General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMF Harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020 | 08:27 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Zerk
Is that one of those San Fran festivals? Glad that interior decorator is gone.
You can't be serious ????

Old 04-07-2020 | 09:31 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hellonewman
I like your passenger foot board setup, Im considering something like that for my 66 so I can take my kids out now and then. Who makes those and I assume there's a screw hole in the top of the fender for the passenger seat?
You can find those foot boards on J&P and at most swap meets, I think I bought my set for $20 at a swap. Problem with them is they do not fold up, so kinda suck with them hitting the back of your leg. Then I had to remove the right side board to allow for the use of the kick starter, soo the left one is there for my wife to get on and off the bike only.Like a saddle stirrup. She uses the clamp on pegs for riding.

You will need to drill a hole in the fender, then go to local dealership and buy the seat mount nut, plastic C clamp and screw form a late 90's bike. When you put the luggage rack back on, the hole is concealed.

Foot boards:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HARLEY-DAVI...YAAOSwUOJeTsXt

Seat mount:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Alumi...QAAOSw8SdeI8da

Just examples so you understand what i am saying, carry on.

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 10:13 AM
badger34
Cruiser

I was born in '62 so a little too young to experience new ownership of an AMF H-D. I do now own an orig paint '71 FLH that has been gone through but preserved as stock. Because of my family's history of working at H-D I've been working on historian level research for the past dozen years and have spoken with H-D retirees who experienced things first hand. H-D had slipped to the point of being vulnerable, they went the path of least resistance with AMF to avoid a hostile Bangor Punta Corp takeover bid. H-D's internal infrastructure was in bad shape and AMF's capital did indeed re-tool factories and fund development of future product that pulled them out of bad times.

The early 70's were turbulent times at H-D, a 1 month worker strike in June of '72 was followed up by a very contentious 3 month long strike in '74. One factor was the breaking up of Milwaukee's workforce with the termination of motorcycle assembly at Juneau Ave in favor of AMF's York facility beginning in '73. Another was the production number increases AMF had instituted in order to seek a return on their investment.

My grandfather had worked for H-D since 1934. He struggled greatly with what was happening in Milwaukee, to the workforce, his friends and the company he loved. In Feb of '74 my grandfather and a group of fellow Juneau Ave employees made a group purchase of Honda motorcycles from an out of state dealer and showed up with them in employee parking, they weren't well received and told to park them in back out of public view. He ended up retiring in May of 1975 completing 41 years at H-D.

I don't curse the AMF years or cycles and time marches on. AMF did help H-D survive through tough times and a takeover effort that one could only speculate as to how things might have changed for the future of H-D.

Old 04-07-2020 | 12:34 PM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member

41 yrs together, guestimate 300K+ They ate speedos too

1979 New

The following 6 users liked this post by mjrfd99:
Architect (04-07-2020), Dehammer (04-09-2020), greggreen (04-09-2020), RHPAW (04-07-2020), sixguns (04-07-2020), TwiZted Biker (04-07-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-07-2020 | 03:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
He's serious about trying to stir **** constantly. Trolling like a pro.....

The following 3 users liked this post by TwiZted Biker:
Architect (04-07-2020), OldDrummer55 (04-08-2020), Uncle Larry (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 03:30 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
41 yrs together, guestimate 300K+ They ate speedos too

Yup, my shovels been through 6 so far and ran without one for several years.

Old 04-07-2020 | 04:16 PM
cobalt07
Road Master

Had 2 Ironheads and 5 Shovels, all AMF. Paint and Chrome were better than now but mechanically I had quite a few problems. Worst that comes to mind, 1970 FLH electrical, 1973 FX sucked an exhaust valve on the way back from Daytona by Mt. Airy, 1973 XL piston slap and burned oil and was built into a race bike,1975 FX electrical and trans. Worst quaility control was a 1983 Lowrider. Trans access cover casting was short on 1 corner and thru small droplets on trans oil out. Swore I would never have another Shovel ever though I think it was the best looking, sounding motor HD ever built.

Old 04-07-2020 | 04:28 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Bought the 1974 AMF XLCH Sportster below new in late 1973 in a very nice dark teal color. Flames and longer front ends were in style so this is how it ended up a few months later.

Kept it until I bought a new 1977 AMF FXE Superglide just before the beginning of the 77 riding season in Maryland. As you can see it was a pretty good value.

I bought both bikes as H-D of Washington from Tommy Davidson (no relation to the Harley-Davidson). He did later open Whitt's H-D in Manassas, Va. Guess I helped him do that. I believe he died last year but had sold the dealership. .

Both performed flawlessly and leaked oil profusely.

AMF Harley-m76ctw4.jpg
AMF Harley-tvrjr4t.jpg

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 04-07-2020 at 04:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xcrossbow:
mjrfd99 (04-09-2020), Uncle Larry (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 04:51 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I never personally owned a AMF Harley but had a friend in HS who bought a brand new 75 Sportster. Another friend of mine and I drove him to the dealership when he picked it up. It was a beautiful motorcycle. I was a little jealous, because I didn't have the money for a new one and in my area pre AMF Harleys were going for more than a used one. . I soon found out why. It crapped out on him on his way home. The dealer worked on it and eventually he got it back and the second attempt it actually made it home. He had another issue within the first year and back to the dealership it went. It was taking a while each time they had it in there because the dealership was so busy fixing other bikes. Eventually he got it back and by that time the other friend of mine and I bought Honda's instead, partly because reliability and partly we didn't have much money. We invited him on an out of town ride and he went with us. It made it a long way from town before it crapped out again, had it towed to a different dealer. If I recall correctly it didn't have any more major issues after the 3rd time at a dealer, but it wasn't exactly trouble free either.

If I see and hear other people have a bad experience with something I don't have to personally have to have that bad experience myself to be leery of it, which is why I waited to buy a non AMF HD. I'm sure some people bought AMF Harleys and never had any trouble, I just didn't personally know any of them. Even the Harley mechanic at the 1st dealership wouldn't recommend buying a new Harley. He was not happy at some of the bikes that came into their shop from the factory at that time. If that particular bike would've had a theme song it would've been this one by canned heat.

The following 2 users liked this post by Long lonesome highwayman:
mjrfd99 (04-09-2020), OldDrummer55 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 05:20 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
No, good riddance to Willie. Cosmetics are for chicks.

Quick Reply: AMF Harley