General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight Central Hydraulics lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020 | 09:10 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

As I remember, a Dyna has a strange bottom design that will not sit on a level jack frame.
My b-i-l had one and he had a friend make a "jig" (hope that's the correct description) that sat on the jack and the bike sat on/in the jig.

FWIW, I have the lift table (that I've modified with a upgraded front tire fixture, tie-downs and elevated floor boards.
It does take up a lot of room but it works well.

Old 04-28-2020 | 11:21 PM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member

I considered the HF lift table but passed since I really don't have room for it. The OP's lift does look awful "busy" and like it would be in the way. I did buy the HF motorcycle lift, the nicer one for $179 versus the $99 one, as it seems much better made. Of course, I bought it on sale and/or with coupons, for less.

$179 lift: https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-63397.html

Old 04-29-2020 | 03:38 AM
BluesStringer
Road Master
Veteran: Army

There's like a hundred or more reviews at the link in the OP and quite a few of them uploaded pictures that give you a pretty good idea about access etc. The average review score is at a 4.3 out of five. I don't think I've ever seen a higher score for a HF piece of equipment before. I didn't read many of the reviews, was just scrolling for the most part looking for pictures, but I read a few while doing it, and the shorter ones were saying things like, "Just what I needed!" and "Works great!" and stuff like that.

I'd love to get a lift, but I'm happy that my garage allows my bike and one full-sized SUV and a more compact SUV inside. No way a lift would fit too.

That's all I got.

Blues

Old 04-29-2020 | 07:58 AM
greggreen
Cruiser

I have one of those HF side lifts. Used it on a Electra Glide. Was a little wobbly but did the job. Works on a Dyna too. Lifts pretty high. Side access can be an issue depending on the job. You can’t roll the lift around with a bike on it. I also have a J&S Jack. Haven’t used the HF jack since I got the J&S.

Last edited by greggreen; 04-29-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-29-2020 | 12:17 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BluesStringer
There's like a hundred or more reviews at the link in the OP and quite a few of them uploaded pictures that give you a pretty good idea about access etc. The average review score is at a 4.3 out of five. I don't think I've ever seen a higher score for a HF piece of equipment before. I didn't read many of the reviews, was just scrolling for the most part looking for pictures, but I read a few while doing it, and the shorter ones were saying things like, "Just what I needed!" and "Works great!" and stuff like that.

I'd love to get a lift, but I'm happy that my garage allows my bike and one full-sized SUV and a more compact SUV inside. No way a lift would fit too.

That's all I got.

Blues
Position the lift under one of your vehicles and park right over it. You probably don't have to deal with winter road salt dripping off of your vehicles.

The following users liked this post:
BluesStringer (05-03-2020)
Old 04-29-2020 | 05:56 PM
VAFish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
I stayed away from that one because of all the crap going on on one side......too much in the way......went with this one....https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-l...ift-60536.html

I have that same lift. Works great on my Sportsters and Dynas.

By the time you lift the bike up 16" on the lift it is plenty comfortable to work on sitting on a stool. I can't imagine needing to lift a bike 30"

Old 04-29-2020 | 11:05 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Had for many years. and used it for up to an Ultra Classic. now store a Ulysses on it now that I no longer ride.

Old 04-30-2020 | 12:19 AM
BarnFly
Intermediate

Bought that lift years ago. The most I put on it was about 900lbs and it did fine. But as previously stated, it can be a little wobbly, and you can only access one side at a time. I never felt safe with it so I made cribbage out of 4x4's to help hold the load. One of the biggest problems I found with functionality was that it extends away from you then eventually lifts so the lack of wheels to move it into the correct position as you raise it was a pain in the ***. Only thing I use it for now is to transfer heavy **** from my truck to the shop floor so I still need it, just not for the intended purpose.

BelchFire (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 06:04 AM
pfnork66
Cruiser

I bought one five years ago for my Street Glide. It works fine with the exception of the right side access. I used a ratchet strap on the top side (seat area) as insurance. Used the lift to store the SG for five months in the winter.

Last year I bought the HF table lift and use it every day, love it! The original lift is now only used outside to wash the bikes. Works great for cleaning the wheels!

fxdup (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020 | 12:47 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by VAFish
I have that same lift. Works great on my Sportsters and Dynas.

By the time you lift the bike up 16" on the lift it is plenty comfortable to work on sitting on a stool. I can't imagine needing to lift a bike 30"
Wrenching from a sitting position is kind of a PITA. The early model Handy lifts elevated to 30"; the newer ones elevate to 39".

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight Central Hydraulics lift