General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious rear tire wear discovered just prior to ride.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 10:57 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
|
Cruiser
Default Serious rear tire wear discovered just prior to ride.

With 12000 miles on my Metzler 880's I knew that I would need new ones soon. But I almost waited too long. Riding buddy comes up behind me this morning just before our ride and says that my rear tire looks really bad. I looked and could hardly believe what I was seeing. Cord was not only showing, but it was worn through in a strip of at least eight inches long and three inches wide! And I thought that I had been checking the tread wear from time to time. Apparently not close enough! Maybe the last bit of tread goes really fast. Well, I headed straight down(slowly) to the local HD dealer and had a new set put on. They thought that I had been doing burnouts! Now, I am only 140 pounds and don't often carry a passenger, and I have read that riders seem to get somewhere between 10K to 14K on their tires. From now on, after 10K new ones go on. I've got $30,000 into this '05 Heritage and I don't know why I didn't change them sooner.

Old 07-19-2007 | 11:00 PM
Kolni
Banned
Default RE: Serious rear tire wear discovered just prior to ride.

You rode it like that?

Old 07-19-2007 | 11:04 PM
alexcue
Road Master

what pressures are you running on them? Heard Metz run higher thank stock ones. just throwing it out there.

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:07 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
|
Cruiser

Yes, I guess I did ride with cord showing. I am just glad someone spotted it before I had a blowout. I will be more attenative in the future to tread wear.

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:09 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
|
Cruiser

I've been running the tires at 35 front, 40 rear. That is about standard, I think.

Old 07-20-2007 | 09:19 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

Dealer replaced my rear at 7500. Yeah, I know dealer has conflict of interest but I'd rather replace a tire a little too early than just a little too late.

Old 07-20-2007 | 10:30 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
|
Cruiser

I'll be replacing mine early too from now on. Too dangerious to take a chance on tires that might or might not be good enough.

Old 07-20-2007 | 10:45 PM
scarygt
Road Master

My stock Dunlop was toast at 8K... My last bike had Dunlops as stock and I only got 10K out of the rear. I put on Metzlers and I have 15K on that rear and it still looks new. I swear by the metzlers. Maybe you are really hitting the throttle and spinning going into second. I've noticed that I can spin going into second.. and I never thought it was happening, but it is. I love the sound of my pipes that I always have to hit the throttle down low... oh well, maybe i'll have to deal with pre-mature tire wear.

Old 07-20-2007 | 10:53 PM
Still running
Road Warrior

I posted a story about a friend the other day that let his back tire get slick. While riding his 32k Screaming Eagle Ultra in the mountains a month ago, it started stepping out until he had to lay it down to stop. Not going to happen to me. I've got 5499 on it now and at 7500 "m going to start paying attention to it . So glad your friend got to play the angel. Be careful out there.

Old 07-20-2007 | 11:16 PM
roadkingsaddlebrooke
|
Cruiser

That is what I can't understand, I get completely worn through at 12K and others get 15K and still look good??? I do take off hard, love the sound of the pipes(95 cubes and V&H Longshots HS), always wonder why the rest of the traffic isso slow to get going. I haven't heard any slipping, maybe it is there, though.

Quick Reply: Serious rear tire wear discovered just prior to ride.