General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking into a 2004 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020 | 10:41 AM
New Buyer
|
1st Gear
Default Looking into a 2004 Road King

Am looking at a 2004 Road King for sale. Have not owned before, but have test ridden a Heritage and Road King. It's got just under 25,000 miles and looks good. Dealership mechanic said it's a good bike. For some reason the original owner switched out the front fender (no HD emblem on it), and replaced both rims (which is fine because I am not a fan of spoked wheels anyway). Just looking for a little feedback on it, or older Road Kings in general.

Old 03-09-2020 | 10:59 AM
Silentgreyfellow
Cruiser

Ask the seller if the cam chain tensioners have been inspected or replaced. 25,000 miles is about when you want to take a look at them. They are the weak link in the 1999-2006 twin cam engines.

The following 3 users liked this post by Silentgreyfellow:
Campy Roadie (03-11-2020), Death Valley Ultra (03-11-2020), Harleylife1 (03-10-2020)
Old 03-09-2020 | 11:13 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Still loving my 03 RKC after 15 years!
No spoked rims for me either.
170 k miles

Last edited by Nokkon Wud; 03-09-2020 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-09-2020 | 11:19 AM
duoglider
Road Warrior

I ride an '03 RKC. It has approx 39,000 miles on it now.

At 21K the rear header pipe broke at the bend where it mounts to the frame. When I took it in to my local indy shop for repair the guy asked me if the mileage was in the 21-211K range and I said yes. He said that's when the OEM rear header always breaks.....rubber mounted engine with the pipe strapped to the frame is the cause....it doesn't allow any vibration give.

I replaced the OEM headers with Basanni true duals. That breakage will never happen again. A couple of years later I added the Bassani fishtails. GREAT upgrade IMHO.

At 38K I was about to do a long 4 day ride so had tires and tubes changed and also had the primary seal replaced along with the related seals and gaskets, and both rocker boxes upper and lower gaskets replaced. That service was optional at the time but I chose to do it. So had that done along with the tires, then changed the lubes myself and hit the road.

All in all the 03 has been the best motorcycle I've owned in 45+ years of riding. I've done regular lube changes, brake fluid service, battery replacements myself, which are all simple service tasks. And with each tire change I make sure the drive train systems and brake pads are all in good condition, and, if needed, I have them serviced while the wheels are off. I'm still hem-hawing about putting a Mother Roads tractor seat on it, although my old Mustang seat is still just fine....just wanting to try something different. And I don't see a need at all to change bikes, even though it's an 03.

Last edited by duoglider; 03-09-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2020 | 01:06 PM
New Buyer
|
1st Gear

Dealership mechanic said he wouldn't check that because of the time it would take. Also said that if they did that then it would just be better to make the upgrade while you had the access. Have read a lot about the cam chain tensioner issue and it does have me a bit worried. HD does say they should be checked at 30,000.

Old 03-09-2020 | 01:32 PM
FUJILICIOUS
Road Captain

My 03 was a champ and gave me 117k trouble free love. Motor was rock solid.
I miss the ol gal but traded up this past fall because it was time.

Old 03-09-2020 | 05:46 PM
Grumbler
Cruiser

Which Road King model?
1) Road King FLHR/I with hardbags
2) Road King Classic FLHRC/I with softbags
3) Road King Custom FLHRS/I with leather covered hardbags

Cheap way to rectify the cam chain tensioners is to simply replace the shoes with
those from Twin Power, but would also suggest replacing the inner cam bearings
from OEM to Torringtons.
https://twinpower-usa.com/engine/cam...ner-shoes.html
Amazon Amazon
Rear Y-header pipe will eventually crack or break. I went with the FullSac Dual
Conversion Kit and V-Twin Goodies Heatshield.
https://fullsac.com/product/true-dua...8-flh-touring/
http://vtwingoodies.com/pages/heatshield_24.html

Old 03-09-2020 | 06:54 PM
robarosa
Road Master

My opinion;
There has been problems with worn tensioners, but with that mileage "probably not."

If you like the bike and isn't making crazy engine noise I would get it. Then have the tensioners replaced with Cyco pads, bearings replaced. Will need it sooner or later if not already done. Good time to throw in some cams & lifters if you're ready for that. Then no more worry about that. Ride in peace and spend winters on the forum.

I allow extra $500 to $1000 to spend on used bike purchase for unknowns. Always worries on used bikes buys. That part come at no extra charge.

Also, if tires are old, add that to your expense.

hth

Old 03-09-2020 | 07:54 PM
Holzarbeiter
Tourer

[QUOTE=Grumbler;18934939]Which Road King model?
1) Road King FLHR/I with hardbags
2) Road King Classic FLHRC/I with softbags
3) Road King Custom FLHRS/I with leather covered hardbags

FLHRC/I does not come with soft bags, they are of similar construction as the custom just different style

Old 03-10-2020 | 07:54 AM
2goldens
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by robarosa
My opinion;
There has been problems with worn tensioners, but with that mileage "probably not."

If you like the bike and isn't making crazy engine noise I would get it. Then have the tensioners replaced with Cyco pads, bearings replaced. Will need it sooner or later if not already done. Good time to throw in some cams & lifters if you're ready for that. Then no more worry about that. Ride in peace and spend winters on the forum.

I allow extra $500 to $1000 to spend on used bike purchase for unknowns. Always worries on used bikes buys. That part come at no extra charge.

Also, if tires are old, add that to your expense.

hth
Another opinion: If I'm doing cams, I'm going gear drive and be done other worries. Did that on my 2002 Fat Boy back in 2004 or 2005. The old dog hasn't missed a beat.

Last edited by 2goldens; 03-10-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking into a 2004 Road King