do not really get dark enough and they will fog but clear quickly when moving. Also, gaskets do not seal tightly anddust does get in. That said, I still like the glasses because none of those flaws are deal breakers for me and I do like the light adjusting lens. My wife rides with Panoptics and they do seal better but are significantly more expensive.
One more thing, Wiley does stand behind their product, the first pair I bought had a lens that liked to pop out. Wiley quickly took that pair back and replaced with a new pair with an upgraded lens that got a touch darker than the pair I had (at least that is what they told me). Had me new pair within just a few days time.

Mark

Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought two pairs of WileyX SG-1's on ebay for $35 a pair brand new. They came with clear and smoke lenses. So I have two pairs of glasses, one for day and one for night, and two extra sets of lenses. Which after a year have no scratches at all. The ones I bought have the newer style lenses that are vented. They do fog when it's hot and I'm not moviing. But clear up quick. Any pair of glasses that is sealed around the eye is going to fog a little.

I originally was looking at the light adjusting. But the dark wasn't dark enough and the clear wasn't 100% clear.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:28 AM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear their JP-2 glasses with polorized lenses during the day and a pair of HD glasses with yellow lenses for night.
Tried the lenses that adjust, but they never got dark enough for me.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Royce
Stellar HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a pair of the Romer II's, not sure if they still make them, but they're great, especially down here in the South Texas summer sun. Oh wait, we haven't had that in weeks. Seriously, the Wiley-X's are great. Mine have the interchangeable yellow and clear lenses. I used to swap them out depending on the riding conditions, but found that to be a PIA after a while. A fellow rider recommended just going by Lowes or Home Depot or pick a home-building type store and buy a pair of clear safety glasses. That was my solution and they work great. They're a lot cheaper than the Wileysand I keep them in a cheap fabric glasses case in my tool bag so that I have them in low light conditions, i.e. early morning, late evening, rain. The advantages are the above mentioned cheap; they're designed to protect your eyes from flying debris, perfect for the bike; and usually come in wrap around styles similar to the Wileys.

Good luck,
Royce

Old 07-25-2007, 07:55 AM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to use WIleyX, but the frames were a little tight and would give me headaches. I also didn't like how the foam padding wouldn't let any air in.

Now, I use Body Spex Eyewear

Quick Reply: Anyone use Wiley-X Eyewear?