General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here have a chopper-now or ever

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:04 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Default RE: Anyone here have a chopper-now or ever

Last one I built was about 20 years ago..............Santee Double Eagle ridgid frame, 18 over Paughco narrow springer.............21" Spool wheel, 16" rear................forget the rake. With the right combination of components, they can be fairly comfortable...........at least on the front seat! LOL. Took some experimenting, I think I tried 3 different springers, at least 4 different seats............even different tires affect everything! Mid 50's now, spoiled rotten with the new EGC with the air suspension, fuel inj and tunes and on and on! Don't think I'll ever go back. But I would love to have another one, just to play with from time to time. And I agree with you, it really is something everyone should try at least once! The day is fast approaching when these bikes will not exist anymore! I am not fond of these new mass produced "cookie cutter" overpriced ridiculous looking things that are churned out by all the big name "builders" of today! I think if you're gonna have one, you really should build it yourself in your own backyard! Ground up.........motor and all! But hey, just like everyone else's opinion, there's an orifice to match mine too!

Troll

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:39 PM
nomad billy
Ultimate HDF Member

started early i guess built my first out of a stock knuckle [wish i had it back] 68 was a bear got almost everything wrong ,couldnt turn around ina kroger parking lot. next was 56 pan that one was just about right, girder front 12 over half inch rake rode it every where. find a cheap or wrecked softail and build one they are great rides . dont forget brakes on both ends u really freak people out coasting back on a hil with a foot clutch to bump there front bumper so u can get it back in gear

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:52 PM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: EricVonZipper

first Harley I ever had, back in 1976, when I was 20 yrs old, was a chopper.

Raked, and with a 12" over springer front end, narrow pull backs, king and queen seat, etc.

Quite frankly, it was neither comfortable on a long ride, or easy to handle at low speeds, and you didn't just do a quick turn around inthe road if you missed a turn.

To be sure, I haven't wanted another chopper since then.
My last ricer was a 1973 CB750 motor in a bike that sounded a lot like that - that 70's style chopper with a peanut tank. I bought her in 1978, sold her to the bouncer at the local rock and roll bar in1979 and bought a 1975 Sportster XLCH with a bad rake job and 8" over tubes ( I tore it down that first winter and got rid of the long front end). You couldn't make a U-turn on a 4-lane road with that 12" over front end, but it was real nice on the highway.

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:53 PM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member

You bet, Ive still got it and would never sell it.

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:55 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

hehhehh. I hear you Billy. Back when I was young, if I ever would have bought a service manual, it wasbound to tell me what NOT to do, after I'd already done it. When that happens, well, it generallysucks.

Old 07-23-2007 | 09:58 PM
RandyNC
Tourer

Friend of mine has a big dog K9...Handles good with two up or solo, not to bad in the turns, think it's a 250 rear tire, right hand drive. He and his wife love it. She said it rides as good as their street glide, advice from a passenger.

Old 07-24-2007 | 09:26 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

does any of this count ? wchc meet 2007 this is where I spent this last weekend

Old 07-24-2007 | 09:32 AM
gliderider
Cruiser

1965 Triumph TR6, in the late '70's. 4"-stretch Santee hardtail, 6 or 8 over front end (I forget), rattle-can flat black, Z-bars, aftermarket sporty seat, peanut tank, no front brake, 20-inch seat height.

I loved that bike.

Old 07-24-2007 | 10:28 AM
dmlong
Tourer

I've got an '06Big Dog Ridgeback. Its a 300 rear tire rigid with an S&S 117,it rides pretty decent,no problems turning and tons of power. Picked it up on a end of year sale last October for 22K.

Old 07-24-2007 | 11:06 AM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

Had an Amen framed hardtail trumpet back in the day. The tire technology made that rig a NIGHTMARE to lean... It was a fun bike, but it beat me to death, and usually did something every time I rode it to either scare the chit outta me, or reallly pizz me off. Having rode a few Big Dogs, I gotta say, Big Dog does chopper's right. Everything works, and they are a blast to ride. Too much attention for me, personally, they always draw a crowd. If I was gonna pull the trigger on a chopper, I would buy a Big Dog.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have a chopper-now or ever