General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reduced Reach Levers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:24 AM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,225 Likes on 3,756 Posts
Default Reduced Reach Levers

Just installed a set of heated grips on my wife's Sportster. They are quite a bit fatter than stock and her small hands barely reach the brake and clutch levers. Anyone have any experience with reduced reach or adjustable levers, and do they equate to reduced pull/travel, will the clutch still fully release?

Thanks, Jim

Old 05-17-2020, 11:10 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,763 Likes on 3,119 Posts

RSD levers. Adjustment may be crucial.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:35 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,577 Likes on 10,773 Posts

I would suggest putting her on a body stretcher machine like this one.

1. She is apt to really like it.
2. Being married to you it is sooooo less painful.
3. You are welcome.
4. Anything else I can help you with? (Excluding for me to nvr reply to any of your posts again.)

Peeeeoooooooowwww..........

Old 05-17-2020, 02:37 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 802 Likes on 500 Posts

I have small hands and the clutch was a bear to operate on my '19 SGS with hydraulic clutch . I have ISO grips installed and they are considerably fatter than stock. The Softbrake reduced reach lever helped me a lot to be able to control the clutch friction zone and there is no problem with the fatter grips.

I beleive the Sporty has a mechanical cable clutch like I had on my '18 Heritage, but the grips are the same, so there should be no problem with operation.

I have not switched to a reduced reach lever on the brake side, but have considered it. For some reason, operating the brake is not as much of a problem as the clutch lever was, but I'm confident it would make even operating the brake lever eaiser.

Doing the Softbrake lever swap makes the cost for reduced reach levers a reasonable choice. https://softbrake.com/

Old 05-17-2020, 04:30 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,329 Likes on 1,454 Posts

Some fairly inexpensive bikes come with adjustable hand levers and heated grips; my BMW has them. It's part of a bike's ergonomics. I'm sorry I don't have any good recommendations for your wife's Sporty, other than to maybe trade it in for a bike that really fits her.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:34 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 3,207 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I had a set of the Kuryakan Adjustable Boss Blades on my old 1997 Sportster. I wish I could have taken them off and put them on my 2006 but they are different.

I still may get another set for it. I really liked them. I also had the replacement clutch ramp thingy that reduced the clutch pull.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:44 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
RSD levers. Adjustment may be crucial.
$350? Yowsa

Old 05-17-2020, 05:44 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I have small hands and the clutch was a bear to operate on my '19 SGS with hydraulic clutch . I have ISO grips installed and they are considerably fatter than stock. The Softbrake reduced reach lever helped me a lot to be able to control the clutch friction zone and there is no problem with the fatter grips.

I beleive the Sporty has a mechanical cable clutch like I had on my '18 Heritage, but the grips are the same, so there should be no problem with operation.

I have not switched to a reduced reach lever on the brake side, but have considered it. For some reason, operating the brake is not as much of a problem as the clutch lever was, but I'm confident it would make even operating the brake lever eaiser.

Doing the Softbrake lever swap makes the cost for reduced reach levers a reasonable choice. https://softbrake.com/
Not available for 2006 Sportster

Old 05-17-2020, 05:47 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
I had a set of the Kuryakan Adjustable Boss Blades on my old 1997 Sportster. I wish I could have taken them off and put them on my 2006 but they are different.

I still may get another set for it. I really liked them. I also had the replacement clutch ramp thingy that reduced the clutch pull.
Not available for 2006 Sportster

Old 05-17-2020, 05:54 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

Soft brake levers go on all my bikes first mod I do.

Quick Reply: Reduced Reach Levers