General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

payraise or not!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: payraise or not!!!!!!!!!!

I live 45 minutes from work and sometimes wish it was a little farther just for the ride. (Except when its cold or pouring rain or..) Even when I have to get up at 0330 hrs to make it to work by 0500 hrs. during the summer.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Guilty

The way gas prices are you would probably spend $700/month on gas, $200 more on taxesand 2 hours less per day with your family. You made the right decision.
Good points here. An hour each way can shave some real quality time IF that's a concern, but not everybody has kids ballgames, etc, to tend to I have a 45 minute commute to/from St Louis every day and I don't even notice it. But mainly, is $1000 before taxes worth the time and expense? And will the promotion bring headaches that you don't have now? Your profile says you're in clarksville, so I'm assuming you're looking at Nashville. Maybe you could carpool?

Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM
jimbo21165
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Show me the money! Put the whole grand/month in your retirement!

You'll be surprised how fast you'll have $500,000 in your retirement fund.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
blaw
Cruiser

I worked over an hour away for more than 8 years. I didn't realize how much it sucked until I got a job in the town in which I live. Very big difference in quality of life. Those couple of hours spent with your family and not on the highway are huge.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would've done it without a doubt...I'm 19 years old, no old lady, no kids. I work 45 minutes away from home right now, and that's really nothing to me. But that may also have to do with me living in the country, and the closest 'town' is 35-40 minutes away..and it isn't very big. So i'm used to driving a long way to get anything.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:12 PM
KenM
Road Master

1000/mo. less income tax. Less additional gas, wear and tear on ride or cage.
Two additional hours a day away from home.(maybe thats not so bad)
More time away in crap weather.
Move for 12000/yr - not likely

I gave up something like that after 18 months of commuting 1-1/4 hours in the morning and 1-1/2 to 2 hours coming home.
Wasn't worth it and hard on the family life.
It ain't always greener.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:31 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: so165

I was offered a promotion today, it would have been a $12,000.00 a month pay raise, but I would of had to drive an hour each way.And yes, I thought wow, a payraise and a good ride every day, but then the thought of those winter months popped into my head. Needless to say I turned it down.
Really not enough information for one to reach any form of conclusion. There are lots of variables that may come into play. Your age, stage of career, chosen profession, current rate of pay, and your financial and family situation all play a role in determining whether or not a raise is in the best interest of all involved. Another thing to consider is that - again, dependent upon the type of job you have - turning down a promotion can be tantamount to career suicide. You may find that the next 'promotion' and/or 'opportunity' may be long in coming. Not saying this is the case. But it is not altogether uncommon. And like some have mentioned, it really depends upon your current rate of pay and present day nest egg. If you're making 100,000 and someone offers 101,000; that's inconsequential. If you're making 14,000 and you are going to make 15,000; the relative difference is potentially more significant and impactful. Compensations aside, another thing to consider is that many promotions bring with them additional opportunities for advancement within an organization. It may be an extra grand today. But tomorrow may yield much richer rewards as a result. Just my take.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 PM
so165
Tourer

I meant $12,000.00 a year( I was justwanting it to be a month). there are good points to both, Idrovethat drive for over 4 years and was so happy to get this promotion which put me 5 minutes from the house. I get off work at 2pm every day and do not work weekends or holidays, so I have all kinds of time to ride. The other job would put me over many more people( more headaches) and I would have to work till 4 pm M-F.If I really was hurting for money then yes I would take it,but luckily I am not, so I can pick and choose. Just thought I would ask, just to check if I was retarded or not,lol!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was 12K for sure do it, $1,200 for two hours a daywhich roughly translates into 120 miles per day x 5 at least 600 miles on fuel and wear and tear,,, no way.

Just saw your post, you did the right thing.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:40 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

I live 17 miles from work... but have to commute up the 101 in San Jose. On certain bad days it's over an hour anyway if I'm not riding. Get that extra grand a month!!!

Quick Reply: payraise or not!!!!!!!!!!