Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intercoms

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Intercoms

Looking at picking up an inexpensive set so the wife can talk to me....yay!...lol while we are on road. Was looking at the cheap one J & P sells just to get started, and if we like them I might get a more sophisticated (expensive)one. Anyone tried one of those cheapies and/or any good advice on getting one without mortaging the farm? This trip is already costing me plenty...lol

Mike

Old 07-21-2007, 01:36 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Intercoms

Yes, in particular, I recommend buying the unit that the Ultra Classic comes equipped with. Of course...you'll have to buy an Ultra Classic to get it, but it's mere pocket change for a man of your means. Or so I hear.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tda69

Yes, in particular, I recommend buying the unit that the Ultra Classic comes equipped with. Of course...you'll have to buy an Ultra Classic to get it, but it's mere pocket change for a man of your means. Or so I hear.
HUH!!!! lol, oh yehhhh, lol I'll just run out and buy one...or maybe three

Old 07-21-2007, 05:06 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Old 07-21-2007, 08:31 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought the one you're talking about from J&P and it was junk. Save your money and do it right. to get one that actually works you'll have to spend the $ to do it. There ain't really any cheap way to do it.

I finally got the intercom "only" system from J&M for my WG. the small control box is inside one of my saddle bags with the volume/on-off switch velcro's to the outside of the bag. Works great at all speeds.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:58 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

thanks for the heads up

Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I went with the Autocomm and it is great. Music is tied in and the cell phone. From what callers tell me it is very clear with the noise cancelling mike. The wife and I love this purchase.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 AM
Bigdee183
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also went with Autocom. It works great. I hard wired mine to the bike but you can run it with a 9 volt. A 9 volt usually lasted us only a couple long trips (but my wife likes to run her mouth). I installed a switch so I can shut her up if I want to.

D

Old 07-22-2007, 02:23 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

How about the HJC 50? Someone in the classifieds here has one for sale. Still waiting to hear back from him. Opinions? Fox brand?

Old 07-22-2007, 03:20 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the chatterbox hjc-frx got ti on ebay for about 50 bucks with the headsets and extension cables. I dont know about the bike to bike part we use it as an intercom. at speeds over 40 the vox part does not work with half helmets. its ok we just use the push to talk button since my wife holds it it works fine. i just turn my head and start talking will push the button for me. it works fine this way even at 80mph we also hook up our mp3 player to it and it is ok sound guilty is not that great but it works. better than the earphones on an mp3 player you can still hear whats going around you. I would think there are better but for 50 bucks cant complain i would think the hjc 50 has about the same results. oh one other thing I dont hear well after 20 years in the army and this still works fine for me. the draw back is with the mp3 play hooked up if you turn up the volume on it you cant have the volume on the intercom up very high it makes it cut out. have to find a happy medium for a balance between the two. but its nice music turns off auto when you use the intercom.
PS for anyone else yes i can afford a harley with a stereo and can afford a better intercom but only use this one a few times a year so no reason to. and oh yes i can afford to add a stereo if i wanted to. last thing is if my grammer is bad or i misspelled something i already know i have issues with it no reason to tell me.