General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defining "Engine Feel"

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 05:00 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Defining "Engine Feel"

Once, when complaining about vibration in one of my bikes, a mechanic said, "With any V-twin you're going to get some 'Engine feel". Since then, I've been trying to define "Engine feel" to my satisfaction. My Heritage has a slightly rough feel, primarily because it's a hard mount. My Suzuki (M90) has virtually NO "Engine feel" because it's all rubber mounted. Guess which one I like better? The Heritage. I've tried some 4 cylinder bikes and they bored me. No "Engine feel". On the other hand I've had a few bikes that rearranged my molecules every time I rode them. I like some "Engine feel", but not too much, I guess. But I still haven't decided what "Engine feel" really is.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:20 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Ride it for a few hours, turn off engine, put your ungloved fingers on the engine.......you’ll have your definition. ​​​​​

The following 2 users liked this post by dawg:
Huggerbugger (02-19-2020), leftyjm (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 05:24 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,891 Likes on 3,702 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Ride it for a few hours, turn off engine, put your ungloved fingers on the engine.......you’ll have your definition. ​​​​​
This seems like very bad advice.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:03 PM
IBE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,482 Likes on 1,747 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
Once, when complaining about vibration in one of my bikes, a mechanic said, "With any V-twin you're going to get some 'Engine feel". Since then, I've been trying to define "Engine feel" to my satisfaction. My Heritage has a slightly rough feel, primarily because it's a hard mount. My Suzuki (M90) has virtually NO "Engine feel" because it's all rubber mounted. Guess which one I like better? The Heritage. I've tried some 4 cylinder bikes and they bored me. No "Engine feel". On the other hand I've had a few bikes that rearranged my molecules every time I rode them. I like some "Engine feel", but not too much, I guess. But I still haven't decided what "Engine feel" really is.
to me what engine feel is, getting to know your bike and the way it always feels. then if you ever feel something different you know there is a problem. it basicly getting to know your bike and every v-twin has a vibration, not all are the same. simply because the motor mounts wear out at different times,,,and the angle of the v made by different manufactures.. i dont think there has ever been a bike made that dosent have a single vibration of some sort.. the more you ride it the more you will get to know it

Last edited by IBE; 02-19-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 06:42 PM
InspectorMark
Cruiser
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by IBE
to me what engine feel is, getting to know your bike and the way it always feels. then if you ever feel something different you know there is a problem. it basicly getting to know your bike and every v-twin has a vibration, not all are the same. simply because the motor mounts wear out at different times,,,and the angle of the v made by different manufactures.. i dont think there has ever been a bike made that dosent have a single vibration of some sort.. the more you ride it the more you will get to know it
I completely agree with this. Any Car, Truck, Bike, or boat I have ever owned had a feel. When something goes wrong you just know it.

Many times I have driven a loaner truck from a dealership which was the same vehicle as mine but is had a completely different feel.

The following users liked this post:
Mallard Slayer (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 06:48 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,198 Likes on 12,052 Posts

Back in the day my FXRP shook so bad, I could not use the mirrors when stopped at a light. Bringing up idle speed cured the problem.
Harley Davidson jug pulses is extremely erotic.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:01 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,481 Likes on 3,902 Posts

At the beginning of the day , before I ride , I like to fire it up , I sit on it , close my eyes , listen to pipes , feel the motor ..... gets your head right . Nothing erotic about that ....

The following users liked this post:
1999 flstf (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 07:50 PM
Mark out West
Road Master
Received 1,098 Likes on 533 Posts

i dont think there has ever been a bike made that dosent have a single vibration of some sort

Inline and flat 6 cylinder engines have zero vibration modes.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:55 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 213 Posts

I think you want some engine feel. It's like a heartbeat to me. I think the Japanese are making a mistake by over-refining their bikes. I've ridden many Japanese bikes and they just don't raise my skirt, if you know what I mean. They're too smooth.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:24 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,811 Likes on 2,545 Posts

When the wife and I rode my 02 FXD regularly she liked the "feel" of the engine in 3rd gear, of course I obliged her as much as possible.

Quick Reply: Defining "Engine Feel"