General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley low-profile touring seat - 8,000 mile impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2022 | 12:53 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

Looks almost like a Mustang seat. Very nice.

The following users liked this post:
Sarsippius (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022 | 05:55 PM
MiniWolf
|

Originally Posted by HD Gramps
Nice to hear. My Corbin should be here the middle of April
Is it your first experience with Corbin ? My first impressions when I got a Corbin seat ten years ago for my Super Glide was that it was hard, no way I will be comfortable on a long trip etc..Then after about a month it's like the seat wasn't even there and I was part of the bike. Seats with more cushion have their benefits but I never get that same connected feel to the bike as I do on a firmer seat like Mustang or Corbin. When I purchased the bike, I had used the stock seat on a 300 mile trip one weekend and when it was done I was pretty sore and had serious monkey butt. I rode a ~3.5 K round trip to Sturgis shortly after in August and was using the Corbin saddle. I actually felt significantly worse after that short trip using the stock seat. Constantly fidgeting and moving around to take pressure off a spot somewhere. After the break-in, there is no fidgeting on the Corbin saddle, at least with my experience.

I added a new Gold Wing last year and the stock seats are horrendously worse than anything Harley puts out and I went with a Corbin saddle in short order. About 10K miles on it since last May and the seat works just as well. Wouldn't want it to feel different in fact. But it does take a small window to break in. The leather and padding material is firm and designed to slowly break in like a bicycle seat. But once it conforms its like its not there. Seemed to break in quicker with this seat, probably because it is wider. I would say after 500 miles it was completely set to how I wanted it to feel. On the Super Glide, it was about 1-1.5K miles before I really felt the seat was a keeper and it all clicked. I do like the aesthetics of Corin seats as well. They do a very good job of matching the flow to the lines of a bike.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 03-07-2022 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-07-2022 | 06:09 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member

MiniWolf, how tall are you? Inseam? Thanks KW

Old 03-07-2022 | 06:12 PM
MiniWolf
|

Originally Posted by KW HD
MiniWolf, how tall are you? Inseam? Thanks KW
I am 6', 32" inch inseam. The low profile saddle works fine in terms of my dimensions. No complaints there.

Old 03-07-2022 | 06:14 PM
KW HD
Grand HDF Member

Haha, same here! Good to know. May have to check one out. Thanks KW...

MiniWolf (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022 | 07:27 PM
snapring6r
Cruiser

So, miniwolf, or anyone, I've owned only one Corbin seat in my life and it was on a sport bike. Seems that you have a pretty good insight on seats. You talk about the break in period, my question is, will a seat like the Corbin or Mustang conform to a new rider if they bought a used one? I recently purchased a Mustang super touring used and was wondering if I need to give it more time to conform to the wife and I? We have only ridden with it a few hundred miles so far. Thanks

Old 03-07-2022 | 07:54 PM
MiniWolf
|

Originally Posted by snapring6r
So, miniwolf, or anyone, I've owned only one Corbin seat in my life and it was on a sport bike. Seems that you have a pretty good insight on seats. You talk about the break in period, my question is, will a seat like the Corbin or Mustang conform to a new rider if they bought a used one? I recently purchased a Mustang super touring used and was wondering if I need to give it more time to conform to the wife and I? We have only ridden with it a few hundred miles so far. Thanks
I am just giving my subjective impressions based on my experience with a limited range of brands and models. I have owned both Mustang and Corbin seats. I really dont know about how a used seat with a lot of miles on it will adjust to a new rider. The low down touring seat I have came with a used Ultra I owned briefly before the Road King. It took a bit to get comfortable on it and I was thinking it might not work out but after a couple of trips it seemed to have adjusted and worked out OK. Whether that was just me getting used to it or it actually breaking in I do not know for sure. The Mustang super touring is kind of on the wide side. I do not own one but my brother-in-law does. I have not ridden on it for any length of time but when I have ridden his bike it struck me as having a lot of real estate to move around on so that might effect break-in if you move around in the saddle a lot. I didn't think it was bad overall but it was wider than I prefer and the widest seat I have ever been on. Didn't like how it forced me to move up a bit to get my feet planted flat at a stop. I prefer a narrower seat up front. That's just me and everyone is different. But it might not be that the seat isn't breaking in for you but you just cant get a comfortable position on it.

Old 03-07-2022 | 08:14 PM
HD Gramps
Road Captain
Veteran: Army

Yup, 1st Corbin. I've had several Mustangs and HD heated seats. Looking forward to the Corbin. Always wanted one but never willing to pay and wait. This one will be special. 1st time in 54 years I won't have my wife riding with me. She has Alzheimer's and just can't handle riding anymore. Hence, the Solo Seat and backrest. On the Backrest I'm having them embroidery across the top "Alzheimer's", the middle will have a purple Alzheimer's Ribbon, and across the bottom "Sucks". My version of flipping Alzheimer's the bird for taking my soul mate.

Sarsippius (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022 | 09:13 PM
Stowe
Tourer

I bought my RK used. It had a corbin (duel tour) on it when I got it. It's firm, but quite comfortable. Maybe the previous owner had a scrawny, boney *** too. Not sure, but I dont notice and need to re-break it in to my *** shape. Think about saddles (horse saddles). Ranchers that spend 12 hours in the saddle ride hard seat saddles that are nothing more than a piece of leather over a well shaped wood tree. Padding causes hot spots and pressure points. A well designed, firm seat it better for the long haul.

HD Gramps (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022 | 10:43 PM
Sarsippius
Cruiser

Thanks to everyone who chimed in on this I found it all very helpful. Saddles are definitely subjective and can quickly become expensive experiments. I’ve purchased a Mustang Super Touring seat and a Saddleman Road Sofa (extended) in addition to using the stock seat that came with the bike. The stocker was relatively uncomfortable and felt like I was to cramped. The Mustang is comfortable while in a riding position but is just too wide. I don’t like having to slide forward at every stop to get my feet planted. It also makes parking lot maneuvers difficult and uncomfortable. The Roadsofa set me too far back but it was relatively comfortable. I did wish it had more of a “bucket” feeling because it felt rather “flat” to me. The Corbin sounds like what I’m looking for. It sounds like it’ll put me lower in the bike and cradle me more so I feel more in the bike than on top of it. I think I’ll give the dual touring a shot. Hopefully I dig it so i can sell the Mustang and Saddleman to recoup some costs.

The following 2 users liked this post by Sarsippius:
HD Gramps (03-07-2022), MiniWolf (03-08-2022)

Quick Reply: Harley low-profile touring seat - 8,000 mile impressions.