General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here have a chopper-now or ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 04:13 PM
hogdad
|
Road Captain
Default Anyone here have a chopper-now or ever

Just curious if you have or everhad a chopper. I mean a real raked out attention getting one not a bobber- which is also nice but not what I'm talking about. How is it to ride and live with these if they are soft tails? I could never get a hardtail my back has issues and I'm in my mid forties. But I have come to the conclusion that I just have to own one of these even for just a year or so to experience quite frankly the attention it gets at shows and the raw burnout power of say an S and S 110 with a 250 rear tire. I mean like an Ironhorse or something like that. It will be used for sure- I see how they depriciate something awful and there are lots of bikes onlya couple of years old for near half the new ones cost.HeckI found a nice 05 with air ride rearsuspension- which costs a bundle, great colors and paint, low miles and a photo history with a major major exhaust manufacturer - asking 19,900- no takers so could be had for closer 18000 I'd bet. New it had to be over 35000.Yeah its radically different than my 05 Black Electra Glide Classic but when I'm done with the chopper I'll sell it and a Black EG isn't exactly hard to find. I just wonder about reselling it though, that could be the major downfall assuming its built well of course. Anyway my question is how do they ride? I mean I know its not a knee dragger but will I still be able to get lost on paved back roads without feeling like I'm working too hard just to make a turn?? Anyone with real ownership experience???Whattaya think guys?????????

Old 07-23-2007 | 05:26 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Default RE: Anyone here have a chopper-now or ever

I had one I built and miss it big time.
She was 12.5' long, all black with a red scorpion on the slender tank.
Springer front end with multiple Maltese lights going up the forks in the center.
Hard tail. Once you ride one you get used to it quick and learn to prefer that ride.

Only problems I consistently had with the bikewere:
[ol][*]Braking in turns or down hills.[*]High speed front wheel hop.[/ol]

Old 07-23-2007 | 06:18 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

first Harley I ever had, back in 1976, when I was 20 yrs old, was a chopper.

Raked, and with a 12" over springer front end, narrow pull backs, king and queen seat, etc.

Quite frankly, it was neither comfortable on a long ride, or easy to handle at low speeds, and you didn't just do a quick turn around inthe road if you missed a turn.

To be sure, I haven't wanted another chopper since then.

Old 07-23-2007 | 06:21 PM
hogdad
|
Road Captain

Wow just 1 reply.I guessI don't know where to go for information on this one except to ask a few people who owna chopperthat is currently not for sale. I would imagine though that it would be a short lived love affair and it has to be a softail even for that.Then again most of them have killer engines which are entertaining(have you ever done a burnout on a 250 rear tire,looks like a blast to me)and are nice to look at in your garage when having a beer or 6 with maybe a quality cigar and some good tunes playing.....Ah life is sweet. I do know how I am though and once the bug bites the action is usually not far behind,but I really really like the Electra Glide ClassicI have now so we shall see. I mean 1 ride on the right or wrong chopper could pretty much make it a quick yay or naydecision.

Old 07-23-2007 | 06:22 PM
hogdad
|
Road Captain

Make it 2 replies with the Vonzipppppppperrrr-- love that name dude.

Old 07-23-2007 | 06:34 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

If you remember Von Zipper, you must not be a spring chicken yourself.

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:22 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

First bike was a XLCH with neck kicked out 7/8" and 15" over tubes.

Next was same motor in a rigid frame 35 degree rake, 10" over girder, & later 8" over tubes.

Both bikes were set up to sit level.

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:26 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior

I built one back around 1970, when I was in my early 20s, hard tail extended forks, peanut tank, all the popular chopper stuff. Very ill handling and unconfortable ride. Looks cool, but not good for any kind of a long ride.

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:42 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

Like this one......they are rideable, if they are RIGHT SIDE DRIVE, and I wouldnt get anything over a 250 tire, the bike in my sig is a 330, and you have to push it pretty hard into the turns......but hey, it's my town bike.....

Old 07-23-2007 | 07:47 PM
surv1
Road Warrior

I've built several....a '75 ironhead Sportster in a rigid frame, 12" over wide springer with Invader wheels, then a 51 rigid framed Panhead, 6" over wide springer. then there was my Harmon rigid drag framed Dyna, 8" over wideglide frontend. Those were the days.......

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a chopper-now or ever