General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire change at Sturgis ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tire change at Sturgis ?

I'm about 2,000 kms from needing a new back tire. If I wait til I'm in the States it will be cheaper. the last one was at xmas here in Canada. I took the tire off the bike and brought it to the Indy. the tire, mounting and balancing, and servicing the bearings, with new axle seals it was $390 CDN. I'm sure I can save some coin, but, wondering if it is a big hassle at Sturgis, or should I stop at a Stealer on the way though MI, WI, MN or SD.
Who has experience with this?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:24 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts
Default RE: Tire change at Sturgis ?

My buddy got a new rear tire last year at Sturgis and ended up saving a few bucks over what it would have cost locally. Couldn't tell you exactly where, but it was an OEM tire. He said it was right in and right out, quick service.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen several vendors set up to do tire changes at Sturgis. I have not needed their services but may this year. As long as you keep a watchful eye to make sure there are no shortcuts, you should be OK. Otherwise get it done at a dealer at least 200 miles or more out from Sturgis. (less traffic)

Old 07-24-2007, 07:27 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my buddy was gonna have that done when we went Americade,,, he said forget it,, about $70 more there than at home?!

Old 07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have seen a Metzler truck at rallies. They usually have a great deal if you buy both tires from them.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 PM
2kflhr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good personal friend and an occasional riding buddy of mine Eddie Ellis owns a reputable indy shop called Easy Eddies Motorcycles near me www.easyeddiesmc.com he travels to Sturgis, Myrtle Beach, Laconia, and etc.yearly to mainly sell Metzeler tires (discounted),this year he will be at http://www.sturgiscountyline.net/ if you or a friendneed help while there give him a call on his cell (Nextel) at704-400-3612. Tell him, that "Hudson boy with the black RK sent ya!"

Old 07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Unless you plan on spending most of your Sturgis time hanging around a dealer, do not plan on getting it done at a HD Dealer in the Sturgis area. I spent about 45 minutes in line at the Rapid City shop just getting the oil and filter I needed to do my own oil change. I then waited 30 minutes to get a spot to do my oil change in the oil change area that Rapid City HDhas for individuals to do oil changes.

Friend of mine had to get a tire replaced in Billings, Mt. during the HOG National Rally last year. Took him most of the day to get the job done, and they weren't near as busy as dealers in Sturgis will be.

Independent places might be quicker, but you might spend time looking for a good one.

Bill

Old 07-24-2007, 08:18 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For the right amount of money you can get ANYTHING done at Sturgis and the more you pay the faster you can get it done. I'm sure there are cheaper places that will be out there but trying to find them might take you a day in itself.

My advice would be to figure out what places you are going through that havea stealer if it is an OEM you want and if you want them to do the work and just take a couple hours out of the trip out to get it done. I'm sure if you tell us all what roads you are taking we will give you plenty of ideas on good trusty dealerships along the way.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:09 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think alot of these people have never been to rallies. Their are mobile oil change places as well as tire change places that set up at all the rallies. Mostly WAY cheaper then at any dealer. You can get OEM tiresfrom different vendors who will even mount them up for you....

Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Stop in MN is my vote!

Quick Reply: Tire change at Sturgis ?