General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage Fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 07:02 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,554 Likes on 846 Posts

My house burned down back in the mid 80's. Lost everything except what I was wearing, my 72 shovelhead which was at a friends shop and some tools I had in a shed.
Made moving to Florida pretty easy, no packing.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:26 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,746 Likes on 4,244 Posts

Some years back the wife comes into my office screaming that the garage is on fire.

I thought it was a small fire. It was bigger than I thought. While attempting to throw a canvas painting drop cloth on what I thought was the fire, a propane tank exploded near me and I was injured pretty bad. We lost nearly the entire house. The only thing standing after demo was the foundation and the cinder block walls.

Glad you were smart and just got out. Wish I had.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:26 AM
shodown220
Road Warrior
Received 762 Likes on 408 Posts

Man thats terrible, at least you and the family are ok. I hope insurance makes everything right for you

Old 02-26-2020, 07:32 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,260 Likes on 1,760 Posts

That's terrible! Glad everyone is Ok and that it's confined to the garage. Sorry about the bikes!
Good thought about the extra smoke detectors and reminders to all of us about the cords.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:37 AM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

Wow Beldar. Looks like your fire was the bike itself! Major bummer!! I hope your insurance looked after you.
Buying another bike right now made sense to me. I wanted the buckskin and black paint and was lucky enough to find an unsold '19 at a good shop. And, sharing a single vehicle was becoming a pain. Having a bike again is an excellent morale booster.
Thanks for comments and encouragement everyone. I'm not looking for sympathy, otherwise I would have mentioned my first and hopefully last kidney stone attack. Cost me a week of being doubled over in pain in the middle of all this.

I mainly hope that you double check your insurance policy and get your smoke detectors set up to be monitored. It will cost me some hardware upfront, but going forward it's only $100 a year for the service, at least that's with Ring. They sell microphones that you set up alongside each detector. And, you have to have one of their better and more expensive doorbell units. The odds of me getting stung with another fire are extremely low, but I don't care. The impact is just too huge.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:52 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,910 Likes on 3,706 Posts

Hate to see stuff like this happen to anyone. Hope you find some normalcy soon. Good luck, brother.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:52 AM
Since 1968
Road Master
Received 458 Likes on 304 Posts

Caffeinebuzz, your event was far worse than ours! I hope your injury and pain are completely behind you now. We count ourselves lucky that nobody got hurt. The repairs to the house are going to include a few nice upgrades we were planning to make in the next year or two, and I was going to sell one bike and get down to one anyways. This was not the way to accelerate our plans though.....

The following users liked this post:
stixvrad (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 08:13 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 738 Posts

As difficult as it must be to deal with the house and garage damage You can be very thankful no one was hurt.

Old 02-26-2020, 08:16 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,343 Likes on 6,765 Posts

Sorry it happen. The bikes can be replace and you and the family are fine.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:16 AM
CaffeineBuzz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,746 Likes on 4,244 Posts

Originally Posted by Since 1968
Caffeinebuzz, your event was far worse than ours! I hope your injury and pain are completely behind you now. We count ourselves lucky that nobody got hurt. The repairs to the house are going to include a few nice upgrades we were planning to make in the next year or two, and I was going to sell one bike and get down to one anyways. This was not the way to accelerate our plans though.....
Thank you sir....I was never really that good looking to start, so no big loss as far as the scarring goes. The scarring is not bad considering the extent of the injuries. Both hands got hit pretty bad and at one point they though I might lose one of my thumbs. It was just a raw nub completly flayed 360. Can't believe it came back, with a nail even.

We got a brand new house out of the deal, basically. New windows, doors, flooring, paint, roof, appliances, electrical, plumbing, furnace. While going through the process, completely redesigned my house. Turned it from a sectioned off, 50's style ranch to an open concept great room ranch. As well, we got a **** ton of cash for the contents. We listed everything and they gave us depreciated, but very fair, value for every item. If I replaced it within the next two years and showed them a receipt, they reimbursed me for the difference. My nephew said it best when he suggested it was as if I'd had a garage sale and everything sold.

Quick Reply: Garage Fire