General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

28861-07A Automatic Compression Release tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 01:58 AM
08 E-GLIDE
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 28861-07A Automatic Compression Release tool

What I require:

I just ordered two new ACR solenoids but forgot to order the socket to install them with. It's not a big deal, I figure I'll just grab a regular deep socket and machine a slot up the side on my milling machine. The problem is, I don't know what size socket I need nor how far the slot needs to go up the side of the socket. Can anyone help provide those two criteria for me?

Long story:

I'm freshening up my 2008 Ultra Classic. Currently it has 165,000 kms on it and the transmission was badly worn. I decided, since I was swapping the entire transmission out for another one that I got a good deal on (27,000 kms on it) that I would also put new cylinders, pistons and heads on the 96 twin cam. I bought 2008 "new take off" cylinders, pistons & complete heads with only 3 kms on them but the new heads are ported for Automatic Compression Release solenoids. My original heads were not, so this upgrade will be a new addition to the bike. Having said that, I've also ordered the appropriate wire harness that will allow me to wire these ACR solenoids into the system. I hate wiring and it appears as though this harness won't be a simple plug and play install. With that said, I don't have it my hands yet, so I'm speculating... Harley has also told me that I'll have to bring the bike in to have it reprogrammed. Just a half hour of shop labour, no big deal. Anyway, I was wondering if I'll be able to ride the bike with the ACR solenoids physically installed into the heads but not wired up (in case I decide to let Harley install the harness). What if I get the ACR solenoids installed and the wiring harness wired in but the bike hasn't been reprogrammed? Would I be able to ride the bike without it being programmed first (ride to the dealership to have it programmed for example)?

Is there anything that I should watch for with this harness? Are there any good videos or tutorials for the harness install? I'm not able to find much but perhaps I don't know what to look for. Mainly, I need to know what size socket I'll need to modify so that I can install these ACR solenoids once they arrive...

Thanks gang!
- Dan

New heads installed but I can't go any further assembly the top end until my ACR solenoids arrive. They've been ordered.

Replacement head with ACR solenoid port.

Original head without ACR solenoid port.

Photo for reference - its been a long few days. This is my first time digging this deep into my bike. I'm taking photos of EVERYTHING along the way. Having to stop and flip through the Chilton's manual searching for torque specs is tiresome...lol

Old 04-04-2020, 06:02 AM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Hmm. I have one of the sockets if i can figure out which one it is. I know i saw one yesterday with a big slot in it while rummaging around in the toolbox. I'll go out and look at it after daylight. Yes you can run the bike with the ACR's installed and plugged in but not activated. They have to be activated in the ECU or there is simply no power going to them and they don't do anything but sit there. I built my 2007 up to a 110 several years ago with later model ACR heads. The 2007 was the first year to have a harness that would work with the ACR. I used my TTS mastertune to activate them. My God, i am surprised the transmission lasted that long. I replaced mine with a new take off tranny from a later model at 50,000 miles and the main bearing had almost failed. I always used synthetic gear oil since new and it still would have went out.

The following users liked this post:
08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 06:25 AM
truckerdave

It's a funny looking 13/16 12 point socket total length of socket 3.1", it has 2 slots cut in it. lower slot is .475 wide X .500 deep. 2nd slot is .65 wide X 1.4" deep. Total length of slot/cutout is about 1.860. Hard to measure exactly because the edges of the slots are chamfered. Funny looking little thing.

08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 06:29 AM
truckerdave

I think in the instructions for the harness you may have to relocate a terminal or two in the the ECU plug before you plug them in. Can't really remember. I know there was a caution warning about burning them out if you didn't do it right.

08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 06:30 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,053 Likes on 667 Posts

You can ride the bike with the acrs not functioning.

If you have a power vision or tts you can turn them on yourself in the tune and also in the on screen quick tune menu. If you want more info on this (as I have done it on a 2006) pm me

08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 AM
truckerdave

I forgot to give measurement of socket thickness. It's pretty thin cause it goes in a tight hole. 1.082 or thereabouts.

08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:13 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Not busting your *****, but the H-D manual is way better than Chiltons. The little H-D ready reference torque guide is also a good thing to have around. Not pricey either.

08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 11:34 AM
08 E-GLIDE
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by truckerdave
My God, i am surprised the transmission lasted that long. I replaced mine with a new take off tranny from a later model at 50,000 miles and the main bearing had almost failed. I always used synthetic gear oil since new and it still would have went out.
Well the main shaft bearings are SHOT!! The automatic primary chain tensioner was over tightening the primary chain and causing grief. The end result were tranny bearings that had about 1/4" of sideways movement...lol. Not good at all. My Scorpion clutch wasn't even able to extend out evenly and would open like an accordion (if you know what I mean?). Needless to say, I'm installing a manually adjusted primary tensioner today...

It's a funny looking 13/16 12 point socket total length of socket 3.1", it has 2 slots cut in it. lower slot is .475 wide X .500 deep. 2nd slot is .65 wide X 1.4" deep. Total length of slot/cutout is about 1.860. Hard to measure exactly because the edges of the slots are chamfered. Funny looking little thing.
Wow!! I wasn't expecting it to be such a large socket! 13/16" seemed big for the dinky 12mm threaded hole the ACR is screwing into...lol. I guess the solenoid body is hefty enough to require such a large hex body underneath it. I thank you kindly for your help! I'll head out to the shop this week and put a slot as you described into one of my 13/16" deep sockets. I'll see if I can find a 12 point to do it with!

I think in the instructions for the harness you may have to relocate a terminal or two in the the ECU plug before you plug them in. Can't really remember. I know there was a caution warning about burning them out if you didn't do it right.
Ugh!! Maybe I'll let Harley install the harness. I can pull wrenches all day but I hate dealing with wiring... Unless I can find an easy to follow You-Tube video or something, I'm quite apprehensive at relocating terminals in the ECU plug....lol

Originally Posted by misfitJason
You can ride the bike with the acrs not functioning.
That's good to know! Thanks.

Originally Posted by dawg
Not busting your *****, but the H-D manual is way better than Chiltons. The little H-D ready reference torque guide is also a good thing to have around.
My mistake, I have the Clymer manual but I get what you're saying. The H-D ready reference torque guide would have been a handy thing to have on this job. I'll have to look into one for future repairs! Thanks.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:43 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,911 Likes on 4,134 Posts

If you don't want to go through the trouble of making your own ACR socket, JIMS has one.

JIMS ACR Socket

08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 04:44 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,644 Likes on 1,122 Posts
08 E-GLIDE (04-04-2020)

Quick Reply: 28861-07A Automatic Compression Release tool