General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Central Hydraulics lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020 | 03:39 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
As I remember, a Dyna has a strange bottom design that will not sit on a level jack frame.
My b-i-l had one and he had a friend make a "jig" (hope that's the correct description) that sat on the jack and the bike sat on/in the jig.

FWIW, I have the lift table (that I've modified with a upgraded front tire fixture, tie-downs and elevated floor boards.
It does take up a lot of room but it works well.

Yes, this! The Dyna's frame bars on the underside of the bike aren't even. Do they sell an adapter to have the bike sit level?

Old 04-30-2020 | 04:03 PM
Bluesrider.df
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by rauchman
Yes, this! The Dyna's frame bars on the underside of the bike aren't even. Do they sell an adapter to have the bike sit level?
The arms on the lift need to be 13" wide (iside width) in order to lift the Dyna's weird frame. I modded my cheapie Harbor Freight lift to make it wider. The jack I posted in the first post is 13" wide, and should work for the Dyna as is.

Old 04-30-2020 | 10:42 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member

Here's the one I have. I keep the bike in a storage unit. I use the jack to lift the tires about an inch, and spin it around 180 degrees so I can ride out of the storage unit rather than backing out & down a gravel bank right outside the door. Never had a problem with it.

Old 05-01-2020 | 07:38 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
As I remember, a Dyna has a strange bottom design that will not sit on a level jack frame.
My b-i-l had one and he had a friend make a "jig" (hope that's the correct description) that sat on the jack and the bike sat on/in the jig.

FWIW, I have the lift table (that I've modified with a upgraded front tire fixture, tie-downs and elevated floor boards.
It does take up a lot of room but it works well.
Yep the Dyna has a flat bar on one side of the frame that will not let it sit level on most jacks. HD has an adapter that that supposedly solves that https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...ft-adapter-kit

When I was jack shopping years ago It seems like Pit Bull made a jack or an adapter for their jacks that would work with Dynas, J&S Jacks have their lift arms spaced wide enough that they are compatible with Dynas.
I went with the J&S 6 years ago and it works perfect for both my Wide Glide and Road Glide Ultra. Super stable and I never use straps

Old 05-01-2020 | 04:16 PM
Idiocracy
Cruiser
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have the one in question. its strong enough to hold up the electraglide, so thats good. stores reasonable easy if you are pressed for space. I don't hate it but because it keeps proving capable of doing what I need it to. I would rather have a table though.

Old 05-02-2020 | 09:00 AM
Bluesrider.df
|
Grand HDF Member

I'm probably going to buy one of the Hi Lift jacks in the first post when I get around to it. I'm using a cheapie Harbor Freight jack which I modded so it would fit my Dyna. I've always been a little leery of this style jack, even when lifting my Sportster. After reading the reviews and looking at the pics of the Hi Lift, I think it would be a great upgrade in terms of stability and ease of use. Others are using it with the Dyna, which is what I was looking for. I'm not willing to drop $500 on a J&S, or more on a Pitbull, for something I use once every month or 2.

Old 05-02-2020 | 09:32 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I'm probably going to buy one of the Hi Lift jacks in the first post when I get around to it. I'm using a cheapie Harbor Freight jack which I modded so it would fit my Dyna. I've always been a little leery of this style jack, even when lifting my Sportster. After reading the reviews and looking at the pics of the Hi Lift, I think it would be a great upgrade in terms of stability and ease of use. Others are using it with the Dyna, which is what I was looking for. I'm not willing to drop $500 on a J&S, or more on a Pitbull, for something I use once every month or 2.
If you're looking for more stability:
https://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...e-dolly-p-1248

The price went up 50% since I bought mine, but knowing what I know I would have paid $150 for it.

Here's a link to my review.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ly-review.html