General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Fob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020 | 07:31 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by barneyboy
Service mode is exited/disabled by turning the ignition switch to ignition. The OP has been riding the bike.
Your thinking of "Transport" mode. That is different than "Service" mode.

Originally Posted by piasspj
My older bikes 2005, 2006 0without the optional security system still had fobs. Push a button to arm or disarm.
My 2008 Ultra (also without the optional security system) has a fob that has to be near the bike.
Without the fob (or security code) the biek won't start and the signals flash if you try and move it.

From my understanding the optional security system is just an audible alarm.
If that 2008 had a FOB, then it had the factory security. The proximity FOB will disable the security system when close, which allows the bike to start.
You can bypass the FOB by using the PIN override code, that can be set by the owner.
The audible siren is an "option" that can be added to the factory security. The siren does just as it sounds. Without the siren, you see the turn signals flashing, but no noise.

Originally Posted by Vernal
Sounds to me like all your bikes had security, it’s the siren or audible alarm that is an option you can add to the security’.

Old 05-06-2020 | 07:32 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I looked up the 2016 SG (not the Special) and what I found is the security system (the one where you got a fob or fobs, the one where you had to have a fob near the bike to start it, the one if you tried to move it the lights would start flashing) was not standard from the factory. So, unless it was added at the dealer or installed later, the OP's SG does not have the security system. The audible alarm, the one that makes noise when you move the bike without the fob close by, was an additional system separate from the security system.

If the OP can start his bike without a fob or without entering the pin, which he says he can, the bike has no security system, either from the factory or a dealer installed security system.

Old 05-06-2020 | 08:46 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I looked up the 2016 SG (not the Special) and what I found is the security system (the one where you got a fob or fobs, the one where you had to have a fob near the bike to start it, the one if you tried to move it the lights would start flashing) was not standard from the factory. So, unless it was added at the dealer or installed later, the OP's SG does not have the security system. The audible alarm, the one that makes noise when you move the bike without the fob close by, was an additional system separate from the security system.

If the OP can start his bike without a fob or without entering the pin, which he says he can, the bike has no security system, either from the factory or a dealer installed security system.
The bolded statement is correct. Some bikes were equipped with it on the assembly line, however and the additional charge for it was shown on the price tag (similar to ABS).

Old 05-07-2020 | 09:20 AM
Vernal
Club Member

Pull the seat and look for the Security Antenna #9 in the diagram. I think it's just forward of the ECM.

https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...UIT%20BREAKERS