General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key and Fob question

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020 | 01:29 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Easy enough to tell if the bike has the security system.
Just to the right of the needle in the speedometer, there is a little circle. It will blink "red" every few seconds if the bike's security system is armed.

On a '16 touring model (if it has factory security), the system will "arm itself" within a few seconds of shutting the bike off and not moving it.

If your bike is sitting still and you don't see that red light on the speedometer blinking, they you likely don't have the factory security system.
As Hlgsn1 mentioned, it was an option on some of the touring bikes like the normal Street Glide.

So, without the security system you won't have or need a FOB.
All the key does is lock/unlock the ignition switch, forks, and saddlebags.

Edit: If you do see that little "red" light blinking on the speedometer gauge, and you are just able to start the bike without any trouble, then you have a FOB hidden on the bike somewhere.

Last edited by RollaMo; 05-05-2020 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (05-06-2020)
Old 05-05-2020 | 01:48 PM
tajar66
Tourer

Just make sure your insurance is up to date. If someone wants it the security feature wont stop them anyway.

Old 05-06-2020 | 11:31 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member

I went through this on my 2007 CVO last year. It was dropped off for some maintenance and had sat at the dealer for 8 years. They didn't have the keys or the fob, but I was able to start and ride the bike and rode it home. What they did was disconnect the alarm and they ordered me a new set of keys off the VIN. I have since purchased a new fob (as all CVO's come with an alarm) and had them install new batteries in the alarm and siren and reactivate the alarm and all is good to go. Good luck on your new Bike....

Old 05-06-2020 | 01:08 PM
shodown220
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MCSarge
I went through this on my 2007 CVO last year. It was dropped off for some maintenance and had sat at the dealer for 8 years. They didn't have the keys or the fob, but I was able to start and ride the bike and rode it home. What they did was disconnect the alarm and they ordered me a new set of keys off the VIN. I have since purchased a new fob (as all CVO's come with an alarm) and had them install new batteries in the alarm and siren and reactivate the alarm and all is good to go. Good luck on your new Bike....
I'm confused, you dropped the bike off for 8 years or someone else did and then the dealer sold it to you? Who lets a bike sit at a dealer for 8 years? I know it takes awhile to get parts from harley but 8 years seems excessive

Old 05-06-2020 | 03:27 PM
Zebrex
Cruiser

if it has security it could be in service mode

Old 05-06-2020 | 04:10 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Better security than a fob.....

Old 05-06-2020 | 04:45 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zebrex
if it has security it could be in service mode
Service mode is exited/disabled by turning the ignition switch to ignition. The OP has been riding the bike.

Old 05-06-2020 | 06:04 PM
Vernal
Club Member

You can go to this site and enter your VIN and see if the bike came with security: https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/

If it did I've heard people on here say they had the dealer disable it, your dealer could enable it and marry a fob to it if it is already on the bike.

Old 05-06-2020 | 06:47 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

My older bikes 2005, 2006 0without the optional security system still had fobs. Push a button to arm or disarm.
My 2008 Ultra (also without the optional security system) has a fob that has to be near the bike.
Without the fob (or security code) the biek won't start and the signals flash if you try and move it.

From my understanding the optional security system is just an audible alarm.

Old 05-06-2020 | 07:03 PM
Vernal
Club Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
My older bikes 2005, 2006 0without the optional security system still had fobs. Push a button to arm or disarm.
My 2008 Ultra (also without the optional security system) has a fob that has to be near the bike.
Without the fob (or security code) the biek won't start and the signals flash if you try and move it.

From my understanding the optional security system is just an audible alarm.
Sounds to me like all your bikes had security, it’s the siren or audible alarm that is an option you can add to the security’.

Quick Reply: Key and Fob question